Sportbike Racing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know where I can find rain tires (full wets, or intermediates) to fit a 17" x 4.25" rear rim? All I've been able to find are 17" x 5.5" or 18" x 4.0" from Michelin or Bridgestone, respectively. Fronts are easy to find, but I can't go to a 5.5" rear rim due to chain clearance/swingarm width, and I'd rather not have to lace up an 18" rear wheel.

I'm currently running Pilot Races, but after 10 dry, hard laps, the tire is still not warm. Guess that's what I get for running sportbike tires on a supermotard - the bike's not light enough to properly work the tires, even with only 20lb pressure.

So can anyone out there point me somewhere that'll have a rain tire, or am I going to be stuck buying soft-compound slicks and a tire groover?

-nominal_squid-

·
eCancelChristmas
13,805 Posts
there's such a thing as a "tire groover"...???

·
ehasbeen
5,207 Posts
shamar1,
Did we find something your not familar with ?/images/icons/smile.gif
Check out your local car dirt track. Those guys will have a tire groover /images/icons/wink.gif
I think I put a 180 full ran on the back of my F2 rim... what width was that ~4.5???? The tire balls up a bunch but in the rain it still worked great.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I did some more searching and found that people have successfully fitted 16/63-17 Michelin wets on a 4.25" rim. Gives a funny profile on the sides, but evidently works well. I don't know what 16/63 works out to, but it's recommended fitment is 5.5" rims.

If I can find someone with a tire groover, I'm going to give the cut slick a shot first, though. The tire is cheaper than a full rain tire, and the fellow using full rain front/cut slick rear (Cannondale factory guy, very fast) was not having any traction problems at all.

-nominal_squid-
SMUSA #11

·
eCancelChristmas
13,805 Posts
hahaa... yeah indie... i always thought a "tire groover" was simply the crew chief with an exacto knife or something...!!! LOL don't spend much time at auto dirt tracks. btw notto, i meant to attach this link with my first post, but you may wanna try MTA tires. i think i remember seeing a selection of bridgestone rains on their site at one time in the past...?

http://www.mtatires.com

and speaking of rains, here's a guy i caught at a freezing cold track day this past sunday that turned wet in the afternoon. the rain even turned to sleet and hail at one point in the day... LOL man, this guy "haulin' A" on this fzr P.O.S. it was only him and one other guy on a gixxer1 fearlessly tearing it up in the wet. he mentioned he cop'd his rains off ebay for a 100 bucks. don't know the sizes...? but he did mention that it's an old 6r rear and an old pre '96 7r front end on that thing... LOL for a "fossil like" '92, this fzr had possibly the best exhaust note of any I4... and i mean EVER...!!! :) all of us workers were commenting about it over the radios.

that's why i've got pics... i had to inquire as to what state of tune the bike was in and what exhaust he was running... LOL

·
eCancelChristmas
13,805 Posts
btw, this was this guy's other "YA-MAMA-HA"... naw, it wasn't an 0W01 or anything... just a painted up 7-fitty... :( looked good though.

as you can see in the pics, by the emptiness of the paddock background, most of the "girlie men" had already long "pulled chocks and chains" and cleared out... LOL

1 - 7 of 7 Posts