Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pre-\'03 R6

Well folks, I'm thinking of getting bike #2 within the next 3 months or so. The top choice for me is either a 99-02 R6 or 99-03 6R. Personally, I'd love the '03 R6 in silver with black mid-fairing, but I don't think that it will fall in my price range.

So, any gotchas specific to the 99-02 R6 other than the usual buyer beware tips for a used motorcycle? I'm also trying to find the color schemes available for these years. In digging through all the pages on bikepics.com (great site if you haven't checked it out, btw), I only saw the racing blue scheme, the red, a horrible black and grey with orange highlights for '99 and a black and gray with white highlights for '02.

Thanks for the help folks!

·
Registered
16,056 Posts
Re: Pre-\'03 R6

The bike is bullet proof. I have a 99 for my trackbike and I beat and crash the life out of it and it always begs for more.

I have yet to have a single problem that was not related to me :lol:
You really can't go wrong with one s long as it's in good condition.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Ah, thanks for the info! I figure my budget would leave me with a '99 or '00. Other than being down on horsepower (which I couldn't care less about), what differences am I looking at going down the years? Any place I can go to read up on it?

·
Registered
16,056 Posts

The only real difference in the first generation R6's are the tail.
The 99 and 2000(I believe) have the old style tail lights.
More square and bulb instead of LED and a little dated looking.
In 01 they went to two round LED tail lights and a body colored under tail.
Other than that all years are virtualy indentical.
All parts fit 99-02.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Ah. So the background that I've been oggling must be the 01/02. A factory undertail would be nice, as it would stop me from having to go out and pick one up. So it seems that I'll be looking for an '01. Were the pre-'03s carbed or fuel injected?

·
Registered
5,356 Posts

THE 01-02 r6 is lighter and had over 150 improvements over the 99-00 model. better carbs. better shifter....

every R6 I have ridden needed a jet kit. unless you ride above 8k all day

I had a 01 and put 7k on it. awesome bike for a 600

·
Registered
6,608 Posts

There great bikes , very reliable , i would buy another if i could . Mine was a 99 fully set up for racing .

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

While caging around with the wife today I saw one of the R6s at a dealership, so of course I had to stop by. It was an '01 in red, with Yosh exhaust and smoked double bouble screen. Parked right next to it on either side was a red '97 CBR F3 and a red '01 CBR F4i. Since these were also on my list for consideration, it was a pretty good chance for me to compare. I didn't get to sit as lon as I wanted, but I found the experience to be revealing. The F3 just felt bigger, bulkier. The R6 and F4i in comparison were downright lean. Between the two of them, they definitely felt better when I put my feet on the pegs. However I'm sure even the F3 will be leaps and bounds above what I'm used to.

The F3 had 16k on the odometer, and was going for $4400. The R6 had 20k on the odometer and went for $6000. The F4i was the same price but I can't remember the odometer reading. I'm thinking that's a little high of a price for the R6. Thoughts?

·
Registered
6,608 Posts

[ QUOTE ]
The F3 had 16k on the odometer, and was going for $4400. The R6 had 20k on the odometer and went for $6000. The F4i was the same price but I can't remember the odometer reading. I'm thinking that's a little high of a price for the R6. Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ] Thats why you reaaly need to stay away from dealerships . If the knock off $1500 it may be a good deal

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Care to elaborate on that a bit? What were some of the problems or annoyances you found with the carbs? As a more general question, what are some of the advantages of EFi over carbs? I've heard that throttle control is smoother in general, however the fuel deliver from the R6 carbs was described earlier as being pretty smooth itself. Coming from a rather abrupt '93 EX, will I notice a huge difference between the two? I know I'll also not have to worry about adjusting the choke during warm up, which will be pretty nice.

The other bikes on my list of potentials are the YZF 600R, CBR F4 and F4i, and '99-02 ZX 6R. Of all of those, I think only the F4i is fuel injected.

·
Registered
6,608 Posts

carbs or smoothere going from off throttle , FI is usually smoother thruout the revs , carbs can be a pain in the butt for doing mods to a bike ie Jetting . Carbs can be tempermental if the bike is dropped or trailered often . But motorcycles have used carbs for plenty of years and most people wont have problems withthem as long as your bike is cared for .

·
Registered
2,182 Posts

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ehh, considering I'm selling my '03 w/ 8500 miles w/ undertail exhaust in the $6K range, I'd say yeah, that's a bit high.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

[ QUOTE ]
Jenny said:
Ehh, considering I'm selling my '03 w/ 8500 miles w/ undertail exhaust in the $6K range, I'd say yeah, that's a bit high.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jenny, you've been gushing so much about the Duck (gawd I envy you!) that I forgot you rode an R6. Any experience with the older model?

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

[ QUOTE ]
terrasmak said:
carbs or smoothere going from off throttle , FI is usually smoother thruout the revs , carbs can be a pain in the butt for doing mods to a bike ie Jetting . Carbs can be tempermental if the bike is dropped or trailered often . But motorcycles have used carbs for plenty of years and most people wont have problems with them as long as your bike is cared for .

[/ QUOTE ]

Terra,

I've noticed on my EX that even when the bike is warmed up, if I'm cruising along and kill the throttle then try to get back on, it can be a bit abrupt. I'd always thought that it was just the EX, but could it be just carbed response in general (maybe magnified a bit by the EX)?

·
Registered
16,056 Posts

[ QUOTE ]
ShadeTree said:
[ QUOTE ]
Jenny said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Jenny, you've been gushing so much about the Duck (gawd I envy you!) that I forgot you rode an R6. Any experience with the older model?

[/ QUOTE ]

:lol:

·
Registered
2,182 Posts

hahah, I ride Notto's '99 on the track. The thing is a f*(king TANK! We've beat the everloving piss outta the thing and it's just great. Rode a friend's race-setup '99 also, and holy christ, that thing was set up sooooo nice for the track.

The older is heavier than the new and a little bulkier overall, but that's more cosmetic than anything else. My '03 is WAY twitchier on the throttle, but I think mine's twitchier than most other '03s. My girlfriend's '03 isn't as bad as mine. Umm, the older seat is more comfortable, but compared to my duc, the '03 feels like a f'ing cruiser with a corbin. :lol:

I personally prefer the feel/styling/etc of the '03, but both are amazing bikes.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Jenny,

A Duck and an R6 on call... hey Notto, if it don't work out... (remind me not to show this post to my wife).

Thanks for sharing. While I hadn't thought of it much, I didn't really think that the R6 would be quite the hardy. It's probably because so many of them are thoroghly used and abused out there.

Well... it seems that if everything works out then it's going to come down to a choice between the R6 and the 600R. I don't know if you all saw my little comparison thread over in DR1, but I was looking for a comparison between the 600R, CBR F4/i and ZX6R. The 600R got such rave reviews... how could I not consider it. I was kinda hoping I'd be able to choose between two different brands though. Oh well, it seems that it's the age old choice.

I know that the R6 will be less comfortable - more race rep riding position, probably harder seat, smaller fairings = less wind protection for big guys like me. Am I correct? Any other differences? I've always heard the R6 described as twitchy. Jenny, you mentioned that your steering was twitchy, but I always associated it with the handling characteristics. So... which is it? And what does that mean in English anyway?

I'm assuming that the R6 will be lighter, more flickable, and probably have more of a rush once you hit the fun part of the rev range.

How much did I get right? How much did I leave out?

·
Registered
2,182 Posts

Wrong: Notto, if it don't work out...
Right: Notto is the bestest roommate in the WORLD! We will always 'work out' :laugh:

Wrong: I didn't really think that the R6 would be quite the hardy.
Right: They're tanks! :laugh:

Wrong: I know that the R6 will be less comfortable - more race rep riding position, probably harder seat, smaller fairings = less wind protection for big guys like me.
Right: Well, all Honda's have always just felt "off" to me. The way my legs wrap around the tank...not comfortable at all. Not sure about how aggressive the ergos are as I jumped off the icky 600R quicker than I jumped on. Seat is probably harder (but still better than a duc!!) and the fairings...ehh it's probably only a nominal difference.

Wrong: Jenny, you mentioned that your steering was twitchy
Right: I mentioned the throttle as twitchy. :smile: The steering is great. Even more so with a 120/70 front tire.

Wrong: I'm assuming that the R6 will be lighter, more flickable, and probably have more of a rush once you hit the fun part of the rev range.
Right: The only wrong thing is that it's an assumption. Get out there and find out for yourself!! :laugh:

How much did I leave out?

Looks. Yamaha = sexy. Honda != sexy.

and to finish it off....

The 600R got such rave reviews... how could I not consider it.

Cuz it's a Honda. :lol:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts