Sportbike Racing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No, not some old-timers sweater biscuts, I'm talking suspension. I've seen a hundred different ideas in magazines about measuring/setting sag, so lets hear some of your opinions on the matter. (F4iRacer, indianaroadracer, you two come to mind...hehehe) I've figured out the sharkskinz (finally), got all the gear, so before I start with the engine mods, I want the suspension right. Or at least a good start on it. Race Tech will be getting a call soon, but the basics first. I'm open to suggetions.

If I put what I wanted in this signature, I would piss too many people off.

·
Registered
883 Posts
WaveRave has it exactly right. Follow those instructions. Since personal preference, puropse, spcific roads, and riding style all play a factor, you can fine tune it through personal experience after getting used to those base settings. If you start taking notes and trying to fine tune it, you can be more exact by taking stiction into account.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ask and ye shall receive! Thanks a milion, that's exactly what I was looking for. I had a good idea of how to actually do the measuring, I was looking for (and you provided) some numbers to reference. I *know* I'm going to have to revalve, I'm pushing the limits (as F4i racer so eloquently put it...lol) of stock 600 suspension with my size. This brings the mandatory follow-on question; does Race-Tech sound like a good place to start looking for the goods I need? Sending the lot to Traxxion or buying Ohlins would be ideal, but not on Staff Sgt pay! The setup drama begins... Thanks again guys!!!

Edit - Waverace, cool website man! The bike looks great, but it earns you another question. Your pipe - does the midpipe get in the way of your feet at all? I have a Micron highmount and love the look and sound - but the midpipe gets in my way. Looking for a replacement. Oh, and nice touch on the garage door opener! (Check out his website folks - and see what happens when an engineer gets hold of a sportbike...lol)

·
Registered
660 Posts
Yeah my only complaint about my 2bros high mount is how my heels touch the s-bend. I just bought a small heat shield to take care of that. I plan on getting a full Graves system eventually anyway.
Racetech would be a great place to start upgrading your forks and shock if needed. Saves a great deal of money over buying new ones.

Rocket Scientist on <font color=blue>R6</font color=blue>
http://u2.netgate.net/~waverave

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Indiana - I actually just checked that out!! Very nice section on their website, seems like it may be the way I go. I want something reputable, but not outrageously expensive. I know RaceTech is good, sent them my RM250 forks back in the moto-x days, and was VERY pleased.

WAVE - That's what I was afraid of. My Micron is the same way, and I think aftermarket rearsets might make it even worse. I don't have any room to spare rearward. I had a look at the M4 high mount and it looks like the way to go. We'll see. Thanks for the advice on the suspension as well!

·
Registered
883 Posts
Just a word about the bias of RaceTech's spring rate calculator vs Lindemann's opinions: Their website sugested .80 springs or .85 for very agressive street riding, Lindemann Engineering gave me .90 weight springs. I'm happy that I have the .90. You're mileage may vary.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Very interesting. And how exactly would one get this info from Lindemann Engineering?

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Damn! Information on demand....me likes.

Thanks....A-gain.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts