Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
eWorldChamp
5,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone... I hope you guys can help and point me in the right direction...

After three weeks in the garage my bike doesn´t turn over anymore. The battery is fine, airflow and gasolineflow are also fine.
When I hit the ignition-switch, the starter makes a speedy tick-tick-tick-tick... almost like a mid-pitched rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr sound, but the engine doesn´t turn over.

Any experience? Does that mean, that my starter is fried or do I have to look somewhere else?

TIA!!!

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
When you say "the battery is fine", how did you make that determination? The battery may show 12+ volts, but still not be able to produce the necessary current--amps--to spin the starter.

At any rate, it sounds like a current problem: bad battery, bad battery wire(s), poor/dirty connection(s). The "ticking" you hear is likely the starter solenoid and would generally indicate that the solenoid is OK. You can test the starter by removing the starter wire from the starter solenoid and connect a car battery directly to the starter wire and to the motorcycle frame using a set of jumper cables--positive to the starter wire and negative to the frame. To avoid damaging the bike's electrical/ignition system, don't hook the car battery up to the bike battery or to the bike's wiring harness--just directly to the starter, and be aware that the starter will spin immediately upon connection, so you may wish to hook up the positive lead of the jumper cables to the starter wire and touch the negative lead to the frame just long enough to see if the starter spins.

That said, I suspect you'll find a discharged/bad battery and/or bad connections.

·
eWorldChamp
5,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nope, I didn´t, but the controls lid up very bright. I had bad batteries before, and it always showed dim control lights and it turned over slowly, making an ueekueekueek sound. I should get my multimeter out. And get a new battery.

Thanks for the input so far :wtg I will be able to test it Monday and approach it a little more systematically, because the bike sits inside my companies cellar. Thanks again!

·
eChuckB
7,122 Posts
Be cautious about cranking the starter with a suspicious battery...lower voltages can weld the contacts in a gear reduction starter..no a good result.

·
eWorldChamp
5,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I´m getting a fresh battery tomorrow and will charge it sunday to monday... Thank you for the warning... I posted here, because I recall all those things, that you can mess up... and simply getting a new starter isn´t right, I guess...

·
eWorldChamp
5,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow, I feel kinda stupid. The battery is dead! I bought a new one, topped it off with some acid and started the bike. Just like that. Maybe after 3 years it´s supposed to do that, esp. if the bike sits outside and is ridden all year around.

Lets see, what the old battery does now... I topped it off with the rest of the acid and am charging it now. If it holds some charge, It´ll become a nice little 12V lamp for late-night barbeque or smth. similar.

Thanks for your inputs! :wtg :)))

1 - 7 of 7 Posts