Sportbike Racing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am thinking of taking a freinds advice and buying an sv .
what do you guys think about these for a first street bike .
I have several years of dirt experiance do you guys think i will be allright if i go for a gixxer . I am having a hard time deciding b/c i like the looks of a gixxer better , but i dont wanna become one of these guys that
goes and buys some thing that keeps him from learning all that is needed to become a excellent rider. Any thoughts on this are greatly apreciated .

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
If you have good experience with controlling a touchy throttle (which the SV has, and which I think many dirt bikes also have), then you will have over-comed one of the major hurdles in properly controlling the SV.

If it's a matter of looks you can add R6, GSX-R, TL-R, or Sharkskinz racing fairings to your bike (actually, the R6 comes as a street kit, also). It will probably cost you close to what a 600 supersport will.

If you want a new gixxer, then why don't you get a beater 250 - 500cc bike for under a grand for your first 6 months to a year, then sell it for what you paid for it later and buy a new gixxer 600.

I don't like buying new bikes because I don't like taking the depreciation up the arse (I've owned 5 used bikes, and 1 new SV650. Most of the used bikes ran good as new).

·
Registered
670 Posts
As for it being your first street bike, I think it is an excellent choice. It's refreshing to hear you ask that of a reasonable bike like the SV. Usually, it's "how about an R6, GSXR 600" "it's ONLY a 600" kind of thing.

I know what you're going through. When I got my first bike ('96 Suzuki Bandit 600), I REALLY wanted a sportbike. I convinced myself that the Bandit was a better beginner bike. Two years on that and traded for my current TL. Now, I can't believe I've owned my TL longer than I had the Bandit.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just bought a brand new SVS as my first bike. I love it and think it will keep me happy for a long time. Here are a couple reasons to go for the SVS:

1. Insurance is considerably lower with most companies for an SV/s than for a 600 (but not all insurance companies).

2. It's light, nimble, and with the exception of a touchy throttle, very beginner friendly.

3. Has the power to keep you happy, but not get you into trouble.

4. It's amazing how many people on 600s stop and gawk at this bike. And it's kind of nice knowing that I don't have what everyone else has.

5. Big aftermaket following so you can mod this thing to your liking.

6. It will be fun when you have learned a lot more on your "smaller" sv in a shorter time and can whoop your buddies on their 600's in the twisties.

Just my $.02. I absolutely love the bike and it takes in act of god to peel my but off the seat because this thing is just so damn fun to ride.

Ride to see, not to be seen

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the opinions, i think i will wait to buy a bike untill after the msf course . I take it may 24 so i still have a long time to think about it.

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
I say go for the SV for your first street bike. I've had mine for almost a year now and 14,000 miles. I still love her to death! It rules in the twisties and city. /images/icons/cool.gif

I plead the 5th

1 - 6 of 6 Posts