Sportbikes Motorcycle Racing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tightened my chain on my SV and when I went to torque the nuts I noticed the left sight marking plate moved a little back and forth when the nut was loose. The right side didn't do it. So, how critical it that movement to the alignment of the rear tire? How concerned should I be and what do I need to do to make sure my rear tire is aligned properly when I adjust the tension of the chain?

·
Registered
9,753 Posts
Those things are a pain!

Raise the rear on a stand. Standing behind the tire, eyeball the rear sprocket. Rotate the tire and watch the chain on the sprocket. The teeth should be in the middle of each link and STAY that way as you rotate it.

Gravity is a cruel mistress.

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I kinda thought thats what I needed to do. However, I'm going to need a rear stand to get it accurate. Oh, well.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
If you're too cheap to buy a rear stand, go steal two plastic milk crates. Then, go buy some swing-arm bobbin's from your local mo'sykle shop ($10) and install them.

While your bike is on the kickstand, place on milk crate on the right-side of the bike, just under the right-side swing-arm bobbin. Lever the bike up onto the milk crate. The bike should be easy enough to hold in that position with one hand so that you can slide the other milk crate under the left-side swing-arm bobbin. It is a fairly stable set-up, and I have yet to have my bike fall-off. Cheers!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts