Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Micron Titanium canister with some scrathes. Can it be refinished or painted?? Never really dealt with titanium before.

When you see flashing lights...drop two and go!

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I doubt it, Ti is supposed to be a biatch to weld. And it's a very tough metal so I think it'll be hard to polish with normal means (though I'm not saying it can't be done.) Later!

·
Registered
360 Posts
Use a scotch bright pad, it will turn the matte finish you probably have now into a brushed finish (think brushed stainless steel). You will need to do the whole canister.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was hoping to be able to restore the stain polished finish, is that possible or will I be stuck with a brushed look like the stock 929 can?

·
Registered
27 Posts
the satin finish can be duplicated by vapor honeing it. It's a process similar to sandblasting but you use a much finer grit sand. It's almost a powder.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is that also called bead blasting, or is it something different?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
These scratches are very surface level, they only seem like they're through the surface oxidation layer.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I have a Micron Ti can also that had some scratches on it, I did polish out the scratches, however the can is chromed so you'll end up dulling the finish. I emagine you could have it dipped and it would be fine, but you'd have to look into it for sure. I kept mine as a spare for the track. I just bought a aluminum can to replace the Ti scratched one. If it gets scratched I can just polished them out. The aluminum can is only like $100 so it's a $100 cheaper then the Ti replacement can.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts