Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are some things I can do to minimize a skid?

Let me describe the situation:
Right hand 180 degree switchback with a dip just past the apex. Good visibility on the exit so you can open the throttle and accelerate hard.

Except the rear end steps out a few inches coming out of the corner when I rebound off the dip. I know the road, I'm ready for this to happen, and I don't do anything extreme like cross the double yellow. Still, I'm losing traction when I would like to have more.

What can I do to minimize the skid?

It was a little cold today so the tires might not have been as warm as other days. But it's happened on warmer days, too.

I've been gradually increasing my air pressure (to about 35/36-ish psi) and noticing a big improvement in the bike handling and stability from the recommended 29 front/32 rear. Maybe I should knock it back to 33/34?

New tires for better grip? I can't go very big or very modern ('91 EX-500 with 16" wheels) but a guy today recommended Dunlop GT-501s over the cruiser/touring tread the bike had when I bought it.

Is there anything I can/should do to the rear shock? It's got a spring adjustment (nut to set pre-load). More pre-load or less? I weight 170-175 depending on what I ate last night.

Should I simply convince my wife that a brand new GSZXRFi Supersport would be safer than my current ride?/images/icons/crazy.gif

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Im not a suspension xpert but I would have to say that with the limited adjustment that you have (no compression or rebound damping) youre stuck with the preload and tire pressures. The preload determines how much pressure (stiffness)is in the spring before you ever go over a bump. If your bike is being sprung up off this particular bump you might want to...Damn, Haga just elbowed Bayliss! Sorry. Anyway I would try to decrease your preload with the recommended tire pressures. The harder you ride the more heat will build up and increase your pressures, so be aware of that. If you bottom out on that particular bump, youll have gone to far in lessening the preload.Good luck.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks fulchat, but I have bottomed out on another bump on that route.

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
I think it's time to upgrade your mount, another 100cc's and 2 more cynlinders should do it.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
heh. I followed Greg up and down GMR yesterday. He on his EX500 and me on my ZX-6R.

There has never been a more solid demonstration that it's all about the rider, not the bike. Man, he kicked my ass up and down that hill. /images/icons/shocked.gif

I can't wait to follow him when he gets a new bike.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Mike, although to me we're pretty close to skill. I know I make all the mistakes you mentioned to me. Nothing like a little ego boost. I had a blast on the road yesterday.

And Serp, I'm now accepting donations for the 100 cc cause. Please send all checks to GregS c/o Esportbike. I might try for a little corporate sponsorship from the local dealer. Maybe I can set up the 100 cc charity so Smokenonu or BRB can have a place to donate their 929s./images/icons/laugh.gif/images/icons/laugh.gif/images/icons/laugh.gif/images/icons/laugh.gif

·
Registered
198 Posts
Well, you *could* upgrade the shock on that EX500... I'm sure Fox or Works Performance makes one for it... there's *way* too many of those things that saw racetrack use back in the early 90's (and maybe still, been a long time since I've been to a racetrack)... but then you gotta ask yourself if spending the $ on the EX500 is better than saving that ca$h to get a new ride... I raced a rz-350 YAM, and I couldn't pretend to know how to set up an EX500 suspension... the "twin-clicker" that I put on my bike made a world of difference though. I'm sure that there are some around who did (and still do) know how to tweak the EX's; those things can be (or at least used to be) *suprisingly* fast bikes on the track.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts