Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
4,534 Posts
Re: Satallite pictures of tsunami !

"The view from space shows the waves just before the tsunami hit."

"As the tsunami is about to strike, this satellite view shows just how far the ocean receded."

"The first wave of the tsunami rushes onto the shore."

·
Registered
1,314 Posts

[ QUOTE ]
novos said:
holy jesus.

that gives you a better idea of the force the water can generate.

holy hell... amazing that a lot of the land hit got its ass kicked so severely because they were a mere 3 ft above sea level... :tongue:

[/ QUOTE ]

How about the info that the quake was so violent the rotation of the earth was effected. Only by an estimate of 3ms but still thats some serious power.

·
More bikes than brains
5,319 Posts

I don't really think too many people knew what was going on. I also don't think that when you are out of that particular frame of mind, anyone but a oceanologist or geologist would know whats about to happen.

·
Registered
7,499 Posts

[ QUOTE ]
Fiddy1 said:
Whats gets me, Is why people stand around watching it come at them till the last possible second. Then try to run away from it. :Wow1:

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem is that people fail to realise the sheer power that water can produce and it is virtually unstoppable as evidenced by the videos. Those who did not run were either in shock and or did not realise what was happening or could happen since they are more than likely sheltered from the effects of natural disasters.

For example most people in the Midwest or East Coast have rarely felt an Earthquake even though those area's aren't immune to them, many people wouldn't know what to do during one. Having lived in Southern California for 16 years I know now what to do having lived thru many mostly small ones and a few large ones I don't look forward to any in the near future.

Sadly enough for the Indonesians that area was not prepared like say the Hawaiian Islands are for tsunami's with early warning beacons, not that it would have helped much in this scenario but the sound of the horns may have prepared those further inland to flee sooner. :frown: :bawling:

It's almost unbearable to open any news site now for everytime I do the numbers keep growing and growing I fear they may never have an exact accounting of the death toll :bawling: /wwwthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

·
Registered
2,264 Posts

[ QUOTE ]
JsemCesku said:
I don't really think too many people knew what was going on. I also don't think that when you are out of that particular frame of mind, anyone but a oceanologist or geologist would know whats about to happen.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can say that coming from a third world country I knew very well that if you see the ocean receade you start to run the other way as fast as you can and if you see the wave coming to you climb on something ASAP. I learned this practically from word-of-mouth by people that lived close to the ocean.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts