Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
redCBR said:
Cool thanks...ordering a 15/47 with a 520 chain. Since i am going 1 down and 1 up should the standard size chain fit okay?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're ordering it online, it won't matter. The chain will come with the standard 120 links. You'll have to cut it down to whatever size is necessary to fit. If you're getting it from a shop, they should cut it for you.

If you've already got the chain, I think it will fit but you'll have to try it and see.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Cool thanks...ordering a 15/47 with a 520 chain. Since i am going 1 down and 1 up should the standard size chain fit okay?

[/ QUOTE ]

As noted, the chain will come long. You'll need to cut it down.

I used the standard (108, I think) number of chain links for my 15/46 combo, and its just a little bit long...Obviously, from the smaller front sprocket. Your setup should be even closer to spot on.

FWIW, I have a 520 setup on my '01, and I'll be going back to a 525, with steel sprockets front and rear. The 520 wears out too fast when you're putting on miles, especially with aluminum in the rear. I changed my sprockets and chain this spring, and they're already due for replacements after like 8k miles. On the other hand, I pulled the stock stuff at 18k, ONLY becuase I was starting to adjust the chain every 500 mile lube interval. The sprockets looked fine!

If you don't put tons of miles on your bike though, 520 is okay.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
bxr140 said:
I used the standard (108, I think) number of chain links for my 15/46 combo, and its just a little bit long...Obviously, from the smaller front sprocket. Your setup should be even closer to spot on.

[/ QUOTE ]

Keep in mind that once you change the sprocket sizes, the adjustment marks on the swingarm become meaningless. I went +3 rear when I changed mine early this year. With the stock number of links it wouldn't go. With one extra link and set to the proper tension, the marks are well within the "replace chain" range on the adjusters.

I recommend you set the tension to the high (loose) end of the spec and clean and lube it regularly. Less wear on everything that way. I set mine when I installed it and haven't needed to adjust it since (3500+ miles).

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Keep in mind that once you change the sprocket sizes, the adjustment marks on the swingarm become meaningless.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not meaningless (you just need to note where you "started"), although I'd contest they're not all that meaningFUL to begin with. Once you're past that initial chain stretch, you shouldn't need to adjust too many times...then towards the EOL, you'll have to start adjusting more often.

Not that I have enough talent to tell the difference, but its also interesting to note what effect the sprockets (and chain) have on your wheelbase WRT stock.

·
Registered
358 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
bxr140 said:
FWIW, I have a 520 setup on my '01, and I'll be going back to a 525, with steel sprockets front and rear. The 520 wears out too fast when you're putting on miles, especially with aluminum in the rear. I changed my sprockets and chain this spring, and they're already due for replacements after like 8k miles. On the other hand, I pulled the stock stuff at 18k, ONLY becuase I was starting to adjust the chain every 500 mile lube interval. The sprockets looked fine!

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed! I only got about 6k miles out of my 520 conversion kit, and the stock one gave me around 24k and it wasn't even done when I decided to "upgrade". I've since swapped back. I check/clean/adjust my chain every couple weeks, and was extremely disappointed in the life of the 520 kit. I asked a guy at the local shop where I bought it how long it should last, and he said "Ohh, you should easily get 5k miles out of it"...I wish I'd of known that before buying it since I put 300+ miles a week on my bike.

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
FWIW, I've got 9000 miles on the 520 DID chain and AFAM sprockets--with the hard anodized aluminum rear--on my 600RR, and both chain and sprockets are still, literally, like new. I just adjusted the chain--a hair--for only the third time in those 9000 miles (h*ll, the chain quides still register in the "new" range), and the teeth on the rear sprocket have just barely worn the anodized finish off but show absolutely no other wear.

This is my 3rd 600 running DID/AFAM 520 set-ups, and they've routinely matched/exceeded the heavier stock set-ups in terms of longevity. And they've seen race duty in addition to weekly up-tempo Sunday rides and extended high speed touring.

However, a number of aluminum sprocket manufacturers don't offer a hardened product like AFAM and others do, and cleaning, lubrication, and maintainance are more critical with an aluminum sprocket than with steel. But, with a quality product and close attention to proper care, they'll last just as long (on a 600) as steel. :waytogo:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.