Sportbike Racing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Arai Signet GT that I'm looking to replace. It's real loud at speed and I have to wear earplugs which I HATE to do. I've owned a Shoei in the past that was "OK" sound wise and have heard that some Shoei helmets are MUCH quieter. Can anyone give me any advice on which helmets to look at... or where to find the latest helmet comparo? I typically buy very high quality helmets (like the X-SPII I'm considering) and I'll only consider Shoei as a replacement. Since Arai isn't going to sell over the internet anymore, I'm boycotting! (haha!)
All you Honda people are sticklers for quality so fill me in here!

Thanks!

·
Registered
115 Posts
The only cure for noise " at speed " is a taller windshield. Those Arai Signets are as quiet as they get. Earplugs are a fact of life as far as i know. Hope this helps.

don't panic

·
Registered
392 Posts
I have a Shoei XSP-II and its not nearly as quiet as I hoped it would be, I used to have a Shoei xtec and it was about the same as the xsp-II for wind noise. I recently bought a Shoei ZII that I'm going to use for racing and I've been using it on the street for the past couple of weeks to break it in and I can't believe how much quieter it is than my XSP-II.
I figured that Shoei's top of the line helmet(xsp-II) would be the quietest, but for me the ZII is much quieter and its really comfortable too. I'd try on the ZII if I were you and see if it fits your melon. Just as a side note, I've found on the ZII that its quieter when the chin piece thingy that comes with it is installed, although its not a whole lot worse without it but I'd say it does make a difference.

"How fast have you had it up to?"...if I had a dime...../images/icons/tongue.gif

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
Hes right.. wind is something were always gonna have to deal with. Ive decided that im not so concerned with the noise factor but the fit of the helmet. A good fitting helmet will also cut down wind noise too. I was wearing a HJC helmet and borrowed another style from a friend which fits better and found that it is quieter. One thing you can do to help reduce wind noise is buy the piece that fits around the bottom opening of the helmet at the neck. Blocking out the wind travel around your neck will make things quieter.

<font color=red>Ride Red</font color=red>

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I tried an AGV Q3 it was very quiet compared to my Shoei X-9 or my Arai Quantum.

<font color=red>Where did you go at that last curve?<font color=red>

·
Registered
900 Posts
I've tried several helmets out, and have had a fair share of Arai's both Signet's, Quantum's, and the RX7RRR race series. I've worn a Shoei a few times, and Nolans. The best helmet I've owned yet for all areas is my new 02 Suomy. I ran a trackday to test my suspension this last weekend, and so I did plenty of laps, with front stretch speeds in excess of 150mph and it was super quiet. The liner is top notch, the venting was awesome, I felt fresh air all around my head. My arai had all kinds of vents and it didn't do half the cooling this Suomy does. It's light, small, I was just all around very impressed with the whole helmet. You want to know one of the best things? I paid $300 for it shipped!!!! Reguarly $399!!!!

·
Registered
634 Posts
That GT is a flat track helmet!!! When I first got my lic. I had an old bubba shobert replica and it was noisy as hell on the road. ( I used to roundy round) I have since had a lot of lids some where quieter than others. but then again I`ve always used earplugs, after puting them in try a small piece of duct tape or some sort of sports tape over them and it should sort you out..

·
Registered
53 Posts
AGV Q3 had a strong reputation as a quiet helmet.
I´ve had one and now I´m using Q3Pro(the one x-vent replaces).I don´t really know for x-vent,but the other AGV´s are just perfect to me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts