Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys like more the Penske or the Ohlins for a rear suspension. Of course, $$$ means allot, they do differ. What is your overall opinion?

Triumph Sprint ST

·
Registered
883 Posts
Does anyone have any actual experience with both? I'm curious too. I have a Penske and it is amazingly good, but I only have stock to compare it too.

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
I have Ohlins and they do everything I want them to.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Both are excellent but here is why I went with a Penske. Feedback from various sources like the local racers, a well respected tuner, other owners (who had experience with Fox, Ohlins, Penske, and WP) kept driving a couple of points home. First was that all said that providing Penske with your honest setup wishes nearly guaranteed the shock came right from the factory with the correct spring, rebound and compression rates. In my situation the Penske was literally a bolt on and ride it with little adjustment deal. The trusted tuner claims that only Penske has this consistency and that in comparison Ohlins products take more adjustment (including revalves and new springs) to satisfy to the same level. Support for the Penske product seems to be better than the others, especially Ohlins. For example Penske will rebuild any of their shocks to fit another bike. I already know someone who has sent his Penske back for a retrofit from the Falco he sold to a FZ1 he just bought. Cost a few dollars but still was much cheaper than buying a whole new setup. I could see the argument for going Ohlins if you are going to go full tilt and get an Ohlins fork as well but for me I have been more than pleased with the Penske and in comparison to the Ohlins equiped bikes I have ridden I would say that Penske builds a product that is competitive performance and quality wise with Ohlins.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ian, Thanks for the info. Everything I have heard about Penske is first class. Having one on my ST, is on my list, but due to $$$ not for awhile. What have you done with your front forks?

Triumph Sprint ST

·
Registered
883 Posts
I put the penske on the back of my F4 and had the stock forks revalved and resprung. The Penske is ride height adjustable so I raised the back and adjusted the forks in the triple clamp too. The new set up is great.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
The problem with the front fork is that with the Penske out back it shows that even with the proper spring and synthetic fluid the fork still is valved wrong and suffers from stiction. The fork will go to Linderman Engineering for a complete workover. I have ridden a couple of Linderman reworked forks and they have been magic. One of the bikes (an early RF900) went from having one of the absolutely worst stock forks to being transformed with a fantastic balance of control and compliance. I have also heard good things about Traxion Dynamics but as soon as possible off the forks go to Linderman.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ian, What is the cost of a Linderman? The way I ride the weak link on the ST is the front, too soft. I have played with it once, but still it dives too much under braking. I have looked into a Race Tech Cartridge for about $125 + install. Would your suggestion be a better route and more cost effective?

Triumph Sprint ST

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Well if I had to do it all over again I would have sent my fork off to Lindermann first and then replaced the shock. The stock shock is better than the stock fork on the Daytona and this seems to be the case with the Sprint as well. I have done the Race-Tech revalves and emulators on other bikes and it has been an improvement but still not in the league with Lindermann. The cost is over twice what a Race-Tech kit will run. For the additional money you get springs, revalve, low drag seals, precision surfacing of the moving parts, and the services of an expert suspension tech. They offer a whole range of products and services.

http://www.le-suspension.com/

·
Registered
944 Posts
I would say start suspension improvements with the front end. Wait until the rear is worn out to replace it. The rear isn't the week link. I have had alot of good luck with Race Tech changes in my '99 and now my '02 Sprint ST. I have no personal experience with LE, overall impression is their stuff is great. But, I have heard recently that their street customers have had a few wierd build quality issues(mismatched oil levels, assembly issues), but their race shop is top rate. I would like to think this is just the normal human error that occationally will happen, but since it takes down your bike until it's fixed I understand why those bit by it were so pissed.

2002 Triumph Sprint ST
World Storehouse of useless Knowledge

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Skhol, What do you think of your 02' ST? what improvements have you seen in the bike compared to your 99'. Is the added 10hp noticeable? Buying a new ST, shows your loyalty and success with Triumph, very nice to hear. I look forward to at least 30,000 miles on my 01'.

Triumph Sprint ST

·
Registered
944 Posts
I really like the '02. I've only got 600 miles on it, but now that I can get some revs I do notice the improvement in the motor, and transmission. The motor is more powerful, and even alittle more willing to rev up. I have also had the Triumph Race can fitted(the '99 was all stock). The trans was the most interesting, and unpublicised, improvement. Before, Sprint transmissions were toe breaking tight for the first 1,000 miles or so, not so now. It shifts very slickly from the beginning. The new FI is different, the idle it hunts alittle bit(200-300 rpm) but it's not like it's racing the motor. Not much else has changed. The body work all appears to be the same, accept the hole cut in the left side fairing to clear the new alt on the end of the crank. And I believe I lost .4 a gallon of gas to a bigger airbox, but so far I've been getting about 42 mpg, so it's not so bad.

After 16k miles on a 98 Sprint Exec and 46k miles on a 99 Sprint ST, I think it's fair to say I'm sold on Triumph products as a good fit for me.

2002 Triumph Sprint ST

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Very good to hear! Your right about the pre-02' transmission, a little stiff at first. Mine loosened up allot, I do hit a false neutral during quick shifts sometimes, do you know of any good adjustments that worked. Well congrats on the new bike!

Triumph Sprint ST

·
Registered
944 Posts
Just that you might try adjusting the position of the lever, sometimes that helps. I liked using the Daytona/speed triple('00-'01) one piece shifter personally. It took the little bit of slop out of the shifter feel, and it doesn't reverse the pattern. But it is a $75 part! I specify year because the '02 Daytona, and Sprint for that matter, require a different lever because the transmission shifter shaft is relocated in relation to the footpeg with the new motor.

2002 Triumph Sprint ST

1 - 17 of 17 Posts