Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
to transfer it to my new bike.

Well, after ALL the paperwork is done and everything is ready to go, the sales guy says,

'oh yeah, there's one thing. I'm so sorry I forgot to mention it earlier. But, I have to tell you. Some 'Tom Cruise' guy put a tiny dent in the tank.'

So, we proceeded to look at the dent. It's a small dent. But, it's a dent.... on my supposedly BRAND NEW ride that I haven't even had on the road yet. We couldn't haggle the price down since the paperwork was all signed.

I don't want to stop the deal because I don't think I'll easily find this bike again (the 599). So, surprised, we stood there, looking at this little ding, said we weren't the happiest about it, and left.

The guy didn't offer us anything.

The more we thought about it last night, the more we were upset. This is a brand new vehicle with a dent already in it. I want them to repair it or knock money off the price.

It's just my luck. Anyhow, my husband (Jaseman on these boards) is going to the dealership tonight to try and work something out. I don't know what they can do, but I want the tank fixed. But, I don't know if it's possible. :flame: :flame: /wwwthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif :frown:

Sorry, just venting. No one in my family would understand or want to hear this story.

·
Premium Member
24,352 Posts
They should repair/replace the tank! /wwwthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

That bike was YOUR property, and that "Tom Cruise" guy damaged it :flame:

·
Registered
6,188 Posts
whoever the "tom cruise" guy was- he didn't damage your bike.

you bought the bike in the condition you last saw it in. that was undamaged, and you surely could assume it would still be in this condition (you haven't been informed, and could assume no one moved it or similar since it's sold as "new").

instead informing you this guy lured you into the paperwork and told you later.

i would call that fraud. damn, you could see a lawyer about this.
he absolutely knew he couldn't sell you the bike with that dent without going down in the price (at least) so he lured you into the paperwork. he cheated you.

probably thought "uh, just a woman, first off she doesn't know anyway and second what she's gonna do?"
:bird:

have jaseman nail him.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Get a lawyer, and I bet with even the THREAT of litigation, they'll back down big-time. What the dealership did was underhanded and dishonest, and I'd let them know that if they don't remedy the situation to your satisfaction, you'll never miss a chance to tell people what they did to you. You could also contact the Better Business Bureau too, that will create a record of the complaint and what the dealership did to correct the complaint. On a sidebar here, never sign anything until you've made one last inspection of the car/bike/house/etc. That will help you avoid this exact scenario. Good luck with the situation, hope it all works out.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
They should have insurance for this kind of thing, so there shouldn't be an issue with them fixing it. The other thing to bare in mind is that if it comes with a warranty, how willing would they be to do warranty work on it if they are willing to be dishonest and underhanded over a dent in the tank? Have you test ridden it? What other unseen damage might the "Tom Cruise" guy have done? /wwwthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The more I think about it, the more angry I am.

I did throw my leg over it one last time before signing. I should have been thorough in looking at it. It's stupid to assume that since it's brand new in a showroom that it's flawless. But, I won't take too much blame on it... he should've told me.

Jason did research - a new tank is costly (over 900 bucks). But, he's doing his research. He's ready to call Honda (the big guys) and is ready to call the BBB. We'll see how it goes.

We're not sure if the dealership is open today. I hope it is because I don't want to wait until tomorrow for all this to pan outl.

·
Registered
6,544 Posts
Tell the dealership, politely but firmly, that you bought a NEW and UNDAMAGED bike, and that you expect them to replace the tank free of charge. If it comes to that, a polite letter from your lawyer to the dealership, making sure to copy Honda USA, will light a sufficient fire to ensure they do the right thing.

Scott :808876-nono:

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Well, it's 9:45 here, and the dealership dosn't normally open untill 10. And they are usually closed on Wednesdays, but I'm hoping that since it's Christmas time, maybe they'll be open today.

Before I contact a lawyer, I'm gonna give them the chance to make things right. If they do, "no harm, no foul." But, if they don't.... Well, I have the phone numbers for American Honda's Customer Service, The BBB of Western Pennsylvania, and my local AMA feild rep. If those don't get me results, then I'm sure a lawyer will.

I should have said something last night at the dealership, but I think we were kinda in a state of shock. But now I plan on getting results!!
:flame: :flame: :flame: :flame: :flame: :flame: :flame: :flame:

·
Registered
7,177 Posts
Don't start off with the big guns, reserve them for later...but make them understand very clearly that you expect them to make it right and that the sales-hole 'neglected' to mention it until after the ink was dry.

If they reputable, they'll take care of it and apologize.

If not, the sales guy will have selective memory about 'Tom Cruise' (WTF does that mean, anyway?) and you'll have to get nasty.

Regardless, get it taken care of. It's a new bike - the first ding is YOURS to make. :wink:

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
[ QUOTE ]
PorradaVFR said:
If not, the sales guy will have selective memory about 'Tom Cruise' (WTF does that mean, anyway?) and you'll have to get nasty.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had to quote that Tom Cruise mention. I didn't know what the hell that was, but it was funny.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
PorradaVFR said:
Don't start off with the big guns, reserve them for later...but make them understand very clearly that you expect them to make it right and that the sales-hole 'neglected' to mention it until after the ink was dry.

If they reputable, they'll take care of it and apologize.

Regardless, get it taken care of. It's a new bike - the first ding is YOURS to make. :wink:

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I don't plan on pulling out the big guns unless absolutely needed. And the shop has always had a good reputation. I'm sure they'll make things right.

But I think what has me so fired up is that the salesman didn't come right out and say that it would be taken care of. Instead, it was more like an afterthought. "Oh yeah, there is a ding, but it's not real noticeable!" Kind of like he just expected us to take it and be happy! :flame:

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
lucidity03 said:
It's still there. It was to be delivered on Friday. We left a message saying it had to be fixed. But, they're not open today. So, we have to wait until tomorrow to see what happens.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good that it's still there. Definitely don't take the bike home till it's fixed. If you complained about the dent and then took it home, they could turn around and say that you made the dent... denying ever having the conversation about 'Tom Cruise' and his antics :crazy:
But I agree w/ TJ... they'll fix it.

G

·
Don't worry. I droped my bike the 1st day i got it. I left the kick stand up some and the bike fell over. They should have to fix that.

·
Registered
855 Posts
I agree with StuDaddy.......don't bring the bike home till the dent is fixed. If you bought the bike in mint condition you should get it in mint condition. Don't settle for anything less. The dealer needs to pay for this and get it fixed. Make sure you stand your ground. :waytogo:

Good luck :grin:

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Re: So I go to give the dealership my plate last n

just write a check for the bike and then when it bounces tell them, "I should have told you earlier, but there's no money in that account"

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.