Sportbikes Motorcycle Racing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
eCancelChristmas
13,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
see, that pesky \"prototype\" rule again

finally, the clearest reference yet. relates to the suzuki this time 'round, but you get the idea. copy/paste from mcn...
__________________________________________________________________________________________

GSV-R inspires V4 road bike

If the GSX-R1000 isn’t enough… Look forward to 180bhp road-going version of Suzuki’s GP four-stroke

22 Mar 2002
By Ben Purvis

Suzuki is building a road bike based on its GSV-R MotoGP racer and you’ll be able to buy one in 2004.

For the full story, you’ll need to pick up a copy of MCN, out on Wednesday, March 20, this week.

Unsurprisingly, the firm isn’t keen to reveal details of the bike, but Suzuki’s MotoGP team boss Garry Taylor says a road-going machine is virtually certain. He told MCN: " It makes sense, obviously. All manufacturers in GPs, and particularly Suzuki, are using racing as a way of developing the breed. One of the reasons people are so excited about four-stroke GPs is the relevance to road bikes. I can’t imagine there isn’t going to be a road bike coming off the back of it. "

Even Suzuki’s decision to rename it " GSV-R " , replacing its original name " XRE0 " , points in that direction.

Any road-going relation to the GSV-R will aim to replicate its GP-style look – but under the skin the bikes won’t share much. The GP rules state racers must be prototypes which don’t share parts with production bikes and the enormous price of the one-off components used on racers will stop them being transferred directly to production lines.

What we’ll get is a V4 motor of about 1000cc, closely based on the GSV-R’s 210bhp, 14,000rpm, 990cc unit, capable of around 165bhp at the rear wheel. The firm’s MCN Machine of the Year GSX-R1000 – which will remain on sale if a GSV-R-derived bike is launched – makes around 145bhp at the wheel
__________________________________________________________________________________________

not sure what the implications are for ducati's V4, but it certainly seems to reinforce what i originally thought...? believe me, i derive no pleasure from this possible realization... :(

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Re: see, that pesky \"prototype\" rule again

I'd sure love to hear the Desmosedici... Hopefully they make some soundbytes available to download in May when they fire it up for dyno-testing.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts

Shamar, your not implying that you would be dissapointed with a road going V-4 Duc are you? I wouldn't, simply because one of the reasons that I like my bike so much is the racing heritage that the bike is built around. If Ducati motorcycles were never to change we "ducatisti" would putting around on 125cc single cylinder, bicycle based machines, or would we?. It is for that reason that I am excited to see what Ducati has in store for the upcoming GP season and anxious to see what road bikes are derived from it. Well, as long as it isn't designed by Terblanche/images/icons/wink.gif.

If I'm shootin at ya and ya stay still, your probably safe.

·
eCancelChristmas
13,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

naw... LOL... i'm implying quite the opposite... :) that being the technophile lover of "all things desmo" that i am... i (like many others), would hate to see a "watered down" consumer version of this motor now that we've been "tantilized" by descriptions and pictures like the above one posted by desmoD... :(

i'm of the opinion... if you as a manufacturer know the rules say you can't produce a true consumer variant...? than stop trying to capitalize on the general ignorance of the motorcycle consumer by conveniently leaving out lil' "technicalities" like that when making announcements that your planning a road version...???

clearly the implication many of the "uninformed" are left with... both here, and over in the 4 other manufacturers forums (i know, i've debated with some of them), is that they would be getting something a lot closer to what they currently see being "wrung out" in the IRTA pre-season tests.

i guess i don't take well to having my (or my fellow motorcyclists) intelligence insulted. the manufacturers know that most of their target audience are "lemmings" so once they get their "marketing hype machines" spun up to full speed, they can sell 'em on just about anything... :( unfortunately, it's not human nature to question the validity of that which we find "desirable".

SHAMAR1... DEFENDER OF THE MEEK... PROTECTOR OF THE INNOCENT...!!! :)

·
Registered
5,036 Posts

Too true Shamar. A friend of mine with too much money already has a deposit on a RCV211 at the local Honda dealer as he heard that there will be a street legal model and he want to be the first one on the block with a 215 hp, V5 bike. I tried telling him that we won't be seeing anything like that, but he remains confident as he read something about Honda "possibly producing a streetbike with a V5 configuration in the future".

Take care,
Gregory

I could have been a squid, but I was too busy posing.

·
eCancelChristmas
13,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

aw man... see... :( hey greg... put a "freeze" on that guy's assets will ya...!?!?! somebody's gotta save him from himself... LOL

·
Registered
47 Posts

how many times do we have to go through this?

read the rules for yourself. who cares what mcn says in their article summary? in year one of the new gp, new four stroke models can't be based on existing machines; they must be something new because motogp wants to stimulate interest by only having new bikes on the grid. thereafter, there is no restriction on producing a road-going variant based on the gp bike. read the rules, read the press releases directly from motogp.

and obviously, the street bike is not going to be an exact replica of the gp bike. can you afford magnesium swing arms, titanium rods, racing clutches, $20,000 ohlins forks, carbon fiber brembo brakes, and an engine tear-down every 1,000 km? it's just like superbike: the road bike is the same in broad architecture only. troy bayliss' superbike probably doesn't share more than a handful of parts with the 998 street bike, if that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts