Sportbike Racing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I stated in a previous post, I just got my bike back from Race Worx. I had an Akropovic exhaust, a Factory jetkit, an ignition timing advancer, and I went down 1 tooth in the front sprocket.

Exhaust: I’m not sure I like the looks of it as much as stock, but it sounds AWESOME! I liked the sound of the stock exhaust, but the Akro has a very mean sounding growl.

Performance: WOW!!! I am not sure if it’s the performance mods, or the sprocket but it flat out hauls ass!! The front wheel lifts off the ground at 6000 RPM now in first and around 8500 RPM in second. Second gear power wheelies are way to easy now. Just give it about 1/3 throttle up to about 7500 and then open the throttle and the front end just starts to lift. Also, the on-off throttle is very very crisp now. The only complaint is that I lost all my low-end power. There is nothing below 4000 RPM, but once it hits 5000 RPM you better hold on. I never open it up below 5000 RPM anyway, so this really doesn’t bother me. Any ideas what could be the cause of the loss of low-end power?

Looks: I put on an undertail with built in turn signals. I had to relocate my license plate to under my pipe, but my new exhaust is carbon fiber and I don’t want to attach the license plate to it so right now I am running around with no license plate. Gotta figure out where to put it!

I will hopefully post some dyno numbers within the next month. I will also get some pics taken of the bike. I have a friend with a digital camera, but I haven’t taken the time to clean it up and take it over there.

Also, Race Worx had a Hayabusa in the shop that was bored out to over 1500 cc’s with a bunch of other mods. They said it dyno’ed at 245 hp, but they expected to get 265 so they were still looking for 20 hp. They also had a beautiful green 2000 12r that was bored out to something like 1360 cc’s. The owner was test riding it when I was there. It dyno’ed at around 215 hp. You should have seen the look on that guy’s face when he pulled back into the parking lot. Made me want to buy a 12r.

·
Registered
539 Posts
get some pics up, congrats on the new mods!!

licence plate who needs it!!/images/icons/laugh.gif

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
NICCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!

I Burn Dust and You Can Eat my rubber!!!!

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
so did you ask to ride his 12 to see what he would say?/images/icons/laugh.gif

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I should have asked! All he could have said was no. There is no way I could have handled 215 hp though. My bike is probably only putting out 135 and I can't even handle that.

He told me "nice bike" and I asked him if he wanted to trade. He just smiled.

Besides the exhaust, his bike looked completely stock. I feel sorry for anybody that decides to mess with him in a straight away.

·
Registered
283 Posts
sorry to disappoint you mate - but t oget your bike to out out 135 hp at the rear wheel it'd have to have a bore kit on her, or some serious engine work done....

it prolly pumps out 120hp at the rear wheel - which is still really good!!!

Things To See, People To DO....

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So your saying dynos aren't true rwhp? Because the dyno close to my home has stock 9r's dyno'ing at 125 to 128.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Joe, you're right about the stock power figures for the 9. I know several first hand and they all have dyno'd between 123 & 128. As a side note, there can be a big difference between dyno's.

Also, it is fairly reasonable that you could have gained and extra ~10 ponies from your mods. Assuming you installed a full system and not just a slip-on.

The reason for the loss in low end is that the new exhaust flows more freely than the stocker. While the low end suffers from the decrease in back pressure, the top end screams.

Keep the reports coming and pics and dyno charts are always cool too.

·
Registered
283 Posts
heheh...o.k. lads....calm down, thought it was a 7R you had dynoed..my bad!!!!

sorry!!!

Things To See, People To DO....

·
Registered
882 Posts
I got my 9R to dyno at 123 with a jet kit and a Muzzy slip-on. The chart is on my home page, follow the link in my sig. So your results are indeed reasonable!

Great stuff, I would love to have an Akrapovic exhaust, I hear they sound great.

Einstein says high speed slows time, so go fast, stay young!
http://home.satx.rr.com/jroberts

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

I know several first hand and they all have dyno'd between 123 & 128.

<hr></blockquote>

Mine dynoed at 123 (Dynojet) before the carb work. I haven't dynoed it since, but the tuners eddy-current dyno reported +5 hp. (128 Dynojet.) This is with the stock pipe.

·
Registered
572 Posts
My bike is the same exact set up as yours and it dynoed at 137 rwhp,as far as low end with the akro pipe you should not have lost any low end,if you had a muzzy race pipe I would expect you to lose some low end .Because it is a top end pipe they make a ton of top end. I had a muzzy on mine before the akro made good peak #s but low end was lacking,akro is perfect. OK muzzy fans start ripping me apart but that is my actual experience.

·
eSpellinbeechampyun
6,773 Posts
On the Muzzy pipe, if you get the 4 into 2 into 1, you'll hang on to most of your low end. But both the Muzzy 4 into 1 pipe and the Akro (which only come in 4 into 1 if I'm not mistaken) trade-off low end for more top end power.

Moding a bike is always give and take, you gain something somewhere at the expense of something somewhere else. So you really have to know exactly what you want you're bike to do, and then start modifying it from there.

Example... If you want top speed, you'll want to gear it tall and run an unrestricted 4 into 1 pipe.

... If you want a punchier engine, quicker off the line and all, you want to gear it short with a more restricted 4 into 2 into 1 pipe and an ignition advancer.

Not all mods serve the purpose you may have wanted it for. Some mods will cancel any gains made from a previous mod, they don't all compliment eachother. So research what you're doing to make sure you're not shooting yourself in the foot /images/icons/wink.gif !

[email protected] those <font color=blue>OUTLAW BIKERS</font color=blue>!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts