Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
eCancelChristmas
13,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
note how skinny (125-ish) it is through the middle. the freakin' exhaust is as wide (wider?) than the bike...!!! :)

·
eCancelChristmas
13,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
more info. copy/paste from sv...

______________________________________________________________________________________

MotoGP Calling The Ducati Boys

By: Tony Carter

Cambridgeshire, England, March 29

The Ducati MotoGP bike is due to make its debut in the new MotoGP class in July but the trifactor of Troy Bayliss, Ben Bostrom and Ruben Xaus are all going to be given the chance to try out for a full-time ride on the all-new machine. Only one rider will be chosen to ride the machine alongside a more experienced GP campaigner who already knows the circuits in the blue riband class.

SPEEDTV.com has been told that the factory is in talks with Italian Honda star Loris Capirossi. What’s the betting that the USA’s pin-up superstar Ben Bostrom gets to play on the 210bhp+ machine as well?

Remember where you read it first

·
Registered
863 Posts
Man Oh Man! That is a Sweet ride! But, what else could you expect from Ducati.

Bayliss has earned the ride but pretty-boy Bostrom will probably get it /images/icons/frown.gif

Later

·
Premium Member
38,149 Posts
I don't think Bostrom will get it. Look who they used for the below picture, my money is on him for getting the ride but I'm sure it will come down to whoever meshs best with the machine.

·
Registered
6,839 Posts
Anyone want super high res versions? I'll post some 1024.768 versions in the news area of eSportbike.

kman

<font color=red>Live it</font color=red> <font color=blue>></font color=blue> <font color=red>Ride it</font color=red> <font color=blue>></font color=blue> <font color=red>Race it</font color=red>

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
High-res is good...more stuff to add to my desktop wallpaper archives /images/icons/smile.gif

-nominal_squid-
SMUSA #11

·
Registered
6,839 Posts
FIRST PICTURES OF THE NEW DUCATI FOR THE MOTOGP CHAMPIONSHIP

The bike will be presented to the world’s press during the Italian GP at Mugello on May 30.
The development of the Ducati prototype bike for the new MotoGP championship is continuing on schedule.

Wind-tunnel testing has been taking place over the past few months and an aerodynamic configuration offering extremely high performance levels has already been obtained, despite the shape undergoing constant development. The final version will only be defined after track tests and the intense wind-tunnel testing programme have been completed.

“Thanks to the freedom our engineers were given in the design of a new bike and a new engine at the same time, we were able to apply the concept of integration to the full”, declared Claudio Domenicali, Ducati Corse Managing Director, who is in charge of the MotoGP project. “In particular the engine has been designed in line with the demands of the bike, and everything in function of the position of the rider. The result is a very compact bike, one that has been created around the rider giving him maximum freedom of movement through corners as well as allowing him to take up an extremely aerodynamic straight-line position with minimum physical effort”.

“Extensive 3D CAD design has allowed us to analyse the layout and perfect the interaction between every component in a virtual mock-up modelled around the shape of the rider, obtaining unprecedented integration between all components”.

“No aspect has been neglected in such a demanding and important project for our company. We have therefore also given particular attention to the search for an extremely low aerodynamic drag, which we view as vitally important because regulations based on fuel consumption reward the most efficient designs. The excellent wind tunnel results have also been obtained thanks to the compact nature of the Desmosedici engine, which has enabled a bike to be designed around it with the rider placed in an aerodynamically efficient position”.

The tubular steel trestle frame and the exhausts pipes under the tail fairing, together with the desmodromic system and the L-shaped layout of the engine, maintain intact some of the characteristics typical of Ducati’s sportsbike models.

“The tubular trestle frame was a natural choice”, continued Domenicali. “Our victories in the World Superbike Championship confirm that this is an excellent technical design. The MotoGP prototype however has been built around an innovative structure, which by exploiting the layout of the L-shaped Desmosedici engine to the full, uses it as a stress-bearing member and reaches the required levels of stiffness with a substantial reduction in frame weight and dimensions”.

“The decision to place the exhausts under the tail, which gives the bike a ‘family feeling’, in line with Ducati’s road-going sportsbikes, was made above all because of its aerodynamic advantage”.

“Thanks to the commitment of the team headed by Ducati Corse Technical Director Filippo Preziosi, everything is continuing according to plan, and today we are in a position to announce the date when the definitive version of the bike will be presented to the world’s press”, concluded Domenicali. “The bike launch will be Thursday 30 May, during the Italian GP at Mugello. Ducati fans will also have an exclusive opportunity to see the bike during WDW2000 (World Ducati Week, Misano Adriatico, June 14–16), the event held every two years that brings thousands of ‘Ducatisti’ from all over the world to Italy to celebrate with us their passion for our bikes”.

<font color=red>Live it</font color=red> <font color=blue>></font color=blue> <font color=red>Ride it</font color=red> <font color=blue>></font color=blue> <font color=red>Race it</font color=red>

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
my gut feeling is that they have pretty much already promised bayliss the ride, noticing his determination towards nutrition, workouts and raceday and him stating to the public that this is what he wanted. oddly enough we heard nothing about his new contract this year...

<font color=yellow>Zoom,Zoom,Zoom</font color=yellow>
<font color=yellow>MOVE OVER COMIN' THRU</font color=yellow>

·
Premium Member
38,149 Posts
Wait a sec...I just noticed the lower fairing extends back and under the swingarm...how's that supposed to work? /images/icons/crazy.gif

I hope the front looks better than the Cube.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
plastics back to the rear wheel and underseat exhaust!!
all about aerodynamics......
(i'd guess a bit of wind tunnel work??)

<font color=yellow>Zoom,Zoom,Zoom</font color=yellow>
<font color=yellow>MOVE OVER COMIN' THRU</font color=yellow>

·
Premium Member
38,149 Posts
Yeah but how can you have the fairing under the swingarm and expect any suspension travel? /images/icons/crazy.gif Even if it was "just" to the sides of the swingarm it would suck to get the plastics caught in the swingarm movements.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
How much farther are you expecting the swingarm to droop? Unless you plan on jumping the bike, the swingarm is going to travel upwards.

·
Premium Member
38,149 Posts
Thanks Punk., that's a good point. I know BSB has a venue which routinely sees the Ducs get airborne...maybe the MotoGP circuits don't have such a track.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
No worries. Even if the bike was to get airborne the suspension would be limited to as much droop as you see in the photo.

I would hope that with a 30 million dollar GP budget they would think of things like this. /images/icons/crazy.gif

·
Registered
431 Posts
The swing arm is fully extended. It will be fine once the suspension settles under the bikes weight. My Ducati corse AMA legal belly pan touches my tire when my fat ass is not on the bike.

·
Registered
852 Posts
The swing arm isn't fully extended. The stand is pushing on the swingarm and is compressing the rear shock, albeit only a little bit.

bitTRL1000
Midwest CCS #918

·
Registered
234 Posts
I have never seen that type of fork on any bike. Not even a GP. Notice the cylinder behind the fork leg between the fork and the brake? Must be a new Ohlins special. Maybe I am wrong. Who else has seen this?

·
Registered
852 Posts
That is a cylinder of pressurized gas. I forget what kind (I think Nitrogen). I know that the factory Ducati's have been using them, and so have Eric Bostrom and Anthony Gobert in AMA. I assume they have used them in GP's as well.

bitTRL1000
Midwest CCS #918

1 - 20 of 26 Posts