Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[rant]

:flame: We're talking INTRO To Principals of Biology at a COMMUNITY college (aka high school without the lockers). As my luck would have it, I got the hardest teacher that teaches this course.

First off, this is only a 1 credit hour course yet the class is an hour and 50 minutes long per week. I'm not Math major but something doesn't add up there...

Second, his grading scale consist of a whooping (catch the sarcasm) 200 points for the entire semester. Three 50 point exams and quizes every week adding up to 50 points. Very very little room for error on quizes/exams, you miss just a few points and your grade drops fast.

The class started out with about 28-30 people in it, the day of the final...8 people were still in the class. That should tell you A LOT. Of the 8 left, several of 'em are girls who get straight As (you know, disappointed with a B, going into deep depression over one C, and if they got a D they'd probably commit suicide) and they stuggled to maintain a C in this class.

His quizes aren't easy, you have to do more than just show up and listen (that's fine, whatever). His exams, are just insane. So in this last section of 3 we had 4 or 5 five question quizes, of the 20-25 questions/concepts/terms that were on those quizes...zero of those were on the test, none....studying the quizes, worthless. His exams, 35-40 questions...all open answer. Never would this guy even think of putting a word bank, true false, matching, multiple choice question on any of his quizes or exams. Nevermind the fact that he doesn't look for understanding of general concepts, he looks for dumb, insignificant details. Examples, on this last test he asked us what the name of this machine was that we used 4 weeks ago (spectrophotometer)...not what that #ucking machine actually does, just the name...like anyone gives a sh*t about the gd name. :rolling:

<font color="blue">And heres the sh*ttest part</font>, a good friend of mine is enrolled in the EXACT same course but with a different teacher...her teacher's test...ALL MULTIPLE CHOICE! Seriously, WTF? Do you have any idea how tremendously unfair that is...get one teacher, course is a walk in the park, get the other teacher, you're screwed. :flame:

[/rant]

<font color="red"> SERENITY NOOOOW! </font>

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
I’m so glad I got through school. I have to admit many years later the classes I didn’t care about and that had the toughest teachers I still retain a good chunk of the information.

Yea going through the class sucks but years later when your in a social situation with a very hot female doctor and she starts talking shop and you somewhat understand. Instant panty dropper.

BTW if you manage to get past the “chicks dig intelligence” factor it’s not really a bad thing to actually learn something.

·
Registered
459 Posts
It all depends too if the teacher is a first time teacher :blush:
The first time I was in a classroom (teacher) my expectation was very high. So high that the first two exams I gave, only 6 students manage to get 65%. The rest were, oh well :crazy:
Lets just say I had to make some major changes in my tests. Now I'm going back to school once again (graduate level) I hope that I don't get an a$$ of a professor :flame:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Im in school right and can totally relate to you. A lot of the departments at LSU are like that in my opinion. Also, if the teacher isnt just rediculously hard then they are from another country and can barely speak English. My thermodynamics teacher was from Bulgaria (however you spell it) and it was her first time in America. I never went to class and taught myself, the ones that went to class mostly failed.

·
eGunny
13,417 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
And heres the sh*ttest part, a good friend of mine is enrolled in the EXACT same course but with a different teacher...her teacher's test...ALL MULTIPLE CHOICE! Seriously, WTF? Do you have any idea how tremendously unfair that is...get one teacher, course is a walk in the park, get the other teacher, you're screwed.

[/ QUOTE ] Lets have a group hug for Enp...... :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
ENP83 said:
The class started out with about 28-30 people in it, the day of the final...8 people were still in the class. That should tell you A LOT. Of the 8 left, several of 'em are girls who get straight As (you know, disappointed with a B, going into deep depression over one C, and if they got a D they'd probably commit suicide) and they stuggled to maintain a C in this class.

[/ QUOTE ]

Trust me your not alone on this on :grin:. I had an advanced statistics class like that. I mean statisics is pretty easy with vairous distributions, standard deviations, etc no big deal right? Wrong. I should have taken the hint with the bitch kept talking about how we could all become actuaries. She was out to kill us and did quite the job,from ~30 people to ~6 (many of the A students quit since they didnt want to drop their GPA). When they started leaving I got scared. I think I ended up with a C even after getting like 12(out of 50) on an exam(which was the 2nd highest score). I'm not a math dummy either I breezed though 3 years of calculus, diff-eq, mathematical modeling(really cool class), and a ton of computer math classes(I have a BS degree in Comp Sci and mathematics). One thing that was cool was that of the 6 people left we were pretty close and would help each other with the material because the class was so damn hard.

See, now you have your own story to tell /wwwthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Registered
6,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah but still, you're talking advanced statistics at what school, and I'm talking about an intro to biology lab at a community college. I dunno, theres a very small chance I'd retake this class to turn the C (or possibly a D with his bullsh*t final) into an A. It's not my mission for the next 2 semesters (how long I probably hvae left at this school) to spread the word about this assho1e. I almost want to make some flyers with this guys face and name on it, put 'em up all over campus.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Hmm, I had the same thing happen in two separate math classes, (Calc II and advanced multivariate at a 4 year school), and once for a chemistry course in a community college.
One section had the normal teacher and another the psycho from hell. One section has 1/3 the class getting an A and one student fails; the other section only has a single student get an A, with 1/3 failing.
I've had plenty of unfair tests that focused on trivial minutia instead of knowledge of the important aspects of the subject.
Luckily for the chemistry class I could see the writing on the wall early enough.
I was able to convince my advisor of the detrimental affects this chemistry class would have and was able to bail out to another section. Word got back to the chem Prof and he bitched me out, saying I had the brains to learn but just didn't want to try hard enough, because I wanted to have a job and be a student at the same time. He said there were people in his his class that didn't have a prayer of passing but though they were better than me because they were going to try. I diplomatically agreed with him after he signed my drop form and never had reason to speak to that douchebag again. I could have learned a great deal from his class, but I really hate chemistry, and went to electronics design instead. The d-bag couldn't even conceive of anyone not wanting to learn the most they could about chemistry in as painful and grueling process as he could make it.

In this community college Chemistry class, one had to perform logical proofs of any formula used. Say the book had a question on boyle's law, calculate this given this info, etc. Normally a plug and chug 45 second problem. This clown would make you look up and derive a proof of the law before you could plug in the numbers. Made homework incredibly long in the two or three weeks I had the class. I once got a question markd wrong because I didn't "prove" that one milliliter of water equals one cubic centimeter of water at 4 degrees celcius. Ever have an essay exam in chemistry?

I don't understand why some profs think it's a great thing to have the class average be about 38 out of 100 and then scale up, even the people who get good grades still have their confidence shattered by the experience.

Welcome to higher education, uneven, unfair and unchanging. :laugh:

·
Registered
6,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah this guy was telling us about one of his friends who teachers some science stuff over at KU (30 minutes away in Lawrence)....whenever a student is struggling he tells them to pick a time/date to meet during his office hours....if the student doesn't show up then the next time he sees him/her he gives him/her a drop slip from his class and doesn't let them back in.

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
UCSD loves to completely destroy any self confidence oyu have, Tests where 30% is diong good. THe average on one of my midterms was 12, yes thats out of 100. 12/100. you walk out of the test, and feel like the most miserable form of life on earth.

you get used to it,

·
Registered
832 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
UCSD loves to completely destroy any self confidence oyu have, Tests where 30% is diong good. THe average on one of my midterms was 12, yes thats out of 100. 12/100. you walk out of the test, and feel like the most miserable form of life on earth.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but is it really constructive to do that? Do the students learn more when the class average is really low? I know it's done all the time...but why?
Worst exam I ever had was an open book math midterm, five questions, started at 7 pm, time limit that ended when the building closed at midnight. Class average 32 (damn grad students screwing up the average). I made it into high double digits and was depressed. And it was out of a possible 125 points. 40% of the grade for the course. Sure it was scaled, but I still felt like crap.

·
Registered
9,753 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
...but years later when your in a social situation with a very hot female doctor and she starts talking shop and you somewhat understand. Instant panty dropper.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have never before heard an argument for higher education that is as compelling as this. I'll remember this when I talk to my son about the importance of education. :wink:

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
I think the purpose may be to breed distrust inyourself, that way on a job, you check your answers many times, collaberate with collegues, and make sure its right, because if its wrong, people die.

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
The first calculas class I took here, the first midterm the class average was around 50%, and the teacher was not happy, someone (me) got 100%, obviously the test wasn't hard enough, Next midterm the avearge dropped to about 40, and I got an 87%. She was like"alrigh, noone got it all right, so it was just hard enough....needless to say, I didn't make any friends in that class. :lol:

·
Registered
832 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
wingswheels said:
I think the purpose may be to breed distrust inyourself, that way on a job, you check your answers many times, collaberate with collegues, and make sure its right, because if its wrong, people die.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's why you have prototypes.
Distrust at a basic level may make you cautious at the expense of creativity.
Every see a list of the "classic" signs of depression? This won't work not matter how hard you try, etc, etc.

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
i have never seen a list of classic signs of depression actually.

Im too lazy to look them up as well(I hope thats not a sign)

yes, thats why you make prototypes, but there are somethings that protoypes dont exactly work for. small scale and large scale can present problems, and the protype may not take into account some phenomenon(I know I cant spell..GET OVER IT :bird: :tongue:) that you may not even know about--Tacoma Narrows. Its also hard to build a prototype for something as large as the emprie state building(I know its small compared to other buildings now)..Or the Saturn V rocket, the only way to test it is to build it full size, and light one, and see what happens.

or for a recent example, the engineers behind that spacecraft that went straight into mars at 20gazilion mph, because they didn't change units. Mistakes of those sorts cost money, lots of it, and are simply unacceptable.

does it hinder creativity? I dont knowI still think you can think creativly , just when it comes time to put theory to practice, get it to work(granted it wont' always), but every aparent failure is nothing but a challenge to others.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts