Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any suggestions on spark plugs that would have to be replaced once a year. I really hate changing the plugs and the its a pain and expensive to take it to a dealer. By the way I ride about 8000 miles a year and have a 7R.
Any suggestions appreciated.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I'm not too familiar with the set-up of your 7R (never actually monkeyed around with one), but maybe if you picked up a spark-plug specific socket set, it could make it way easier on you. On my old Suzuki GS750EF (I know Suzuki, but I've got and EX500 now) I used my brother's set to take out the plugs - it was a little tight, but it worked. Probably be cheaper than taking it to a dealer....

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
I change mine every 10,000 miles and I'm sure they could go twice that.

·
Registered
20 Posts
ngk cr9e, if you dont have your ign. advanced, they should last you a good while. they did for me till i started screwin with the ign advance and retardation stuff. nippondenso makes one also, but i dont know the part number. im sure you can cross refrence.
suckerounch7r

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

Serpentine, do you use the stock plugs?

<hr></blockquote>

Yes I do, NGK's.

·
Registered
299 Posts
The real question is why is your bike going through spark plugs so quickly? Unless your bike is heavily modified (upped compression, big bore, radical cams, NOS, or forced induction) you should be getting 7-10K miles out of a set of spark plugs. Have you had the bike dyno tuned with a wideband O2 sensor? If not, that might be money well spent. In the interim, you could try the dual electrode CR9EK.

-Ronnie

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just asking because I like to have the dealer/mechanics do a tune up once a year. Manual says change plugs, gap etc at so many miles. The guy I bought the bike from ahd the hotter plugs in and when I changed them It took me an afternoon. Had a hell of a time getting the airbox back on and the two interior plugs are a bitch to get out because of the placement of some other part. Right now it runs pretty good. Figure I'd put some long lasting ones in if it was worht it.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Take your time and enjoy the expierence, get up early , drink some coffee(or whatever you drink) become one with your machine...

Just don't get madd and beat the hell out of it like rodney king! (no offense rodney)

/images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
623 Posts
There isn't any noticable difference between the CR9E and the EK's. The two electrodes aren't worth the extra cash. Overkill or not, I change my plugs in my 9R every spring.

·
Registered
299 Posts
<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

There isn't any noticable difference between the CR9E and the EK's

<hr></blockquote>

Except that the electrode is unshrouded. It does make a difference. You are correct, it is not worth the added expense on a good running bike, but on one that is fouling plugs, hard to start, or even running rich on the big end it helps.

-Ronnie

·
Registered
138 Posts
After reading this post, I'm curious about this spark plug issue. I'm running NGK CR9EK plugs in my 99 ZX9R. I chose the plug because it was recommended in the owners manual that came with the bike(not service manual). But I went out to the kawasaki site and ran a search on the 99 ZX9 the site recommended NGK CR8EK for my bike. I have +4 ignition advancer installed. I wasn't aware the advance made that much of a difference. give me some feedback on this and let me know if I'm screwing up something here. should I be running the CR8EK?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts