Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good to see you guys again! Been a long time since I've been to this board. I had an injury last year (not motorcycle related) just before Summer and haven't done a lot of riding but now I'm back in shape to ride this year.
Anyway, I have a friend that is going to buy a bike probably in a couple of weeks and He likes the RF-900. He has never ridden on the street before and He wants Me to show Him a few things and ride with him, etc. He really would like to start with something like a 600 but He has knee problems and doesn't want to be uncomfortable. He is pretty much set on a 900 size bike for comfort reasons, etc. He is very safety conscious and wants to start out by learning how to ride and not trying to ride beyond his means. Would this be a good bike to grow into? What other bikes come to mind. It doesn't have to be a Suzuki (though preferable). We would like to hear any ideas/suggestions...Thanks

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
Hmm.... good Suzuki bikes that will accomodate tall riders who are just starting out...

1) DR400
2) DR350
3) DR-anything else...

I spent about 3 hours yesterday teaching my friend to ride his new '80 KZ550 in a parking lot. I think we take for granted how much skill we really possess when we operate our bikes, but it's really highlighted when you try and teach someone new how to do it.

Some points that my friend had issues with were throttle control, clutch control, braking, and turning at speed, or at deeper lean angles.

I rode the 550 for a few laps around the block, and the thing was actually surprising quick. Quick enough that I'm concerned it may cause issues for my friend if he gets sloppy with the throttle (yes, it's that quick). I can't imagine that the RF900 would be any safer or better to learn on.

A good learner bike would be something where you can grab a handful of throttle mid-corner because you've paniced, but you won't be going headlong into a ditch because the bike snaps so hard that you can't continue the turn.

This KZ550 is borderline good-starter bike. If my friend gets sloppy with the throttle he'll know it, and it may scare him, but it's not nearly as bad as a sloppy throttle on an open-class bike, or 600cc supersport.

My vote on the RF900 as a first bike.... no.

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
I have to agree with alanheng, an RF900 is too much. A little to much twist of the throttle in first gear can easily spook a new rider right into crashing.

·
Registered
105 Posts
To ease his knees, a standard style bike is better. Have him take a look at the SV650 (not "S") or Bandit 600.
An RF900 accelerates faster than any car ever mass produced....Way too fast for a new rider.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
The SVS is actually the better bike for taller riders because the more rear-set pegs allow more room for the knees.

However, rear-sets can be installed on the SV for a bit more comfort...

Your friend should go to the dealerships an just sit on bikes with his feet on the pegs for a while.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts