Sportbike Racing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
under heavy braking my rear wheel likes to hop. do i have too much compression?? should i shift my weight farther back as to keep more weight on the back tire?? this kinda throws me off when im tryin to slightly back it into a turn. or do i just use too much rear brake?? also, for the track guys, where do you set your idle speed when your on the track?? do you set it high to help with downshifts or do you leave it low?? i was at n. fl motorsprts yesterday and saw quite a few guys with low idle speeds, but have heard of setting it up high for down shifting. just curious.
suckerpunch7r

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
quality answer from a Honda rider in the Kawi forum.

I'm sure the racers on here will help out. You may want to move this to DR for more input.

Forgive & forget. Just never forget when I forgive.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
If you are downshifting while deccelerating and not matching your wheel speed to engine rpm (or engine rpm to something, not totally sure on this one /images/icons/smile.gif) you can get some rear wheel hop. This is where the whole idea of blipping the throttle when downshifting comes into play.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I'd say Viper6 got it right. Do you slip the cluth as
you let it out when downshifting? Dumping the clutch when downshifting could also cause the rear wheel to hop. Also, my brother-in law races & he keeps the ide speed at about 1,200- 1,500 RPM, FYI.

<font color=purple> This bike capable of evading high speed pursuit!</font color=purple>

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
when i down shift i blip the throttle. i know about matching road to engine speed. it only does it under hard braking. not when down shifting. i took 2 cliks of compression off and rasied my trail 10mm. im fixin to go see how it worked. aprreciate you guys input though. i actually learn stuff in this forum unlike many others where all they talk about is wheelies and stoppies.
suckerpunch7r

·
Registered
259 Posts
ZX7's place more weight over the front wheel than most superbikes and are also known for harsh compression in the rear stock shock. There are a few things to try. Fork oil, replace the crap that came with the bike. You may try lowering the fork tubes in the trees about 5mm to start. Years ago, a bike rag did a nice setup for the ZX7, I will try to find and post.

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
When you say taht you took those 2 clicks of compression out.....I really assume you mean in the rear shock, right? /images/icons/laugh.gif
Anyway, I've always heard, and experienced on my old 6R, that it can be caused by the REBOUND setting of the rear shock.
I played with mine and was able to pretty much eliminate my rear wheel hop under very hard braking.

BA
"<font color=blue>How about never, is never good for you??</font color=blue>"

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah i took out 2 clicks of compression on the rear, but when i sat and thought about it for a minute, i realized exactly what you said. i needed less rebound. so i went down one on rebound and put the compression back in. i fiddled with it most of the weekend and got it pretty much sorted out. but i appreciate all the replies.
suckerpunch7r

1 - 10 of 10 Posts