Sportbike Racing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 99 zx9r, i'm getting a full system and jet kit put on here in about two weeks, i'm considering an ignition advancer, anyone have any feed back for me, pros and cons of. Thanks in advance.

Steve

"Excuses are like Buttholes, everybody's got one and they all STINK!!!"

·
Registered
181 Posts
Why yes it will help. My 99 zx9 has full pipe ,jet kit .Before I put on the advance it stumbled @ 3000 rpm.After I installed it at +2.5, stumble disappeared and seemed to have more midrange.No difference in top end but I would still like to play with it on the dyno to see what can be done

nothin exceeds like excess

·
Registered
17 Posts
All it will do is help. It makes up for a design flaw built into the bike that is targeted for a market around the world where gasoline qualities differ greatly. The quality of gasoline in the US is much higher than other parts of the world so we here can afford to advance the timing a little bit and eke more out of the gas. (High rating gas). Its just the opposite of "pinging" caused by using low grade gas in a high engine. In short it will cause your bike to run better at all rpm's but you may feel it more in the low end. I did.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help!!!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Steve in your profile it says you have frame sliders. What type are they? Were they hard to attach? Any fairing cutting involved? Pictures? Are they more for show or are they really worthy? I keep debating getting a set of them but I have seen some bikes out there with these really weak looking ones I could snap off with my hands.

nothin exceeds like excess

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've got the kind that attach with the engine mounting bolts, yes there was faring cutting involved (my local shop took care of that for me)(they did a nice job too)(was worth it to have them do it, cause they missed on the left side the first time and had to send it out to be fixed, didn't cost me anything extra) I'll try and get some pictures for ya to look at. I also had to modify the overflow coolant tank, i ended up basically cutting a U shape into it, taking extra plastic and Super glue for plastic and some other stuff i can't remember the name of and patching where i cut so it would go around the frame slider, otherwise the slider is in the way and you can't get the stock tank back on. On that note though, after i went thru all the trouble to do it, one of the service guys at the dealership where i bought the bike said i could have used an overflow tank off a gsxr750, i forget what year. Hope i didn't confuse ya to much, but i will definetly try and get some pictures for ya to look at.

steve

·
Registered
729 Posts
I got the Muzzy adjustable one..it cleaned up the low end nice and winds up the mid too...Just follow whatever instructions Muzzy tells you to put it at..I know if you turn it all the way advanced it will cause problems...So ask Muzzy what they think you should set it at.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Syank, what setting did Muzzy recommend for your bike? Are you using and adjustable advancer? Everyone I've checked with recommends a +4 advance. For the 99 9R anyway.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Mine is set at 2.5 degrees advanced and I have a 98 ZX9R which is the same as your 99.. Kurt at Muzzy told me to set it a 2.5 and it seems to be perfect. He told me I can go up a little more but he said NOT to set it all the way to 5 degrees or it will blow the motor.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts