Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know how to make an Aprilia rs250 meet U.S. emissions standards without
drastically affecting engine performance? Probably not, huh? Oh well.

·
Registered
234 Posts
2 stroke motors are not allowed on the street in any state I believe. That is why no manufacturer makes a 2 stroke road bike for USA. A guy who rides with the group I ride with has one, but he uses a dealer's tag. He would probably get a fine for using a non-legal vehicle though if a cop stopped him and knew what was going on.

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
Here's an idea... what if you bought a "Totaled" Aprilia Mille? One that was crashed? Who cares if it is non operational or was salvaged? Ask you're local Aprilia Dealer if they ever hear of someone totaling their bike to get in touch with you... you then buy it from the insurance company for maybe $1500 bucks for parts.

Go and register the bike in your name and get a tag for it... the tag office in my area anyways, DOES NOT come out to the parking lot to check your bike! When inside, if they ask about the status of the bike... tell them you fixed it back up. You get the tag, now go and put it on the 250!

IF you get pulled over, do you honestly believe the cop can tell the bike is a 2 stroke just by looking at it? As long as it says "Aprilia" on the side, he'll be happy... I highly doubt any cop is gonna look at the VIN number on the bike's frame to verify!

If the 250 has any stickers that identify it as a 250, I'd probably remove those.

When I crashed my Daytona last August, my buddy bought the bike from my insurance company and fixed back up to working order... he even got a new tag for it with NO hassels whatsoever. The Tag Office never asked to see the bike.
The only problem this little scenario presents is insurance... you're gonna have to get insurance on the Totaled Aprilia even though you didnt fix it back up... big deal! At least you have an insurance card to present if you get pulled over.

BUT, and this is a big BUT! IF you crash the 250, you are SOL!

M.

·
Registered
314 Posts
You can do a couple things.

Buy this one.

Ad Number: 2825 Date Posted: 03/02/2002
500 Powervalve blvd
Webster, Texas 77598
United States Telephone: 281.486.7607
E-mail: [email protected]

Description
1997 Aprilia rs250 street bike, very nice and dead stock, very low km's. Includes matching brand new solo cowling too, see pictures at....

www.motopriximports.com

and get Eric to register it for a price.

Or search for one that has already been brought to the US and DOT certified. Remember, street legal 2strokes were banned in the US after 1985, but find the right inspector (the dumb looking one) and you'll not have a problem.

Also, I understand you can buy one, register it for street use in Maine and transfer the title.

Remember, a brand new Aprilia RS 250 goes for about $9K US. Then you need to add the electrics (headlight, turnsignals, brake lights, horn, etc.)

They're out there, you just have to look for them.

1977 Yamaha RD 400 French Blue
1977 Yamaha RD 400 Chappy Red
1984 Suzuki Gamma

·
Registered
670 Posts
unless I'm mistaken, the Aprilia rs50 is a street legal 2 stroke. It is essentially a scooter w/ a standard motorcycle transmission. Don't expect much from the little 50 cc 2-stroke, but you could ride the f*&k out of it and not break any laws.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Yeah, it's a 2 stroke, but it $3,999!!

That's big bucks for a 50cc bike.

Then they sell the 80cc ported and polished cylinder and piston kit for another $500. Have to rejet the carbs and change the exhaust for another $700-$1000.

So for $5,000 you'll have an 80cc 2 stroke, with bad breaks, that'll do 65 mph.

Owwww.

I know, I looked into that route. Rather take the $5000 and buy an RZ and fix it up to origional.

1977 Yamaha RD 400 French Blue
1977 Yamaha RD 400 Chappy Red
1984 Suzuki Gamma

·
Registered
827 Posts
Those 50cc aprilia bikes are a joke! i just got back from panama city beach, FL for spring break, and there is apparantly some company that rents them out. So, in addition to 10 million riced-out yet still slow subcompacts, the streets were littered with probably a few hundred rs50's, ridden by a bunch of kids that look like that guy in the video for that song "pretty fly for a white guy". as for performance, i think a talented unicycle rider could leave one behind.

·
Registered
883 Posts
The RS50 is way cool for a city bike. You just can't think of them as a motorcycle. The government doesn't, which is why they are street legal even thought they are 2-stroke. They are classified as a scooter.

·
Registered
9,753 Posts
==IF you get pulled over, do you honestly believe the cop can tell the bike is a 2 stroke just by looking at it? ==

OK an amusing 250 story for you guys. My racing partner and I just brought his Aprilia RS250 home a few weeks ago.

I live in a neighborhood, in a dead-end cul de sac. So we fire her up and he putts up the street real slow. He is going slowly mostly because he has no clue how to ride a two stroke! He gets to the top of the hill and turns around and comes back. He did MAYBE 15 mph.

He gets back to my cul de sac and this unmarked cop car comes screaming up behind him. The guy jumps out and starts yelling at my buddy. "Get off the bike, get off the bike!" My buddy looks at him and says, "I don't have a kickstand." Officer Hardcore yells "lay it down and step away!" My buddy laughs and says "you must be kidding, I am NOT going to lay my bike down in the street!" Well that's when I come strolling out of my house to enter the scene.

To make a long story short, someone had complained weeks prior that kids were riding dirt bikes in our development. This cop thought my buddy was the culprit. I got a little pissy with him because he flat out lied and said that HE had personally seen this bike (the aprilia) riding around the neighborhood last week. Thing was, the bike had just arrived at my garage the day before!

Anyway after some heated words he realized I had caught him fudging the truth a bit and he backed down. But as he got into his car to leave this is what he said...

"Just make sure you keep that thing off the streets and in the dirt where it belongs!" And he drove off in a huff.

LMAO!!!!!

Gravity is a cruel mistress.

·
eModerator
7,723 Posts
Actually in a lot of states registering is not a problem. It would be no different than making a super motard out of a 2-stroke dirt bike. You certify to the state that you have modified the bike to meet STATE standards for street use, so if your state does not have emission rules for bikes you should not have a problem. I know for a fact this works in Colorado and Wyoming.

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
I wonder about putting a 250 engine in the RS50?

HP is a poor substitute for experience and ability.

·
Registered
4,780 Posts
<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

Poster: Phukit
Subject: Re: Street Legal RS 250

<hr></blockquote>

Wouldn't be worth it...but if you really wanted to you wouldn't even have to get it from Aprilia. If I remember correctly, the 250 comes from Suzuki/images/icons/wink.gif.

·
Registered
6,544 Posts
<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

<hr></blockquote>

Different frame - You'd be wasting your time.

Scott /images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Your chances are slim and none, bro, and I wouldn't even chance riding one on the streets. If you think most cops can't tell the differences between a 2 stroke and a 4 stroke you might be in for a surprise. /images/icons/cool.gif

It's not worth the hassles...

Daffy

1 - 15 of 15 Posts