Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got new tires and when i put the front wheel back on i put it on backward and somehow ruined the right bearing. Any advice on how to change it myself with only basic tools?

I planned to hit the drag strip for the 1st time tomorrow so any advice would be great.

I found out it was bad at 165 mph on the hwy and almost went into a tank slapper when the front wheel started wobbling. :shocked: :Wow1:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Replacing front wheel bearings.

I wasn't REALLLLY going 165. I had leather on anyways. :wink:

What up wit the bearing advice??? Come on, i really wanna make it to the track.

·
Registered
4,641 Posts
Re: Replacing front wheel bearings.

[ QUOTE ]
mikev7 said:

What up wit the bearing advice??? Come on, i really wanna make it to the track.

[/ QUOTE ]

The best advice I can give you is to keep the front wheel off the ground. :wink:

·
Registered
200 Posts
You should be able to tap the bearing out with a punch or screwdriver from the oposite side. BE CAREFULL & don't carried away with the hammer or you could ruin the wheel. Just use a large socket to instal the new brg! I would also change BOTH of them. You can get the brg from the dealer or take them to a bearing supply place & they can match it by the #s on it

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
mikev7 said:
I just got new tires and when i put the front wheel back on i put it on backward and somehow ruined the right bearing. Any advice on how to change it myself with only basic tools?

I planned to hit the drag strip for the 1st time tomorrow so any advice would be great.

I found out it was bad at 165 mph on the hwy and almost went into a tank slapper when the front wheel started wobbling. :shocked: :Wow1:

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't know those dirt bikes could go that fast... :grin:

Look for the little arrow my friend, attention to detail will take you a long way! :waytogo: Bearings? Never tackled something like that. If you need it done quickly, I would have a shop do it. Otherwise, grab the service manual for your bike and it will show you how to step by step. (At least my Zook manual does, not sure on those about those nasty Kawis!)

Peace!

·
Premium Member
38,149 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Look for the little arrow my friend, attention to detail will take you a long way!

[/ QUOTE ]

Or go one step further and use masking tape on the tire to point the direction of rotation...it pays to be anal sometimes. :grin:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would have a shop do it. Peace!

[/ QUOTE ]Yea i went to the shop and dropped another $50 on it. I just spent 315 on the tires. I would have rather done it myself but now that it's raining over my house i ain't going anyway :bawling:.

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
With all of this talk about front wheel bearings I replaced mine tonight. Here is what I did.

1)Put new bearings in freezer
2)Removed rim
3)Removed Bearing Seals with a screw driver just by pulling them out.
4)Took wheel inside and layed it on its side. Proped up a hairdryer to heat the rim around the bearing. I stuffed a rag in the bearing to prevent it getting as hot as the rim. The blowdryer was able to heat my rim hot enough that you couldnt keep your hand on it long. It took a few minutes to get it this hot.
5)Now that that side was hot I flipped over the rim. Took a large flathead screwdriver and a hammer. Put the screwdriver in the hole and put it on the small edge of the reverse side/hot bearing. Knocked/tapped it out.
6)Removed the spacer that was imbetween the bearings then repeated the steps to do the other side.
7)Now that the bearings are out I proped back up the hairdryer and heated the hole where the bearing goes. Got it as hot as the hair dryer could get it.
8)Went and got a bearing from the freezer and a large socket for a socket wrench. [(I had to go buy a socket for this) I used a 1&3/16 socket. It was just large enough to touch all of the outter edges of the bearing and still fit in the hole of the rim. If you use to small of a socket you can ruin the bearing and to large of a socket wont fit in the rim to knock the bearing all the way in.] Now with the socket. I tapped the frozen bearing in the hot rim. Being carefull to keep the socket on the outter edges of the bearing. Dont knock the bearing in sideways.
9)Now that that bearing is in, I flipped over the rim and heated it. Put in the spacer, got bearing from freezer and tapped it in.
10)Put in bearing seals. I was just able to push them in by hand.
11)Mounted rim

Glad I did this. Took my bike out for a quick ride and there was a noticable difference in how the front felt. And my front end is quieter.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'll do it myself next time. I rushed it to the shop and had the bearing changed in anticipation of the track day only to get rained out right when i was gonna leave to hit the track.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts