Sportbike Racing Forum banner

stripper

1K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  62736 
#1 ·
what is the best chemical to strip the paint off plastic fairings and the gas tank and also the best way to do it

Im the prince of all saiyans once again!

#3 ·
haha, my father did auto body for 20 years and said something to the effect that using stripper would hamper the finished product...nuff said for me...and i'm usin a lighter grit than even 220 wetsanding my bike....rub forever..fingertips get raw, but it'll be fun when it's done:)

#6 ·
you shouldn't need to take your paint all the way off to repaint it. Scuffing it should do the trick. Don't forget to add the flex additive to your paint mix though!

"Yes officer, I DO think this is my personal race track!"

#7 ·
I'd agree with SuperMike. Unless the paint is cracked or peeling u don't need to strip it off just sand enough to remove the shine.

Also it depends on what color your going, finer paper will produce the best finish. 400-600 dry sanding will be sufficient.

Flex additive will help for resisting rock chips at high speed..

Have Fun..

#13 ·
to get the fender off, just take out the bolts that are holding it in. believe me, you'll appreciate it much more if you do it by hand, i'm doing it, i dont' care if i ride a naked ass streetfighter around, or with my plastic half finished, when it's done, it's gonna be soooo hot haha:)

#14 ·
willie i started sanding yesturday and am using the 220 grit can the 220 grit be put on a small power sander or would it eat up the fairing also the front fender seems to be stuck after taking out the bolts help

Im the prince of all saiyans once again!

#15 ·
i can't reallly exactly pinpoint what is holding your front fender on....if i can remember...ther's 2 bolts near the front brake setup that you might have missed while removing.

isn't sanding by hand fun? as i'm sanding my bike down i can see where the people that did it before used a DA sander, it leaves a distinctive pattern, you can use a power sander but you have to go easy, and like, it's a hard thing to explain on the net but you gotta start with 220 and get the surface near smooth, then feather it out with lighter grade paper...sorry ic an't be of more help.

#17 ·
I have painted about 10 bikes over the last 7 years, and have had excellent results with Dupont Chroma base paint and 7600s clear. They're urethane based paint & clearcoat, so no flex additive is needed, they're VERY easy so spray, (provided you have a good paintgun & know how to use it), and easy to buff out to get that shine! It's all I'll use.
You WILL need a special primer for the plastic, I use Tremco water based plastic primer, again, very easy to spray, and sands like butter. Just remember, preparation is key to a really nice finish, along with patience! Good Luck!

<font color=blue>That's not a <font color=red> THREAT, <font color=blue>it's a <font color=red>PROMISE!!/images/icons/mad.gif

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.