Sportbike Racing Forum banner

Race Results - 02 Daytona @ Daytona International

2K views 24 replies 8 participants last post by  tbb10785 
#1 ·
OK, I didn't set the roadracing world on fire at Daytona but I did manage to finish the Sound of Thunder race on Tuesday. Lap times where slow due to a wiggle/wobble I was getting on the banking starting at the top of 4th gear and continuing into 5th and 6th. GMD Computrack changed the rear spring but we didn't get a chance to test it in practice. During the race the bike was better but I was building my speed up slowly dropping about 1 second a lap over the 8 lap race. I believe I finished 11th out of 21 bikes. More practice would have been nice. The bike runs great but I need more seat time to get comfortable.

On March 1st at the DeLand airport event I finished 4th out of 12 on the Triumph. Here's a link of a photo taken of me & the bike at DeLand.

http://www.2wf.com/ImageHosting/image.view.single.asp?ArticleID={D547B8BE-4665-4FBB-84F1-A1D89C2F6DE4}&ImageID={E631454E-E3CD-4A9C-963D-51C7A9C45CA5}&Height=443&Width=620&ImageType=jpg&Caption=&page=2

BTW, I became a 3 time Daytona winner on Monday with my MZ Skorpion. I won the new Production Singles class which replaces the MZ Skorpion Cup class which I won in 2000 & 2001.

Bruce Brown
02 Triumph Daytona
97 MuZ Skorpion
AHRMA #919
http://communities.msn.com/BackRoadsRacingTeam/

See less See more
#8 ·
Good for you! Nothing better than going to a race, competing, and being okay about your finish. The thrill is to do it. Personally, I still get that thrill going around corners. Keep us posted with your results and a list of your mods would be nice if you have the time.
Bruce
99/900

#10 ·
Mods to date;

GMD Computrack of Atlanta reworked the forks and installed a Penske rear shock. They also did the full geometry optimization and I have adjustable triple clamps in place of the stock ones. FYI, the stock Daytona has very little trail so we decreased the offset to gain some trail numbers.

Steering damper & double bubble windscreen

Lots of safety wire :)

FYI, the bike dynoed at 132hp with the stock can and air filter. Plenty of power so I'm going to race with the stock can for a while. For comparision purposes, the same day we dynoed a stock R6 and it made 98hp.

#11 ·
Hey Mich-ST,

I was happy to leave Daytona without crashing and pickup the win on the MZ. Satisfied with my riding on the 955i, no, but happy to have a body and bike to go to the next race.

I'll be in at Grattan Raceway in MI the third weekend of June (check www.AHRMA.org for the schedule) and also race Mid-Ohio and Putnam Park which are close to MI.

#12 ·
From the AHRMA rulebook;

SOUND OF THUNDER® is open to the following types of machines with these restrictions:

a) Four-stroke singles of any displacement.

b) Eight-valve desmo twins to 1000cc, OHC twins to 1100cc and pushrod twins to 1350cc.

c) Three-cylinder machines to 1000cc.

d) Twin-rotor rotary engines.

e) Turbocharging or supercharging permitted only on single-cylinder machines.

f) Engines and frames may be of any origin.

==========================================================
Primarily the bikes are Ducs, Aprilias, TLR1000's and RC51's.

#16 ·
OK, I updated my profile. Sorry about leaving it blank.

You guys are going to give me some sxxt on this one but I don't have a printout of the dyno run. The printer at the shop was broken when we made the dyno runs but we saved the data on the hard drive. I'll check with Jim to see if they purchased a new printer yet. Once I have a hard copy it will be no problem to scan it and post.

02 Triumph Daytona
97 MuZ Skorpion
AHRMA #919

#17 ·
Tbb, You live in N.C. what bike do you use to tear up those incredible roads down there. I have been through N.C., Tenn, W.Va and Virgina on the trusty ST, I was speechless how nice it is too ride down there. I plan a May and Aug 02' trip down again.

Triumph Sprint ST

#18 ·
The bike that get the most seat time is my XR100! ;-)

I live in the central part of North Carolina, which has some nice roads, but I rarely ride on the street. The weekends between races are usually spent doing maintenance to the Triumph & MZ (truck, trailer, etc) plus doing as much dirt tracking as I can in the back yard. Riding on the street was ruined for me once I began racing. Also the wife doesn't like to ride bikes, although she enjoys going to the races, so that's another reason driving the 4-wheeled cage.

You need to meet my MZ racing buddy in Waynesville, NC, which is pretty close to Deals Gap. Have fun and be safe when you visit the tar heel state.

Bruce Brown
02 Triumph Daytona
97 MZ
AHRMA #919
communities.msn.com/BackRoadsRacingTeam/

#20 ·
The shop just faxed me a copy of the dyno runs which my email software converted to a tiff file. Sorry, it's not in color. The graph show 3 runs in 4th gear up to the rev limiter with hp peaking at 133-135 each run.

Bruce Brown
02 Triumph Daytona
97 MZ
AHRMA #919

#25 ·
Thanks for the help in posting the dyno chart!

I was wrong on the dyno reading (one point off), peak was between 130-132. Gee, I should be able to read graph's better since my day job is an accountant. Yep, I wear glasses too when I race. What a nerd!

BB

Bruce Brown
02 Triumph Daytona
97 MZ
AHRMA #919

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.