Sportbike Racing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
38,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

Sugo’s setting is truly magnificent, surrounded by mountains, lined with blossoms and blessed with topography as picturesque as any circuit on earth. The beauty of the circuit, however, hides an awesome fact from the casual observer - one that leaves the majority of the field with a feeling of trepidation each time they touch down on Japanese soil.

<hr></blockquote>

http://www.worldsbk.com/MainApp/sbkpage?id=1019037822208816

·
Registered
640 Posts
Re: Round 4 - Sugo, Japan

Bring it on!!!! I can't wait. I really like Bayliss, but I'm interested just to see if anyone can beat him without something breaking on the bike. It's hard to find someone as patient as he is. I finally got a chance to watch the 1st round at Kyalami (?) last night - he just sits back and watches Bostrom and Haga fight it out all over the track and then slips by both of them late in the race. Beautiful.

If I put what I wanted in this signature, I would piss too many people off.

·
Premium Member
38,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Not going to happen this round. I just hope he is in the top 8 for both races.

·
Registered
634 Posts

you got that right it will be some balls to the wall privateer that will take the checks in sugo, both races.. JMO

·
Premium Member
38,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Here is the entry list for this weekends race.

1 1 Troy Bayliss AUS Ducati 998 F 02 Ducati Infostrada
2 2 Colin Edwards USA Honda VTR 1000 SP2 Castrol Honda
3 5 Mark Heckles GBR Honda VTR 1000 SP2 Castrol Honda Rumi
5 9 Chris Walker GBR Kawasaki ZX-7RR Kawasaki Racing Team
6 10 Gregorio Lavilla ESP Suzuki GSX-R750 Y Alstare Suzuki Corona Extra
7 11 Ruben Xaus ESP Ducati 998 F 02 Ducati Infostrada
8 12 Broc Parkes AUS Ducati 998 RS Ducati NCR Parmalat
9 14 Hitoyasu Izutsu JPN Kawasaki ZX-7RR Kawasaki Racing Team
10 19 Lucio Pedercini ITA Ducati 998 RS Team Pedercini
11 20 Marco Borciani ITA Ducati 998 RS Team Pedercini
12 28 Serafino Foti ITA Ducati 996 RS Team Pedercini
13 30 Alessandro Antonello ITA Ducati 998 RS D.F.X. Racing Ducati Pirelli
14 32 Eric Bostrom USA Kawasaki ZX-7RR Kawasaki Racing Team
15 33 Juan Borja ESP Ducati 998 RS Spaziotel Racing Team
16 36 Ivan Clementi ITA Kawasaki ZX-7RR Team Kawasaki Bertocchi
17 41 Noriyuki Haga JPN Aprilia RSV 1000 Playstation team Aprilia FGF
18 46 Mauro Sanchini ITA Kawasaki ZX-7RR Team Kawasaki Bertocchi
19 52 James Toseland GBR Ducati 998 F 01 HM Plant Ducati
20 99 Steve Martin AUS Ducati 998 RS D.F.X. Racing Ducati Pirelli
21 100 Neil Hodgson GBR Ducati 998 F 01 HM Plant Ducati
22 155 Ben Bostrom USA Ducati 998 F 02 Ducati L&M
23 42 Makato Tamada JAP Honda VTR 1000 SP2 Cabin Honda
24 43 Waturu Yoshikawa JAP Yamaha YSP Raing & Presto
25 45 Takeshi Tsujimura JAP Yamaha YSP Raing & Presto
26 47 Kenichiro Nakamura JAP Honda VTR 1000 SP2 Blue Helmet MSC
27 48 Yuichi Takeda JAP Honda VTR 1000 SP2 Sakurai Honda
28 49 Akira Yanagawa JAP Kawasaki ZX-7RR Kawasaki Racing Team

Tamada is again entered in the race...anyone think he'll pull off another double like last year? /images/icons/crazy.gif

·
Premium Member
38,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Circuit Data
Circuit length - 3737 m
Pole position - Left
Corners left - 6
Corners right - 9
Corner radius - min. 20 m | max. 250 m
Maximum Slope - 10%

·
Registered
634 Posts

On the other hand, could Haga break out and pull off a win?? just a thought, otherwise I say privateer takes a double...

·
Registered
331 Posts

I say Privateers take the double too. Specially if Tamada is on that Cabin again...

just Ride!

·
Premium Member
38,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Izutsu injured in qualifying at Sugo

Eight crashes, three stoppages and three restarts marked one of the most incident-laden qualifying sessions in the history of WSB at Sugo today – with Hitoyasu Izutsu ruling himself out of racing for up over a month.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/detail?sectionID=212131&documentID=141205

Bayliss qualified 8th, not too bad.

·
Premium Member
38,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

SUGO - FRIDAY QUALIFYING
Ducati Corse Press
Bostrom (Ducati L&M) seventh quickest in first qualifying - Bayliss and Xaus (Ducati Infostrada) eighth and eleven.

Ben Bostrom (Ducati L&M) headed the three factory Ducati Corse riders on Friday at Sugo in seventh place as first qualifying was twice disrupted by a spate of crashes and subsequent red flags. Championship leader Troy Bayliss (Ducati Infostrada) set an identical time but was one place behind in eighth, with his team-mate Ruben Xaus eleventh quickest, as last year's double-winner Tamada and Edwards (Honda) led the way.

Ben Bostrom (Ducati L&M) was aiming to improve on his time of 1'29.773 but crashed in the final three minutes of qualifying, which had been restarted after an incident involving Pedercini. "I took my warm-up lap too slow, my Q-tyre was too cold and I crashed out at the first corner, but I'm OK," said Bostrom. "I feel quite happy after today's first session because the pace of the leaders is within reach. I'm sure I can match the time of Tamada but I also know that tomorrow he will go faster. After the last three races, I finally feel like I'm back racing again and the fact that I crashed but am still smiling shows it."

Troy Bayliss (Ducati Infostrada) was delighted to be up in eighth place after recording his quickest ever time around the 3.737 km circuit in 1'29.773. "I know we can make the bike go a lot quicker tomorrow, but for the moment I'm pleased with the way things have gone today," declared Troy. "Tamada is fastest but I'm less than half-a-second behind in eighth and that's the fastest I've ever gone around Sugo. Qualifying is going to be difficult but I'm looking forward to the race on Sunday. I don't like being eighth, especially with Colin second, but I'm pretty sure he won't go much quicker tomorrow. The bike is similar to Kyalami with a good baseline set-up but we'll be making a few minor changes tomorrow to help with the comfort factor."

Ruben Xaus (Ducati Infostrada) was also pleased with his time of 1'29.938, which earned him eleventh place on the provisional starting-grid, but was sure he could improve tomorrow after a problem with his Q-tyre. "Everything is OK and my lap times are quite good," commented Xaus. "I had a problem with my qualifying tyre, which didn't have such good grip on one side and as a result I couldn't do the four left-hand corners very well, which is really important here. However I'm only 6/10ths of a second away from Tamada and I did better with my race tyre than on qualifying rubber. For the moment things are much better than last year, when I didn't even qualify for Superpole!"

·
Premium Member
38,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

If Colin is running in 2nd place as of today's qualifying, that is an impressive feat as he is running Michelin.

image not from sugo

·
Premium Member
38,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Race 1

Colin Edwards became the first non-Japanese rider to win a race at Sugo since 1995, holding off the challenge of fellow Honda rider Makoto Tamada over 25 laps of close action

<hr></blockquote>

http://www.worldsbk.com/MainApp/sbkpage?id=1019357549815540

Race 2

Local Wild Card rider Makoto Tamada eased to his third career SBK race win at Sugo, lapping at record pace even during the closing stages of the race. Second place went to the ever-pugilistic Edwards, with Hodgson third.

<hr></blockquote>

http://www.worldsbk.com/MainApp/sbkpage?id=1019371328330860

Rider Quotes

Ruben Xaus: I was doing a good lap time and I passed Troy for fifth, but then I had a problem with the gear shifter and that dropped me back a bit. I did two laps on my own but then I slid the rear onto the white paint on the left/right before the chicane and the bike went away from under me. In the second race my visor misted up completely but I think after my crash in race one, ninth place was a good result.

<hr></blockquote>

http://www.worldsbk.com/MainApp/sbkpage?id=1019388030356067

Current season standings...

http://212.239.37.68//superbike/race_manager/2002/4/sbk/7.html

·
Registered
3,801 Posts

Edwards was really giving it all he was worth those two races. I was 95% sure Tamada would win another double. In fact, he looked like he would have if Colin didn't ride so dam hard in the first race.

·
Premium Member
38,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Edwards rode great in both races. I was really pleased to see Hodgie pressing as hard as he was; he deserved a podium placing for his determination. How cool was it when he took Haga on the inside entering turn one and he threw out a little wave like "See ya!" LOL

·
Premium Member
38,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Race 2. It was so sweet. At the end of the start/finish straight Hodgie comes out of Haga's draft to take the inside line braking later than Haga then tips the bike in and off comes the left hand throwing out a little wave to Haga-san while entering turn one (ala Rossi's one fingered wave to Biaggi). I really like to see stuff like that as it adds a little more personality to the series.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts