Sportbike Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'm fairly new to motorcycles so forgive me if I sound like an idiot.

I'm having a problem with an 89 Kawi EX500.

The bike starts fine and runs while in neutral but when I click it into gear and release the clutch the bike stalls. No the kickstand isn't down, I'm not quite that new but I'm wondering if the button? sensor? that recognizes the kickstand position may be faulty?

I've replaced the clutch switch under the clutch but that didn't seem to fix the problem?

Any help would be appreciated.

Just as an aside although it may be irrelevant to troubleshooting, the previous owner of the bike put a jumper wire between two of the wires going into the clutch switch that made the bike rideable although the neutral light never goes off.

Thanks for any help,
Brent
Kawi185

·
Registered
852 Posts
Does the bike run fine with the clutch pulled in and the bike in gear? Does it only stall when you attempt to let the clutch out?

bitTRL1000
Midwest CCS #918

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bike runs fine in neutral, or with the clutch in. Giving throttle and letting clutch out results in stall.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Are one of the brakes stuck? Can you push it back and forth easily? When you give it gas while in neutral, does it stumble as it revs? Maybe your carbeuration is so off that only giving it moderate throttle results in stalling.

bitTRL1000
Midwest CCS #918

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
I'm interested in the neutral light always being on and that the previous owner had already defeated the clutch safety switch - sounds like it's had troubles of this nature before. You can test a safety switch by using a multimeter set to check continuity (if it'll beep at you when you touch the test leads together, so much the better). If the clutch, neutral, and sidestand switches check out, then you likely have a bad wire in the loop, somewhere.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I don't understand why it might be the sidestand switch. That switch kills the engine when you put the bike into gear with the sidestand down. So if the switch is bad and it thinks the stand is down, then you shouldn't be able to put the bike in gear with the engine running. His engine doesn't quit when he puts it in gear; it quits when he lets the clutch out.

bitTRL1000
Midwest CCS #918

·
Registered
198 Posts
Well, that's what I thought first too, but just because my suzuki works that way doesn't mean the kaw does... at least that's what I was thinking. In any case, the clutch switch has been replaced according to the first post, and If it was mine, I'd jumper the sidestand switch next just as a process of elimination. It could well be the nuetral sensor... but that's the most difficult one to replace and it's already jumpered and oh heck... DOOD, give us an update on your bike?

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Heh! You just made me run out to the garage to check on my bike...I can put the bike in gear with the sidestand down and it continues to run. Release the clutch with the sidestand down, and the engine dies.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I know when I have my kickstand down on my '96 EX500, I can kick it into first without a stall, but when I let the clutch out to go, the engine dies. I'd say that something messed with your sidestand switch, too....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi All,

Thanks for the responses. As an update the side stand switch checks out.

So latested update..

1) Clutch switch replaced.... no change
2) Sidestand switch working fine... no change

Oh and for the person asking if maybe the carbs are so bad the answer there is no. The bike runs fine with clutch in or in neutral, revs just great. In fact I've been riding it around with the "jumper wire fix" from the first post and would leave it that way if I didn't have this overwhelming urge to turn off the neutral light and fix the real problem.

I'm guessing it has to be a wire somewhere in the loop but I still haven't tracked it down.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Hmmm - if the bike runs fine with the sidestand switch bypassed, but stalls when it's hooked up, I'd have to say that the switch either doesn't function, or is not depressed fully by the sidestand.

Which still doesn't really address the neutral light issue... Was the neutral switch bypassed (jumpered), or has it failed in the 'neutral' position?

I'm still thinking that a previous owner has applied his own special engineering skills to the system /images/icons/tongue.gif

·
ehasbeen
5,207 Posts
I'm a bit confused. I haven't read through all the posts lately but it seems that
1. The clutch switch is not bypassed other wise it would make no difference if the clutch is pulled in or not.
2. That the neutral light stays on because they grounded the pink wire that goes to the sensor on the left side of the motor.

How did you rule out the side stand switch. Did you actually take it out of the loop and connect the wires on the harness side??

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Checked the side stand it two ways.

Not sure if either are correct.

The first method is that with the "jumper fix" in (so the bike runs normally), and with the side stand down, releasing the clutch in first gear kills the engine as it should.

The second method was taking the sidestand off the bike, and connecting the two wires that normally go into the switch together. Bike runs fine.

I didn't have a multimeter at the time.

As for the jumper fix that is working at the clutch switch. I currently have yellow/black and black jumpered, but jumpering red/black and black also works. The neutral light only stays on when this mickey-mouse fix is in to get the bike to run. Fixing the actually problem should result in the neutral light functioning as normal from my testing.

Thanks
Kawi185

·
Registered
198 Posts
Ahhh, there it is:

"The second method was taking the sidestand off the bike, and connecting the two wires that normally go into the switch together. Bike runs fine."

I'd say undo the hotwire rig you've got on the neutral light and clutch, and either replace the sidestand switch, or just ditch it and leave the wires connected to each other down there... problem solved... or am I misunderstanding you?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sorry Catsis,

I meant to say "Bike runs fine with jumper fix in system", meaning I still have the problem.

If I remove the "jumper fix" at the clutch and bypass the sidestand switch the bike still doesn't run when the clutch is realised.

Sorry for being confusing.

·
Registered
198 Posts
It's OK... I've grown accustomed to living in a state of confusion...

seriously, if it were my bike, I'd double-check all the wiring and connections to make sure that:

a-there aren't any broken or shorted wires
b-everything is connected where it should be

assuming that all that works out and I was still having trouble, I'd go for replacing the neutral sensor down near the countersprocket... I just checked and a new one from bikebandit.com is $6.45 (you may be able to find one for less at a local dealer or somewhere else online, but for $6.45 I'd replace that puppy just so I'd know that that ain't it.

It still doesn't make any sense to me... I'd be *very* thorough in investigating all the wiring harness connections... but you've already said that the sensor for the clutch and sidestand are good, and assuming that the connections are good (and in the right places) then the only thing left in the system is the neutral sensor itself.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts