Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So all of you that read my post a while ago know that I dumped by bike. Well the insurance company says it's totaled. I'm thinking about buying it back from them but want to know if it's worth it. Here is the damaage

2002 Yamaha R6
-Left Side Engine Cover needs to be replaced
-Left Side rearset and shifter needs replaced
-Rear Hugger, Front plastic and all side plastic needs replaced
-Tail section needs replaced
-Gas tank is scratched badly on the left side, needs to be repainted (if possible) or replaced
-New Windscreen

Now the shop says it is 6500 dollars to fix it. I know the plastic is expensive but it can't be that much to make it rideable again. The problem is I would need to replace the plastic as well to make it look decent and I'm wondering how much that would run up the cost. The insurance company is giving me 6 grand. I owe 1300 on the bike. I don't know how much it will cost me to buy it back but I'm wondering what you all think about it.

ZMan

·
eScreaming Dizbuster
12,112 Posts
A bike with a salvage title can be hard to insure and sell.

If you want to keep this bike, you should try to work out a deal where you'd accept a lower settlement, in order to do the repairs yourself and keep them from totalling it.

·
eStarbucks
17,313 Posts
1. Get the engine covers (with gaskets) ~$200 (fix it yourself)
2. Get Woodcraft rearsets (with shifters) ~$200
3. Get DB windscreen ~$100
4. Get Sharkskinz street bodywork $377+$236+$206 (Solo tail)
5. Can of Bondo for the tank + Black primer for the tank = $10
6. Ignore the hugger... you can live without one. (or get a cheap one off Ebay ~$75)

I'm at $1326... for a little extra: skip #5 and get the whole thing painted... I spend $500 CDN for a full paintjob.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
If that's all that's wrong with it, I can't imagine it costing that much to fix. OEM plastics are way expensive, but there's eBay or you could get a set of Sharkskins and get a custom paint job.

Woodcraft rearsets ($220) and left side engine cover ($180) aren't that much, then the rest is bodywork. Sharkskinz tail section ($206), one piece street upper ($377), one piece lower ($236) and windscreen ($69).

Parts are about $1300, but can vary depending on where you buy. Add paintwork and you've got yourself a new bike with a cool paintjob, for a lot less than $6500.

·
eStarbucks
17,313 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
erik996 said:
If that's all that's wrong with it, I can't imagine it costing that much to fix. OEM plastics are way expensive, but there's eBay or you could get a set of Sharkskins and get a custom paint job.

Woodcraft rearsets ($220) and left side engine cover ($180) aren't that much, then the rest is bodywork. Sharkskinz tail section ($206), one piece street upper ($377), one piece lower ($236) and windscreen ($69).

Parts are about $1300, but can vary depending on where you buy. Add paintwork and you've got yourself a new bike with a cool paintjob, for a lot less than $6500.

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldn't have said it better myself. :grin:

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
Ebay is your friend ,and youl still have plenty of $$ in pocket . Just dont try get it perfect again , a few scratches are nothing unless .......

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
I low sided my Daytona at about 30. Right side all rashed to hell. Got 4200 bucks insurance settlement out of it. Between ebay, repainting my own engine covers and living with a few small scratches it cost my about a grand to put it back together. Used the rest to pay of the bike and drop full coverage. Also repair or get the parts to make it ride able first and then just be patience for the right parts to come up on ebay. I'm still waiting on right side tail blue tail plastic.

I agree on the negotiating a lower settlement to not total the bike. For me the only thing I would do with a totaled bike is track bitch it.

Here is an example 4200 bucks worth of damage!

Doesn’t take much damage to total a bike. OEM parts are so damn expensive; I swear if you built a whole bike piece by piece it would cost 40 grand

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Ditto with what most are saying. Negotiate lower payment and don't total it. Then work on it your self using Ebay parts and some tools from Sears. =)

You really give a hoot about bodywork with scratches? 600 grain sand paper and WalMart spray paint baby! =)

Stay tuned to my "where does this bolt go" thread to follow my "fix at home" project.

PEACE!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts