Sportbikes Motorcycle Racing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just curious to what other advantages one could expect from a single-side swing arm mod, than just easy tire swaps! I was looking at Muzzy's single-side swing setup, on their website, and it does look sweet! They don't give too much info about it! In fact, they say CALL to find out the price, as Im sure with other details! But with a MAJOR modification like that, Im sure its some BIG bucks! IF money wasn't a factor, I'd get it for looks alone! That being said, even IF money wasn't a factor, what performance changes could I expect to see with a mod like this? Has anyone done this to their ride, here? Does it help cut some weight? Does it help stability? Turning or straight line? Does it make it worst, for either? How much does it cost? Help give me some details please!! Thanks and Mahalo in advance!!

"FLY WITH ANGELS....and live to tell!!"

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Well, they look cool /images/icons/cool.gif

I actually asked this question many moons ago and there were some interesting answers (mostly just people replying that they looked cool though /images/icons/smile.gif)

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
well I know some of them if not all are heavier than regular swingarms which puts more weight on your bike

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Single sided swingarms are used in racing for one purpose and one purpose alone. Rapid fire rear wheel/tyre changes. Thats it.

They are actually not so good from a performance standpoint because to be equally stiff in torsion they need to be bulkier than dual sides swing arms. Imagine a whell goes over a bump: with a double sided swingarm, this causes a torque about the arm pivot, causing the suspension to stroke. The arm itself might flex some along itslength also. But when a wheel mounted on a singsided arm hits a bump, not only is there a torque about the arm pivot, there is also one about the arm axis, that tries to twist the arm.

If you can't picture what I talking about, hold your arm straight out in front of you with the open palm facing downward. raise your arm while keeping it straight. thats a torque about pivot about your shoulder arm. The swing arm strokes up and down just like your arm does at the shoulder. Now hold your arm out with the palm facing down again. Now instead of raising your arm, rotate your palm so it faces upward. thats torque about your arm's axis, causing it to twist. This is the torque that a single sided swing arm faces in addition to the torque that causes it to stroke up and down. This is not good because it changes the camber of the wheel.

a singlesided arm that flexes along its the length (bending) in the same as a double sided arm needs to be bulkier than a double sided arm because it must also resist this twisting (torsion). there are bending and torsional forces in the arm associated with transmission of power and braking as well.

Single sided swing arms also affect the frame of the bike. A single sided arm causes a twisting force on the frame that a double sided arm does not. To understand that, look at your keyboard. place each of your fore fingers next to each of the ctrl keys. push. Now take away one finger and push again. What the keyboard does is different depending on where the forces are placed and how many there are. If the frame was not designed for a single sided arm, its going to not perform as well as it would with a double sided arm, and you might have unstabilities appear in its behaviour.

So,

1. SS swingarms look cool and make for lightening fast wheel changes. Spin one nut and its off.

2. SS arms are heavier and bulkier than DS arms. Ducati has been taking about going DS on their race bikes if it becomes necessary.

3. fitting SS arms to frames designed exclusively for DS arms can potentially, but not necessarily cause performance problems.

__
Life is precious. Treasure it.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I have seen a zx9r with a vfr swing arm modified and fitted, looked pretty cool but from what the owner told me that the vfr swing arm weighed Alot more than the stock one.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
keep in mind, the swing arms counts in the unsprung mass of the bike. every ounce counts. 10 lbs more of the swing arm is far far more ruinous than 10 on the frame or engine.

__
Life is precious. Treasure it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts