Sportbike Racing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 12 came with Dunlop D208s and they handle the bikes speed, power and weight well. However, the rear is showing signs of wear after only 750 miles and whilst it still has plenty left in it, the fact that this first 750 miles have been break-in miles mean the reality in future of 1000 miles a rear tyre looms large.

My riding style is old-fashioned and pre-Doohan. I don't brake late, corner slow and fire out on full gas like the boys do now, prefering to turn in early and corner fast taking what used to be known as the racing line before the racers changed. I don't spin up the back (at least not deliberately) but feed the gas back on progressively as the bike starts to stand back up as we exit.

Anyway, all this is just to explain that, whilst enough grip to corner fast is required, the rear doesn't need to cope with large amounts of throttle whilst lying down. So I was wondering whether I should put a harder compound on the back to get the miles and to prevent it squaring off if ever I do any long trips.

What do you think?

Has anyone done this and if so which combinations of tyres did you use (I'd want to keep a sticky front as the two worst accidents I've had have been washing out the front in a corner).

I was thinking about a Bridgestone BT010 on the front and an 020 on the back but I think the biggest 020 is a 190 for the rear.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
While I haven't done that combo myself, I've heard others speak well of it. As an aside, I dropped one size from 190 to 180 on my 'nine, and liked the results. I think some of the ZX12 guys on this forum have recently replaced their rears with 190 rubber - but I haven't seen a road report yet.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
I am a very passive rider, not agressive at all and I would not go to a harder rear compound, if only for the reason that on too many occasions, I've had power oversteer when I rolled on the gas while leaned over and got wheelspin. And thats with the OE tyre. A harder compound would only exagerate that.

Naturally, you can try an 020 in the back and see how you like it, but I think as your engine breaks is and frees up, you're going to find that traction is at a premium and you're not going want to give ANY of it up. Most ZX-12R riders are resolved to replacing tyres every 1500-2000 miles. Its hard on its tyre because it needs that grip. I don't think you want to give it away.

I am a VERY conservative rider. I never ride in a manner such that my brakes even begin to be taxed. I never do wheelies (except for when the wheel comes up when I drive out of corners). Yet, my rear was squared off by 2500miles. MOst 12 riders are really aggressive, and I had simply not expected that my genteel style would make me need new rubber almost as soon as them (2000). So I denied that my tyre was getting squared and kept riding it, its handling getting really bad as the miles went by. Now at 3700, I am staring at cords sticking out.

Yes, stupid, I know. So I have ordered a set of 010s, 190 for the rear, and intend on replacing the rear every 1700miles or so. I've decided its best to pay the price and give the bike what it needs so I can get what I want.

__
Life is precious. Treasure it.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

Rubber for a 12

<hr></blockquote>

I use "Lifestyles"

·
Registered
527 Posts
The shop where I picked up my tires recommended the Bridgestone 010/020 combo for me. The owner said he liked riding that combination and plans on using it again. He said that he would end up wearing the front and rear at about the same rate rather than two rears for each front.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Get the Michelin Pilot Sport HPX. It last quite goog and the grip is also good. And You can get it in 200/50. I've had one of them in my bike last summer trip and it has 9000km (=5600miles) on it and has a lot of km to take.The Dunlop lasted only 5000 km(3100miles) and it was already showing metal!!! And that was with 3600km break in!?! The 010 lasted a bit longer but the Michelins are ultimate for the long run.

Tony

·
Registered
938 Posts
I just replaced my stock d207's with Metzler M1 sportec after 7000 miles on them. I didn't find the same probable a lot of other people did with the 12 eating tires. Maybe it's my riding style. The sportecs are great, much grippier and more confidence inspiring then the D207. I suspect they should wear quicker but only time will tell. In stead of giving up grip by switching to a harder compound tire why not save a few $$ and change them yourself. This way you can replace the tires anytime you need to, save some $$$, and still keep the best grip you can. I wouldn't give up any grip on the 12, you just never know what could happen if your missing just a little in the wrong cercumstances, imo. OH YA, I went to a 190 rear too.

Riding always makes me -->/images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
938 Posts
230 miles front, 110 miles on the back. At about 60~70 miles on the back tire I hit one of my favorite "S" roads and they griped great. No sliding real confidence inspiring. I haven't really pushed it to feel any difference between the tire sizes. But I'll let you know in a week if the weather holds up.

Riding always makes me -->/images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
I would highly suggest the 010's, they aren't as soft as any Dunlop I've sampled in the center, so they last longer than any other performance tire I've used, D207's, Pilot's.

But I would recommend getting rid of the 200 and at least trying a 190mm rear 010. Or even the 180.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the advice guys.

I could go for a Sportec M1 on the back and a Rennsport on the front - what a combination that should be.

Or a Michelin Pilot Sport on the back and a Michelin Pilot Race (or race soft) on the front.

Food for thought. I'm not finding the 200 section a hinderance to cornering (as theoretically it should be) but a 190 appeals because there is so much choice and they are cheaper.

Any other advice?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hey Doc,

My 12 came with 207's and I had wear similar to your original post. The 12 is a tire eating machine, no if's, and's or but's!

I ride like you. I ride The Pace - relatively constant speed going in, coming out and on the connecting straights. I once got ~500 mi. out of a 207 on my local, chipseal twisty road. No burnouts, powering out of turns or anything. After that I decided not to buy 207's anymore.

Pilot Sports: I really like these tires on the 12. They are very sticky, provide great feedback, and deliver ~4K mi of wear. Turn-in is smoother than the 207 and as an added bonus they don't melt away to nothing when used beyond their service life. People say they are slow to warm up, but I never had any problems. My only complaint is the high price.

Bridgestone 010's: They are not as good as the Pilot's, but a good tire. Turn-in is close to the Michelin. Feedback and performance are very good, but do not feel as nice. You can't beat the price! The mileage was not quite as good as the Michelin's, but close. My biggest complaint was that I could feel the transition from harder compound center to softer compound sides during spirited riding. It doesn't feel unsafe, it just doesn't inspire confidence.

Where do I normally spend my money?

Well, when going through a set of rubber every 3-4K, I gotta let my wallet do the talking. So I buy the 010's. But if the cost delta were closer, I would go for the Pilot Sports every time.

BTW - my (our) riding style couple with the 12's forward weight bias has me wearing through tires on a nearly one-to-one basis.

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Just for comparison...

I went through 2 sets of Pilot's on my VFR... I got 3000 miles on one rear and 2800miles on the other.

Last year I got 4500 miles on my R1... I not only ride 10x's more aggressive on the R1, but we know it eats tires probably close to a 12.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Minger,

thanks for the info. I've been a bit hestitant with Michelins due to their Hi-Sports reputation (we used to call them Michelin high-siders) because the rear would let go without much warning which is OK if you're Gary McCoy or Nori Haga and you enjoy having your back end overtake you.

I do give the bike plenty of gas between the corners (I'm not giving the 12 full chat yet because it's still running-in) and plenty of brakes leading in to the next one so I needs a tyre that will handle that, but what it doesn't need to handle is late turn-in on the brakes, short cornering and rear-wheel steering back out (which the 12 is plenty capable of but neither me nor my insurers have the nerve for).

The other dimension is that a friend has bought a ZZR1200 and we are bound to go on long trips at some point so some resilience to squaring off would be good.

Incidently 010s are as expensive as any tyre in their class in this country

G

·
that was a rhetorical question. actually, putting a smaller tire on the rear will make the bike steer lighter in the rear at the sacrifice of corner speed and off-corner acceleration. so i suppose it's a good idea to go small if you just want to drag your knee or something. but if you want maximum G's there's only one thing you can do- GO BIG. any questions? yes-you in front... go ahead------

1 - 19 of 19 Posts