1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
eCancelChristmas
13,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
S1\'s racing technology review of daytona

TOP THIS...!!!

1/8

the multispoke BBS wheel many believed i dreamt up... come on... never doubt my veracity. LOL the first one to ever wash up on the shores of the U.S. it came off of one sorenson's works rs250 from overseas that used to belong to jeremy mcwilliams. the tag has sorenson's last name and a barcode on it, it's what we use to track the wheels and tires as the come through the dunlop garage.

you want the truth...?!?! you can't handle the truth...!!! LOL

·
eCancelChristmas
13,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: S1\'s technology review of daytona

2/8

a shot of the "castle-ation" integrated into the rear brake rotor used to detect wheel speed. i believe this rear rim is off hacking or yates's superbike....? not sure... this shot happens to be just as their crew chief dropped 'em off and they're just sittin' on the rack before they got tagged.

·
eCancelChristmas
13,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

3/8

a side shot of the assembly. this was also on the new lightweight forged marchesini's on mladins bike. i had a shot, but i came out blurry. those babies were the lightest in the paddock. eric had 'em too, but in black for his 7r. that spacer allows them just have one size rim and simply change the width of that piece to match the bike. it's likely what they were referring to in the amasoup article awhile back...

http://www.amasuperbike.com/2002-Feb/t020216.htm

·
eCancelChristmas
13,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

4/8

the trick lightweight floating rear rotor on a rear wheel from nicky's rc51.

·
eCancelChristmas
13,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: S1\'s racing technology review of daytona

5/8

a touch probe "coordinate 3D measuring" system (my arena of engineering) being used to measure chassis at the traxxion dynamics truck. it's similiar (but not) to the modified "surveyors transit" system being used by computrack to measure alignment. i bumped into max mcallister outside one of the bathrooms looking at a poster they had up and he directed me over to the truck.

here's a link to the companion website for it...

http://www.axxionarm.com

·
eCancelChristmas
13,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

6/8

just a chameleon painted marvic wheel

·
eCancelChristmas
13,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

7/8

a shot of "my new 56ss"... the new bridgestone 012ss. just because i worked for dunlop, does not necessarily follow that i pledge "allegiance" to them. LOL

my thinking is... you don't get to be the top tire in Formula 1 unless you know what the hell you're doing...!!! :)

·
Registered
1,000 Posts

The new Bridgestones are really nice. I rode a "soft" set of 001 DOT's this weekend and they worked quite well. Loads of grip and they let go very predictably. Only downside is that the front was down to the wear bar on the side by the end of the day.

·
eCancelChristmas
13,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

8/8

and last, but not least. something really cool i saw... not just a Ti shock spring, but a "rainbow colored" Ti shock spring...!!! LOL side note, i inquired about the production of Ti FORK springs and all's i got was a comment that "they're currently in the R&D stage".

i say, "get on with it already...!!! quit ya [email protected]!$%tin'..." a guy like me would've had 'em on the market already. LOL

when they make the fork springs in Ti, i almost wish i could have PLEXI-GLASS fork tubes and have "clear" fork oil so i can color my fork springs like this and show 'em off too...!!! LOL

although, now that my "genius" say's it... that does sound like the makings of a future display at one of the motorcycle shows or dealer expo's dont't it...??? DAMN, that's a good idea... :) remember, you heard it here first people...

·
eCancelChristmas
13,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

ooops it's actually 9/9.

also interesting to note... any tires for daytona with rubber stems got replaced with steel. we also were inflating them with nitrogen for it's "inert" property of greater dimensional stability when heated. you can see it labeled on the tanks in the back. these two guys are rick on the right, and alex on the left. cool dudes...

·
Premium Member
7,595 Posts

That's interesting Shamar, the military has been filling aircraft tires with Nitrogen for more than 30 years (probably more than 40). It doesn't seep like Helium does

Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow...
...that's what makes my thumper go

·
Registered
1,485 Posts

Great pictures! Thanks for the inside action, I LOVE this stuff...

What? No! We can't stop here! This is bat country!

·
eCancelChristmas
13,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

yeah, i don't think they do it at any other ama nationals... just daytona. last year, i had some tires mounted at vir by dunlop, but i see that i still have my oem rubber stems...? the hi-banks of daytona are "murderous" as kurtis roberts found out.

yeah i've considered helium, 'till i realised that the size of an atom of helium relative to air (oxygen/nitrogen) is small enough to literally PERMEATE the carcass of the tire and perhaps even the rim itself...?

some type of coating or "impermeable membrane" would have to be created to line the inside of the tire and rim. and even then, i don't think it's as dimensionally stable when heated. for it is used in some of those advanced "around the world" balloons like that "wacky" guy with the brietling orbiter.

·
eCancelChristmas
13,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

off topic i know, but for reference... the brietling gondola...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts