Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
E-Tard
11,817 Posts
Yes, you can use the stock chain. The thing to consider is how many miles you have on the current setup? Generally, unless you are using a quick change sprocket carrier and frequently changing out the rear sprocket, you should change the rear sprocket, chain and counter sprocket at the same time.
A used sprocket/counter sprocket will wear your chain faster just as an old chain will do the inverse. We all know dropping $130.00 for a new chain hurts so, I would do the whole 9 yards at once.
Just my .02 cents.

·
Registered
612 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Herbivator said:
That's it. My chain is in good shape and the 40T sprocket will only fit if the chain is worn out.

[/ QUOTE ]
:808908-wtf:

·
E-Tard
11,817 Posts
Maybe he's saying that he tried the 40T and it won't fit because the chain is too short.

If so, thats strange....After I posted my reply I went and double checked with 2 sources. Both concured that you can go up 2 on the rear without buying a longer chain.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My new 40T AFAM Alloy sprocket will not fit on my standard chain. I was very surprised. It seems it would only fit if the chain was sufficiently stretched (worn) (longer.) I suppose with a lot of determination the chain could have been forced around the sprocket but then I'd have had an extremely overtight chain and no suspension travel. My chain has 5200 miles on it. I am bummed.

·
Registered
573 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
ZOEY said:
Maybe he's saying that he tried the 40T and it won't fit because the chain is too short.

If so, thats strange....After I posted my reply I went and double checked with 2 sources. Both concured that you can go up 2 on the rear without buying a longer chain.

[/ QUOTE ] OK.........Thats kinda true, Here is the deal from the local (Louisville) dealer. Monoposto and Biposto bikes have the same length chain. A mono has a 36t rear, biposto a 38t. So if you have a mono, yes, you can go up to a 38 without a new chain. If you have a bip. you are screwed. that chain will never stretch that much, I had to add 3 links when I put on my 40. sorry Herb, I should have told this when you asked the sprocket question. :frown:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmmmm. I have a mono with a 38T rear. I emailed Ken @ Evoluzione who has installed 40T sprockets no problem and he offered these two possibilities. Either Duc short-changed me a couple of links on my chain or I have by accident a 15T front. I'll check it out in the daylight. Its all a bit of a drag as I had my rear wheel off for a tire change. Thanks

·
E-Tard
11,817 Posts
zx~ I completely forgot about that! :bow:

I thought they would use different size chains on the mono vs bip. I should have known.....those crazy Italians. :rolling:
Makes sense that they would use the same size chain (the shorter one) for both bikes. It would save them a few pennies for a shorter chain.

Well, there's another reason for you to get a new chain and countersprocket.
Or, if you wanted to walk on the wild side, you could go get yourself a new master link and a few extra links of DID. I don't recommend that though. :wink:

·
Registered
573 Posts
Zoey- the dealer kinda laughed at me a little when I told him why I needed the new chain, apparently this is a common thing. I looked it up in the haynes manual when I got home and sure enough mono/bip have the same chain length and different sprockets. Herb- I have a 14t front, and I checked my chain and it was the correct length. There was someone else on here who had this problem too. I just dont see how you could get a 40 on without a new chain. you have a 748 right? Maybe the 996-998 bikes have a longer chain?? /wwwthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No I have a 749S. 14T front 38T R. 48 link chain ( I counted it today) Is that the standard chain? Funny thing is Evoluzione said they had fitted a 40T rear on the standard chain. They also said they would discount me a new chain if I can't make the sprocket work.

·
Registered
7 Posts
heard that you can go up 2 teeth without changing the chain length...
it's going on a 2003 999 biposto.
just bought a 15T and 39T AFAM kit! with a 520 chain....
it says it's compatible on the actual packaging - let's hope they are right!
;P

·
Registered
573 Posts
Herb- the chain that was on my bike stock was a 94 link chain. I just looked in my manual and that what it was supposed to come with. I had to put a 96 link on with the 40t. This is a really confusing problem, it seems to be hit or miss with different bikes /wwwthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well I'm even more baffled. I counted 48 links on mine which I assume is 96 rollers (is that what you mean) and it wont fit. Grrrr! Seems like I need to do a recount. Somehow I'm beginning to wish my life was fuller.

·
Registered
573 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Herbivator said:
Well I'm even more baffled. I counted 48 links on mine which I assume is 96 rollers (is that what you mean) and it wont fit. Grrrr! Seems like I need to do a recount. Somehow I'm beginning to wish my life was fuller.

[/ QUOTE ] Well, now I wonder if the distance from sprocket to sprocket is different between the 748/749??

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.