Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've just started using Ebay and am unable to win any auctions. It seems like I always get outbid at the last possible second (sniping).

So, what is the process for winning auctions? Let's say I'm bidding on a windshield and it's like $25. Do I put in a "highest bid" at like $40 to keep the $26 snipers off my ass or something?

I honestly don't understand the inner workings of ebay and how to win auctions. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
7,177 Posts
It sucks, but the way to win a highly active item is to snipe.

Decide BEFORE how much the item is worth to you, including the shipping. Set up a bid for that amount in another window, then keep refreshing your "watching" window for the last few moments of the auction.

Once the clock hits ~10 seconds, submit your bid. A high speed connection is highly preferred - a modem may take too long to refresh.

Mind you, do not get emotional. No sense paying $75 for a $25 item just to "win". Also, I've been sniped with only seconds left - it happens.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Just because you lose an auction doesn't mean you won't get the item. If it looks like the seller sells a lot of the item, send the seller an e-mail asking if they have more and the price you'll pay. Also, if its a one off item let them know if the transaction falls through you will still pay the price that you bid. Sometimes they will even e-mail you when a buyer doesnt come through. There's more to e-bay than just following the rules :smile: When I won or bid on stuff to rebulid my VFR I would always e-mail the guy and see if he had any other parts I needed.

Also, when you do win something its important to pay quicky, I have outstanding feedback and it helps when I negotiate with sellers since they know I don't screw around and will send their money immediately.

Also, be prepared to pair a fair market value. You are not going to find stuff super cheap, unless its something that nobody else would want. There are a TON of bidders, even if it looks like something will fall through the cracks it never does. :grin:

Also, when sniping, NEVER bid unless its your first and last bid. Sometimes ppl will put a bid out there and think its going to stand if nobody else bids on it. Your first and last bid should be at the last second.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts