Sportbike Racing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Re: 2001 Ducati 996?

$14.600 sounds like a fair deal. I paid $1k less for my 996 biposto last fall. It was a year older and was a demo, but it had a whopping 9 miles on it. As for the free service, that's a Ducati promotion right now, and it looks like a great deal.

As for the RPM range of my 996, it's not good to go below 4k, especially if the engine is hot. During some unfortunate rush hour traffic a couple weeks ago, I had it at about 3500rpm and gassed it. It sputtered, backfired, popped and was generally crappy. It smoothed out over 4k, and has never been a problem otherwise.

As a final note, the gearing it absurdly tall, so consider going with more teeth in the back. Stock sprocket is 36t, and I know people that go up to 41t in back. Just a though.

·
Premium Member
38,149 Posts

About that free service promotion...it is free service for two years. I was also told that Ducati doesn't really like to squeeze in two 6K services but it has been done. How long has this promotion been going, I just heard about it.

·
Registered
47 Posts

A stock 996 is very smooth, even with the restrictive cans. I've ridden a 750 Monster, and it doesn't compare at all to the snatchiness you're talking about. They are geared tall, though, and most people go up two teeth in the back.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Thanks everyone for your input. Well my father is a pround owner of a new 2001 996 Mono. He decided today to go with it. He picks it up on friday night. I think he is going to love it. I get some pics this weekend and post them. Thanks again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts