Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm partway done in converting my 2000 996 biposto to monoposto. I have the carbon underseat oil breather and aluminum subframe. The problem is the wiring harness isn't long enough and will not reach the computer. I've tried rerouting the harness to no avail, and was told the mono and bip had different part numbers for the wiring harnesses.

So........anyone here done a bip to mono conversion and did you have the same problem as me?

·
Registered
139 Posts
uh-oh!

should have asked about that one before you spent the $$$(maybe you did, i might have missed it).

the harness is the big problem when going bip sub to mono sub, it just won't reach. many have decided that it was too much of a problem (and a risk) trying to rewire or lengthen the harness just to save weight on the subframe.

i'm not saying it can't be done but the weight savings is minimal at best, so you're better off compromising by using only the mono tail on your bip sub.

this way you can easily go back if you want to give a ride to a pretty lady (probably doesn't make you feel any better :bawling: but at least i tried :grin:)

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would bet the weight savings are in excess of ten pounds, as the biposto subframe is way heavy. The real reason for this conversion is my engine work. Part of my engine work was to add the underseat crankcase breather, and it wont' work with the biposto subframe.

I may just lengthen the short wires..........

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I started to lengthen the wires, but I could have done it a much easier way. I ended up buying a mono wiring harness for $50, so hopefully there won't be any more issues.

·
eCancelChristmas
13,805 Posts
section 8 hooked ya up. :waytogo: it just occured to me... if a corse breather box fits under the seat on the old generation bike...? where do they fit a corse breather box for the new generation bike that clearly has no space for it under the seat...? :crazy: btw, tell mental998 S1 says "NO"... i don't like where his battery is...? not even a lil' bit. :rolling: (*in the voice of comic book guy*) worst placement ever...!

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the picture! That's what I need to see. Mental's bike looks just like his namesake: mental. Too damned trick, everywhere. Section8 has saved the day, that's for sure. I got the aluminum mono frame from them, and a new 45/50 half system. Now if I can just get the engine finished...........

1 - 8 of 8 Posts