Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, this year they're using 600s for the event? Does that mean the superbike guys are riding a 600 or they're not riding at all? I don't understand what's going to happen this year :help:

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
I'm curious to see how the FX 600s will hold up for 200 miles. I recall last year that Honda backed off on the max revs (IIRC, by about 1K--which is a lot) for at least a few of the (sprint) races, citing motor concerns.

·
Registered
944 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
JoshN said:
So the superbike race will be shorter than 200 miles I guess. And the FX bikes will ride 200 miles?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, there will be a 'traditional' length superbike race run(75k seems to stick in my mind), as well as the Daytona 200 running FX machines. So far I think Yamaha and Kawasaki have stated they won't be running a factory team in FX, and therefore the Daytona 200. Honda is the only manufacturer I've heard should be there for the 200. I'll bet defending champ Duhamel will be running for them.

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
Why do you say that Daytona racing is going extinct? They are still racing there. I think there are different issues going on, but they are systemic and not just focused in Daytona.

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
well, just because the race seems less important year to year, the Daytona 200 not even being a superbike race means it loses even more luster. The crowds are smaller & smaller every year, the track's even less suited to the bikes. The Daytona 200 used to be prestigious, guys came from Europe & Asia just to do the one-off race because it really meant something. Like Foggy talking smack & then losing was a big deal. Now you would never see anyone go out of their way to come and race it. The factory riders who have to race it arent even happy about racing it.

I guess i dont mean that its literally going extinct, yet. But the Daytona 200 went from being a big deal to being a support class race with one factory participating. Hell, i'm happy they are racing, period since the AMA lost two rounds in what was already a really short season.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.