Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was contemplating pickuping up another bike, namely a V-twin and was wondering what Superhawk owners have to say about their bikes??? Due to a neck/shoulder injury, I can't stand more than a few minutes of an RC51 or Ducati... Of course I'm keeping the VFR though...

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
ObDisclaimer: I don't own one, but I've ridden the used one we had on the floor...

They're nice. the riding position is slightly lower and more forward than the VFR, but nowhere near an RC51 or Ducati 748/996 posture. The bike is very narrow and feels much lighter than the VFR. Soggy front suspension is the most common complaint I've heard (aside from horrid mileage), and it's fixable by Race-tech/Lindemann/Traxxion/<insert favorite suspension tuner>.

If you can find someone who has one, test ride it... mmmm, wheelies /images/icons/laugh.gif They're really underrated by most people, which makes the price less on used examples.

-nominal_squid-
SMUSA #11

·
Registered
6,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The VFR has the same soggy front suspension, going to Race tech that soon... But I was thinking of either the Falco or VTR1000, since Ken and Nick BOTH have one now, I don't want to be another Falco in the crowd... Plus I am giving Kathy the VFR, she can't complain...

·
Registered
142 Posts
Ya the forks need to be revalved and springed! So what. As a all around bike, you won't find a more fun for your value bike!

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Mirage~ You just want another inline-4 around so ya' don't feel lost in the forest of V-motors /images/icons/laugh.gif!!

-nominal_squid-
SMUSA #11

·
Registered
6,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If I wanted an inline 4, I'd be asking about the 929 or 954... Unfortuantely I need a more upright riding position... Besides, I have to be a V motor fan...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Those things get horrible gas mileage. Like 90 miles and you are on reserve. I used to have a TL and it was the same way.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I had a 1999 black Superhawk. It was a great bike and I really miss it and the wonderful sound of the bike.

They are very very underrated bikes. When I had mine, I could stay with all the CBR riders I rode with except right at the top end. Low in the rpm range I had the advantage.

The fuel tank was small on the 1999 model but I think they have put a larger tank on the new ones. The front suspension is a little soft but just tighten it up a little and it does OK. The front is raked-out a little more than a CBR so it is not a stoppie machine. It sounds like you are use to soft front since you have been riding the VFR. It will seem like an improvement over a VFR.

The VTR is an extreemly thin bike and I loved that feel. It is fairly comfortable and I took a few long trips on it. Say 300 miles or so and it was great. Not as comfortable as a VFR now, but more fun.

It is a very sporting bike for the money. It wheelies easy but does not have the rpm range for long fast wheelies. If you do not need to run 180 miles per hour (mine toped out close to 160) or run hard on the track then it is a good investment for a fun bike. Just put some good after market exhausts on to pump up the sound.

I think they will either change it soon or drop production of the VTR personnaly since more people are buying the CBR.

Here was mine

<font color=red>Hawk </font color=red>/images/icons/cool.gif

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
wow the whole group practically will be on new bikes this season! cool! how is it once again, that I will be on the smallest bike? /images/icons/laugh.gif

the superhawks are nice VTL. I heard the seats are quite comfy too.

-Dara

·
Registered
6,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dara, it's nice to see you on board the Honda forum, I hope we have another happy convert to our way of life. I've ownened like 8 Honda's and 1 Suzuki and still presently have 2 Honda's... I doubt you are going to be on the smallest bike, maybe heightwise... hehehehe... Kathy will be on my CB-1 for the time being, but I doubt it's going to be running before the bike blessing... I'm not planning to run out tomorrow to get the Superhawk, I'm researching it right now and I doubt I am going to buy a brand new one, either a 2000 or 2001... I just want to hear from people who have owned them and get some feedback... I have no interest in running 180 MPH or doing stoppies so those aspects of the bike are of no concern... As for wheelies, I rarely go above 100 Mph on a wheelie so I don't think I'll have a problem... I'm wondering, how adjustable is the suspension on the bike? I'd race tech the forks no matter what anyway, it just makes sense... I care how the bike handles in tight backroads since that is the majority of what I ride ie: North Shore Long Island... Jared, I was in your work when you had that one in there, if you remember i was sitting on this saying I could get into one of these...

·
eNVisible
15,777 Posts
NS~ At least I won't be the only <font color=red>Honda</font color=red> in the group. If that came to be then that would be heartbreaking. /images/icons/frown.gif

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Mirage~ No cause for worry...I always have a Honda or 2 around /images/icons/laugh.gif

-nominal_squid-
SMUSA #11

·
Registered
6,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This will make Honda #3 in my garrage if I get it.. Would still like some feedback from people who own one...

·
Registered
176 Posts
Can't go wrong easily adaptable to whatever type of riding you do (except dirt) Cheap to modify lots of stuff avail in the states and overseas. Biggest drawback not cutting edge or taken seriously buy many sportbike people. It's a huge grin to ride though.

Y2KVTR
Low Tech.,Hi Fun

·
Registered
6,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Bumping this up, still looking for more feedback... I'll have the money in 2 weeks and actually, I have my eyes on a Black 99...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts