Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
E-Tard
Joined
·
11,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Project from hell update. I\'m deep into the tunnel

I finally bought a 27mm socket so I could get the clutch basket off and move on with the project. I didn't have a basket holding tool so I made one from left over aluminum scrap pieces (from the "Project from hell~ bodywork mounting" series :cwm27:).

With a few choice words and 3 time-outs for myself, I finally got the cases split. Unfortunately for me, 1/2 of the transmission ended up in one side of the case.



And the other 1/2 of the transmission in the other case.



So, to make my life a little better I removed the transmission from the left side and put it together with the part in the left. Sounds easy right? Not so. Remember, God hates me.
Turns out that I had to take both right and left sides out of the cases and assemble the gears together. I also had to remove the gear selector forks. I then put the gears in the case as a unit and placed the forks it the correct (crossing fingers) places.
It's all on the same side now.



Up to this point I hadn't found any more epoxy pieces in the engine but, I knew that they had to be hiding somewhere. I pulled the main oil screen out of the case and look what I found :blush:



More epoxy. :flame: I changed the oil after every track day and would find the epoxy. I never did find any epoxy in the oil filter. Even after cutting them apart.
So, it's a good thing that I decided to dive into the motor otherwise, these last few pieces would have decreased my oil flow and probably would have never came out of the engine.

Now it's just a waiting game for the upgrade engine parts. I've decided to do the following:
JE +2mm pistons.
APE adjustable cam sprockets.
Carberator pods (get rid of the air box).
Crank and rod bearings.
'03 SV exhaust cams (hotter cam).
Shaved head and base gaskets.

I'll post more updates as the parts roll in. It's time to take the cylinders in for a little overbore :waytogo:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,608 Posts
Re: Project from hell update. I\'m deep into the tunnel

Looks like way to much fun , im also probably ganna have to split my case here soon , hopefully i wont have the probs you did .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,036 Posts
Re: Project from hell update. I\'m deep into the tu

With the extra tweaks you're going to build in, that's going to be a sweet engine when it's done. Keep the pics coming. I love this stuff.
 

·
eratbiker
Joined
·
3,826 Posts
Re: Project from hell update. I\'m deep into the tu

ZOEY STOP


dont have your cilinders bored already, wait till you have the pistons and then take pistons and cilinders in and let them bore the cilinder to each piston. and keep that piston with that cilinder at all times , if it is a good shop that will give you better sealing thus more power (fraction of a pony but hey every bit counts)
 

·
E-Tard
Joined
·
11,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Project from hell update. I\'m deep into the tu

HELL~ Funny you should mention that. After I posted I thought about the same thing. :waytogo:

I searched the net for parts and so far it's been a pain. Most of the sites don't list prices. Only part numbers. :flame:
I was trying to get an idea of what the total cost would be.
I should have 999 bodywork at my door within the next month or so. :smile: (HELL~I know how much you would love it :cwm27:)

The project hasn't really been that bad. It's just time consuming when you don't have all of the correct tools and have never done it before.
Hopefully she won't explode when I fire her up the first time. :rolling: A buddy of mine superbiked his SV. When he put the engine back together he got one of the cams turned 180Deg. The motor exploded the top and bottom end within 10 seconds. :blush:
Hopefully, I won't be "that guy"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,621 Posts
Re: Project from hell update. I\'m deep into the tu

[ QUOTE ]
ZOEY said:Hopefully she won't explode when I fire her up the first time. :rolling: A buddy of mine superbiked his SV. When he put the engine back together he got one of the cams turned 180Deg. The motor exploded the top and bottom end within 10 seconds. :blush:
Hopefully, I won't be "that guy"

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't know about the piston/valve clearance and timing on the SV (but, based on your buddy's experience, it appears to be similiar--at least on a modded motor, no doubt with shaved heads), but I know from doing valve adjustments on CBRs (requires removal and reinstallation of the cams), you can SLOWLY and GENTLY turn the motor over BY HAND (rachet and socket, actually :smirk:), and if one (or both, I suppose) of the cams is installed 180, valve(s--i.e.: 2) and piston will contact each other--ideally, a light touch, hence the "SLOWLY" and "GENTLY" :wink:--and prevent the motor from turning any further. Then the problem can be corrected without harm.

You're a ways away, but, considering the time and money involved, I'd be inclined to turn the motor over as described before thumbing the starter button for the first time. :waytogo:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,478 Posts
Re: Project from hell update. I\'m deep into the tu

[ QUOTE ]
TravellinJones said:
Ya know Zoey, there'll never be a better time than now to get your transmission gears undercut....

[/ QUOTE ]

Was ist das?

/wwwthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,608 Posts
Re: Project from hell update. I\'m deep into the tu

Its where they backcut the engagement cogs on the gears for more positive engagement . Well worth the $$$$$
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
Re: Project from hell update. I\'m deep into the tu

[ QUOTE ]
south said:
[ QUOTE ]
ZOEY said:Hopefully she won't explode when I fire her up the first time. :rolling: A buddy of mine superbiked his SV. When he put the engine back together he got one of the cams turned 180Deg. The motor exploded the top and bottom end within 10 seconds. :blush:
Hopefully, I won't be "that guy"

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't know about the piston/valve clearance and timing on the SV (but, based on your buddy's experience, it appears to be similiar--at least on a modded motor, no doubt with shaved heads), but I know from doing valve adjustments on CBRs (requires removal and reinstallation of the cams), you can SLOWLY and GENTLY turn the motor over BY HAND (rachet and socket, actually :smirk:), and if one (or both, I suppose) of the cams is installed 180, valve(s--i.e.: 2) and piston will contact each other--ideally, a light touch, hence the "SLOWLY" and "GENTLY" :wink:--and prevent the motor from turning any further. Then the problem can be corrected without harm.

You're a ways away, but, considering the time and money involved, I'd be inclined to turn the motor over as described before thumbing the starter button for the first time. :waytogo:

[/ QUOTE ]

When you go swapping cams and slugs, you really should clay the piston to valve clearances. The spec should be in the shop manual.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
205 Posts
Re: Project from hell update. I\'m deep into the tu

[ QUOTE ]
terrasmak said:
Its where they backcut the engagement cogs on the gears for more positive engagement . Well worth the $$$$$

[/ QUOTE ]

Well aren't you the smart one around here :lol2:!!! Hi hope your enjoying japan. Suppost to do the ex500 engine and think i may just have to take a crapload of pics and do alittle project in here like this one. Great info pics man & good luck with it.
 

·
E-Tard
Joined
·
11,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: Project from hell update. I\'m deep into the tu

[ QUOTE ]
Ya know Zoey, there'll never be a better time than now to get your transmission gears undercut....


[/ QUOTE ]
I was looking at that on the net last night. Looks like a really good idea! I will have to see how the money thing plays out.

Turning the engine over by hand is a great idea. I think I will also have someone look over the engine before I put the cases together and again when I install the cams.
 

·
E-Tard
Joined
·
11,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: Project from hell update. I\'m deep into the tu

[ QUOTE ]
When you go swapping cams and slugs, you really should clay the piston to valve clearances. The spec should be in the shop manual.

[/ QUOTE ]
It will be done by the guys boring the cylinders. I'm also thinking about having the pistons coated.
 

·
E-Tard
Joined
·
11,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: Project from hell update. I\'m deep into the tu

HEY Silverback!!!! I am so glad to see that you are posting here :bow: :bow:

Silverback: Thank you, thank you, thank you for all of your help with this project! I couldn't do it without your infinite wisdom and seemingly never ending pateints. I only hope I can repay you the favor some day. :waytogo:

[ QUOTE ]
neat

[/ QUOTE ] My friend, you have absolutely no idea how understated the word "neat" is.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,608 Posts
Re: Project from hell update. I\'m deep into the tu

[ QUOTE ]
Silverback said:
a preview of 999 bodywork on an SV...



[/ QUOTE ]do you hav e afront view , right now it just looks like a normal Sv that i see at the track , or maybe a normal race bodywork pic to post next to it .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
612 Posts
Re: Project from hell update. I\'m deep into the tu

Go ahead and tell the kids just how neat it is. You know what I'm talking about- h.p. :shocked:
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top