Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've been thinking alot about getting on the track. I would really enjoy seeing what I could push this bike to do. I do enjoy riding on the street too, but only have one bike. I don't really know many people who ride on the track, so i have a few questions...

1. I'm afraid that going to the track is going to guarantee a totaled bike......is this true??

2. what are the MUST-haves for a track bike as far as MODS?

3. How expensive is this Hobby??

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
1) Ride within your limits, your own pace.

2) Mods - none. Get used to riding on the track and building your skill and confidence. Track bikes run the gamit from 125 two strokes to current liter bikes and everything in between. Spend your money on tires and gas.

3) Depends. Can get real expensive if you go buy a trailer, start modding your bike and do a lot of track days. Also figure in hotels if you don't camp at the track.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
Track riding wont' garauntee a totalled bike. In fact, a crash here may often result in less damage than a similar crash on the street because there's less likelyhood that your bike will hit something (like a phone pole). That said, the nature of a track is to push your comfort and skill level, and when you start to play with the edge of your/your bike's performance you may risk a crash. But that's up to you.

I agree with the previous poster in that no mods are NECESSARY. I've ridden my SV on the track with the only mods being stiffer fork springs - which I did for the street anyway.

However, most people who ride the track often will do:
1) Suspension mods
2) stickier tires
3) Braided steel brake lines / high-perf brake pads
4) rear-set foot pegs
5) Frame sliders/protectors

Riding on the track is not inherently expensive. It can be as cheap or as expensive as you want it to be. I used to do very little to my bike to get it ready for a track day; which resulted in a cost of about $110 to $140 per track day. If you have to drive far or eat a lot or sleep in a motel then you may spend as much as $200.

Tires will probably last you 4 - 5 track days during your early stages. Any other cost will likely be a result of crashing / doing mods / purchasing riding gear.

----

Money aside, track riding will be one of the VERY best investments you can make in your riding career. Do it at least a few times no matter what the cost.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
I say ride her like she is before buying a lot of things you may not need.
You will want a new set of "Track Tires" I wouldn't ride my street tires if I were you. :808876-nono:

The cost can be a factor if you start getting that "hobby bug"./wwwthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
The track is the best thing that I can think of to spend my extra $$$ on :waytogo:

Don't ride past your capabilities you and your bike will be fine.:waytogo:

·
Registered
9,753 Posts
I can tell you that the MOST fun you can have is on a bike that you are not too concerned about keeping pretty.

That said, you can still have a BLAST on your pretty street bike. Just keep your ego in check that's all.

Remember a slow track day is still MUCH faster than a fast street ride. :wink: (and infinately more rewarding.)

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
Ok, I say this everytime. Go out and get yourself a track day set of bodywork. You can either get a trashed set of stock stuff, or go and get some race bodywork. Lots of times you can go to a dealer and get the bodywork that they replace for their customers who have crashed. Some cool shops give it free cuz they were going to throw it away anyways, some will sell it pretty cheap. You can probably get a crashed set of race bodywork from some racers in your area for pretty cheap, fix it up with a $10 fiberglass set. I've seen it tons of times. Guys tell me that they don't have enough money to change out their pretty stock bodywork, so they take it out on the track for a track day, they crash, and then they end up spend $2000 to replace their stock stuff. Trust me, take the time to do this! You can even get a brand new set of Race bodywork for about $600, which is significantly cheaper then buying replacement stock stuff.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts