Sportbike Racing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
suspension Tech\'s Real Question

This is a question for those in the know. I just purchesd a 2002 ZX9r and have racked up 1100 miles.with minor adjustments to the stock settings. My question to you is before I start playing hit and miss with my suspension settings is their a real answer as to where I should start. the stock settings for a 2002 ZX9R are for a 150 lb. rider. What should I start playing with if I weighh 190 lbs.All I want to know is where should I start compared to the little guy or should I go on a DIET?
Dano

Officer I was no where in the area at that time!!! Trust me

·
Registered
976 Posts
Re: suspension Tech\'s Real Question

I second this thread. I have the same question essentially. For me though, I am interested in all purpose settings rather than track.

The frog will fly at midnight.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts

I've got a really good link to setting up your suspension at home. I'll post it after work if someone else doesn't before me.

It will be tops on my list as well. I don't really fit the "racer" profile at 6'4" 215lbs /images/icons/smile.gif

Here's a good site with definitions of all the suspension terms to get you started... http://www.vtwo.demon.co.uk/firestorm/suspension.htm

·
Registered
2,228 Posts

First thing you should do is set the sag. Someone put a great link to instructions on this and I'm sure you can find it by searching DR or How To. When I bought mine I started by stiffening things up a touch just to account for the extra 15 lbs. Then made small adjustments as I felt were needed. I didn't make very many though.

Forgive & forget. Just never forget when I forgive.

·
Registered
748 Posts

If you're truly serious about getting a good setup then it's time for new springs and valving. Anything else is going to be a major compromise. That said it really depends on the level of your riding. If it's just normal road stuff then set the sag and be done with it. Another thing to try is to go to your local race track and find some of the racers who are prepared to give advice based on your riding style- this is another area where track schools can really help.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts

I second spindizzy's answer. Find a racer or go to a race shop that know about riding and ask for their help. Thats what I did and he set the suspension up on my bike. I also gave the guy some business by buying some oil and filters for my bike.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts