Sportbike Racing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this in the tech forum but thought I'd list it here as well as you guys know my equipment so well...

I'm looking at upgrading the stock suspension on my '01 ZX9R and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations. For the front end I'm looking at companies such as Race Tech, Traxxion Dynamics, Petersen Pro Suspension and Lindemann Engineering. Any help in differentiating among these would be appreciated, or have you any plus or minus feedback on any one of these companies?

For the rear shock, I'm considering Penske or Fox, but am also considering the less expensive alternative of doing a rebuild upgrade such as that performed by Race Tech. Admittedly a Race Tech upgrade to the shock is not as good as a quality aftermarket unit, but is much less expensive and my understanding is it would still be way better than stock. Can anyone provide feedback? Thanx in advance for any advise

See you on the inside of the turn.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I have had great results with FOX SHOX on both a 1990 FZR 1000 and my 1994 ZX9R, and that would definitely be the way to go on that end, high quality & easy to set up, provided you read the instructions. Lindeman Engineering & Race Tech both have great reputations (do you think just ANYONE buys a 1/2 page ad in a magazine?), so either would be a fine choice to that end. To paraphrase the movie Mad Max, "speed's just a question of money, how fast do you wanna go?"

<font color=purple> This bike capable of evading high speed pursuit!</font color=purple>

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Mike at Edge Motorsports (who finished 11th at the Daytona 200 this year) recommended a RaceTech upgrade for my bike. If I wasn't buying a house...

·
Registered
274 Posts
I have a Penske shock and race-tech gold valves in my 98 ZX-9 forks (compression circuit only, since they do not make one for the rebound circuit). I also put straight rate springs in the forks, going a little stiffer since I weigh about 200 pounds. Then to be real anal i also added race-tech fork bushings, inner and outer. The result is a smooth ride that for sport riding I can stiffen things up, and for the commute make it softer. The penske shock can also be revalved if i like and its totally rebuildable as well. IMO suspension changes are far better for investment todays bikes rather than a farty burbly pipe. Its not how fast you get in a corner, its how fast you can get out of one...

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

IMO suspension changes are far better for investment todays bikes rather than a farty burbly pipe. Its not how fast you get in a corner, its how fast you can get out of one...

<hr></blockquote>

I agree, but with a better suspension you have the confidence to go INTO corners faster, too!

·
Registered
734 Posts
I did Race Tech to both front and rear on my 01. Still trying to get it dialed in at the track. If I had it to do over again I would probably go with the Penske or Ohlin on the rear. After all is said and done on the rear it would only be another $3 -400 to get a new shock vs the rebuild. Ditto the "put your money into the handling, not the horsepower"

Go Big or Go Home. <font color=red>Or just make sure you make it home?</font color=red>

1 - 7 of 7 Posts