Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've just started using Ebay and am unable to win any auctions. It seems like I always get outbid at the last possible second (sniping).

So, what is the process for winning auctions? Let's say I'm bidding on a windshield and it's like $25. Do I put in a "highest bid" at like $40 to keep the $26 snipers off my ass or something?

I honestly don't understand the inner workings of ebay and how to win auctions. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I would just set your max bid at the most you'd want to pay for the item. The system will automatically outbid your "opponent" until they bid higher than your maximum bid.

·
Registered
7,177 Posts
It sucks, but the way to win a highly active item is to snipe.

Decide BEFORE how much the item is worth to you, including the shipping. Set up a bid for that amount in another window, then keep refreshing your "watching" window for the last few moments of the auction.

Once the clock hits ~10 seconds, submit your bid. A high speed connection is highly preferred - a modem may take too long to refresh.

Mind you, do not get emotional. No sense paying $75 for a $25 item just to "win". Also, I've been sniped with only seconds left - it happens.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Just because you lose an auction doesn't mean you won't get the item. If it looks like the seller sells a lot of the item, send the seller an e-mail asking if they have more and the price you'll pay. Also, if its a one off item let them know if the transaction falls through you will still pay the price that you bid. Sometimes they will even e-mail you when a buyer doesnt come through. There's more to e-bay than just following the rules :smile: When I won or bid on stuff to rebulid my VFR I would always e-mail the guy and see if he had any other parts I needed.

Also, when you do win something its important to pay quicky, I have outstanding feedback and it helps when I negotiate with sellers since they know I don't screw around and will send their money immediately.

Also, be prepared to pair a fair market value. You are not going to find stuff super cheap, unless its something that nobody else would want. There are a TON of bidders, even if it looks like something will fall through the cracks it never does. :grin:

Also, when sniping, NEVER bid unless its your first and last bid. Sometimes ppl will put a bid out there and think its going to stand if nobody else bids on it. Your first and last bid should be at the last second.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts