Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I just purchased an SV 650 last week. Used to drag my knee a lot with my former ride (ZX12R) fitted with D207 sportmax tyres. Now can anyone tell me what is their opinion on the original MEZ4 tyres fitted on the SV650s as far as grip goes? Should I turf them right away or can I expect reasonable grip from those skins? I intend to race my bike in the canadian SV cup circuit so I will have to fit Michelin Pilots later on but how much fun can I get out ef the MEZ4's in the meantime? I am not interested in tyre longevity, only in cornering performance. Any input apreciated. Anyone planted his/her knee on the tarmac with the MEZ4 (and survived)?

Thanks for the input...

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
gnak-i only put about 1k miles on the stock tires, and i swapped them out with pirelli's. i hate metzeler's so i'm a little biased!! the MEZ4's are more of the sport touring made for longer life with less grip. definitely swap those puppies out if all you're worried about is corner performance.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
I've never had a problem with my MEZ4s in terms of cornering grip over the 9,000 miles I've had them on. I wore the left side to within a few mm of the edge, so that should be more than enough to plant your knee down. As far as grip on corner exits at such lean angles, I've never had any traction-breaks, but this is at street pace, not at race pace.

If nothing else, get some BT010s and sell off your Metzlers if they still have good life on them. If the MEZ4s weren't so expensive, I'd have probably put on another set. Good tires.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I didn't like the MEZ4's. I put on BT010's for a track school last summer and I love 'em. They stick great and inspire confidence. I just never felt comfortable with the MEZ4's.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I'm swapping mine out for the D207s asap. I've felt'em slip a few times here and there, now it just worries me.

Old enough to know better, but young enough to not care!

·
Registered
105 Posts
MEZ4s are excellent sport touring tires. I can lean my VX800, which has good cornering clearance, until the muffler scrapes. Nonetheless, you'll want racier rubber for the track.

And, by the way, Pirelli owns Metzler, and I was told by a Pirelli tire engineer that some Metzler and Pirelli tires are identical except for the tread pattern.

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
You'll make it allright on the stockers, but I wouldn't recomend them for the track if you're gonna be there often. I switched to 207's and have had no complaints.

I plead the 5th

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all for the info. I think I will swap the oe tires for a pair of Michelin Pilot (soft compound) and resell the brand new Mez4. Just don't trust them much as I consider them sport touring. I don't want my tires to last, I want them to stick!!! Keep the comments coming though, mucho apreciated!

If the knee don't slide it ain't fun!

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
My buddy has a 00 nekid SV with the Michelin Pilots, and he loves them! Good choice. /images/icons/cool.gif

I plead the 5th

1 - 9 of 9 Posts