Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I dont have to agonize any more. I went to Connecticut and test drove a used RC51 today. Plenty of power. Not going to instigate all the inline 4 guys or anything, and yes it was a totally different type of power but anyone who says the RC is slow has a crack problem. It wont make the peak numbers of the 4s but the power seems to be all the way in by a ridiculously low rpm. I had the tire up off the ground a few inches in second gear with just the throttle a couple times by accident too. Serious midrange. I found my next toy.

-For everyone that remembers I had ridden a 996 and hated it (this may even be an understatement). I know the numbers don't say it but my butt dyno seems to think that the RC would tear the ass out of a 996!

Wheelies don't necessarily make you a squid, but bitchin about em' sure makes you a sissy!

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

I know the numbers don't say it but my butt dyno seems to think that the RC would tear the ass out of a 996!

<hr></blockquote>

LOL!

·
Registered
863 Posts
Gunther! Great to hear you got a test ride in and liked the RC.

Your butt dyno is correct. Stock RC51 has about 10 hp on a 996.

Later

·
Registered
479 Posts
/images/icons/shocked.gif/images/icons/shocked.gif/images/icons/shocked.gif/images/icons/shocked.gif/images/icons/shocked.gif......

the 996 is my dream bike, I'ts all i have to live for/images/icons/laugh.gif

why didn't u like it?????

<font color=blue>2001 R6<font color=blue>
<font color=blue>The Blue one Is Faster<font color=blue>/images/icons/cool.gif

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Mind if I use that, Gunther? Next time someone rolls up with a 996 and gives me hard looks, I wanna tell him "my RC will tear the ass out of your 996!"/images/icons/laugh.gif It's just too cool./images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
16,056 Posts
I don't care for Honda(bet ya'll dident know that)but the RC51 is seriously a very cool bike! I'd buy one if the price was right. Most poeple want to much due to the few numbers out./images/icons/crazy.gif

·
Registered
424 Posts
How was the handling on that RC? Was it fairly easy to push around,or does it feel a bit heavy?

Hangup that damn cellphone and drive!

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
I rode the MilleR raced preped and it was a different power.

Here is my comparison:

Is like getting your freak on with a heavy set woman than with a skinny one. She'll move you and make you smile, but in a different way :)

P.S. The sitting position on the MilleR was too agressive for me. And this comes from a GSXR rider perspective!

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The reports of the RC's increased weight are only accurate on the scale itself. The RC has a low center of gravity and the V-twin has slightly less of a gyroscope effect when trying to flick the bike around so you dont feel like it is a brick between your legs by any means. One thing I can say though....I felt much more like I was IN my ZX-9R and ON the RC51. It is small and feels light when in motion. Maybe a bit more twitchy but the cornering is excellent...no question!

Wheelies don't necessarily make you a squid, but bitchin about em' sure makes you a sissy!

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
From my limited time on an RC, yes I felt like I was riding a bronco. I'm an average 6'0" height, but on the freeway.. .DAMN my head was in the buffeting zone, getting knocked left and right by gusts of wind. I hope the 2002 screen works better than the 2000 model.

Shite, my insurance is going to go from 900 -> 1400$ if I get onto an RC. My F4 was hauling pretty good in the hills yesterday, but cruising on her around the city is definitely a biatch...

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I wonder what is the average age for an RC51 rider...

·
Registered
144 Posts
hey donoman, i would actually be interested in knowing that. I just bought one this winter and still havn't been able to ride it as we got 20 cm of snow in the last 2 days here. But I am 21 and it would be cool to see what age other rc owners are.

·
Registered
863 Posts
At our upcoming track day we've got over 50 RC51s coming out. Youngest rider is 22, oldest is 63! Average age 38. Not too many squids on 51s /images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
7,824 Posts
how tall are you and are you comfortable on the bike? i heard it's for shorter riders...i'm 5'8 and i think i'd love it...if i wasn't so damn poor haha

1 - 20 of 22 Posts