376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1997 TL1000S
I have compression = 165 in both cylinders
I have spark in both cylinders
I have vacume in both cylinders
I have fuel delivery in both cylinders
I have replaced the ecm with another TLS(97) no fire
I have checked timing on both cylinders dead on (three people agree on that)
I have all the things I need for combustion (fuel, air, compression, and spark) but no fire.
I have made some mods since last it ran....
1 cleaned up ports
2 oversized exhaust valves
3 Tre Mod
I made sure all cams are in the right spot
All valves are in spec.
I can get the front to spit flame out the intake if I open the throttle alittle bit. I figured it was timing but it's dead on.
If anyone has a clue for me please help!!!
Thanks,
Jim

·
ehasbeen
5,207 Posts
Dumb question.... I'm guessing you had to unbolt the cam sprocket from the cams to remove the head. The cam sprocket marks may be dead on with the sprocket rotatated 180 degrees on the cam. (Something to consider if you removed the sprockets)
I see you replaced two valves. Could there have been a problem to require replacement. If there was could you have sheared the kotter key on the crank. If so the crank timing will be off compared to the marks.

Just a couple of thoughts, let us know.
Todd

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All marks line up on the cams and the cam gear drive. Also the crank timing lines up with the cam marks and the gear drive. Yeah I guess you could say somthing was wrong with the old valves. It was the exhaust side of the motor didn't flow so well. So for an increase in hp I put in oversized ex. valves.
I'm really confused on your 180 degree of the cam sprockets. The sprockets directly on the cams are pressed on the only thing that was remove was the Cam gear drive that the cam chain hooks to.
Thanks,
Jim

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

I have replaced the ecm with another TLS(97) no fire

<hr></blockquote>

I suggest you check the wiring to ecm to ensure it's not broken somewhere and has good connection to include the actual pins where it plugs into the wiring harness.

I can't see it getting any spark if the ecm isn't responding but I could be wrong...

Good luck man! /images/icons/cool.gif

·
Registered
4,641 Posts
If it's spitting flames out the intake, but the timing is correct, it sounds like a problem with the intake valve. Is it maybe sticking so it doesn't close properly at engine running speeds (still moves fast enough to give a good reading on the compression test)? Is the valve spring broken?

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Connections are ok. Everything looks fine with the valve spring. Want to make sure it's necessary to take the head back off.(don't want to have to buy new gasket) Could it be the timing of the spark thats off???

·
Registered
274 Posts
perhaps you switched the cams...you got the intake cam in the place where the output cam goes..don't laugh it could happen if your not careful...

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have to laugh at everything at this point. There is no way I could screw up the cams.
A. I have the service manual.
B. The cams are different because of centrfical decompressers and the rear cylinder has the cam position sensor.
But don't think I did not consider that!!!!
Thanks though!!!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Um,

Not that I think you're this inattentive or anything... but here's another dumb suggestion:

do you have the spark-plug leads crossed up with each other?

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Did I mention my battery sucks and I'm using a booster to help with the cranking. I'm picking up a new battery tomorrow hoping for some freak chance that it is the problem!! Don't think so though since the rear cylinder runs!!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Sounds stupid, but my bike wouldnt start one time,coughing,spitting and what not and I replaced the plugs and it fired instantly.I thought they looked good to the eye but they were toast.Maybe you have a dead plug.Oh ya you may still see a spark,it just wont be strong enough.

·
Registered
6,629 Posts
I'd go with the cam being 180 degrees off... Pull the valve cover off and start again... You may want to get a degree wheel and really checks the specs....

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
"Hi My Name Is Jim And I Am A Moron!!"
When I timed the cams I did the front cylinder first. Lined the F|T mark up and then the cams. Then WITHOUT turning the crank 360 to F|T again. I put in the rear cylinder cams!! DUH!!!! I was 360 out on the timing of the rear cylinder!!! See what happens when nice weather comes along and you hurry!!!
Thanks for all your help!!!
Jim

·
Registered
198 Posts
<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

I was going to say 360=0

<hr></blockquote>

Yeah, ordinarily that is true... but the cams spin at 1/2 the speed of the crank... therefore, 360 on the crank is 180 on the cams.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts