Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hay guys, i sold my 2001 gix 750 and i just bought a 2001 r1(BRAND NEW) I just put about 20 miles on it and it dose not feel as smooth as the gix, maybe you guys can help me out! do the carbs have to break in, or something. don't get me wrong it is fast and pulls harder than the gix,but it seems a bit rough. i did pull a 1st gear wheelie and then I tried a 2nd gear, but it did not come up (I know the powerband are different). Do you guys clutch it up? On my gix I could get it up in 2nd with a tug on the bars and she would come right up with no problem. could you guys tell me where her sweet spot is, and also the rough idle?

danger

·
Registered
479 Posts
why don't you break it in right, before you ask about wheelies

<font color=blue>2001 R6<font color=blue>
<font color=blue>The Blue one Is Faster<font color=blue>/images/icons/cool.gif

G

·
"could you guys tell me where her sweet spot is..."

Well I could tell ya... but there's moderators lurking.

Congrats on the new purchase! Sweet bike!
I'm gonna go with 500 and suggest finishing the break-in before testing the wheelies. Though I'm having a hard time taking my own advice, so I understand where you're coming from. /images/icons/crazy.gif

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
On the other hand, you are suffering from a well known dissorder called "traitor-goes-and-trades-a-gix-4-a-r1" syndrome :D

On a more serious note, I noticed all the mods that you had on your GSXR750 and comparing that to a stock 01'R1 is almost unfair. Break it in, spend the same $$$ on your R1, and then you'll see the performance difference.

Right now the only difference you see is that with the GSXR750 you had to percolate the engine in order to feel the power, and on you new R1 you don't. But if you put both bikes, your GSXR750 moded and your R1 stock on a dyno, the numbers will be very similar except that with the GSXR you'll have a slighter weight advantage.

2nd gear wheelies are somehow hard on a stock R1.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Great move on getting rid of the gixxer..been there done that...don't miss her a bit...I don't miss her being in the shop for 65 days the first year...not being able to ride it but still making the payments...Congrats on the R1...be nice to her and let her get used to you for the first 500 miles...then let her loose, she wont disappoint you

·
Registered
21 Posts
One suggestion I might make is to make sure you work on getting that suspension set up properly. (the factory settings just did not cut it for me(I don't want to say they suck)...they just did not even come close to cutting it for me. I got on my buddies R1 same year as mine and he has never touched the factory settings...it was a really bad experience. MUSH!!!! I do have a great spec sheet some where around here if you are interested.
This will make a huge difference in the way the bike feels/rides.
P.S. make sure you put some money aside for that Steering Damper.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Didn't the dealer tell you dangergix750......Yamaha's are top of the line sportbikes, the most elite of all sportbikes. Sorry but you just can't turn that R1 into a squid toy like the Gixxer. /images/icons/wink.gif LOL, just messing with ya.

Seriously, congrats on your new R1 but take the experienced words of advice spoken so far on this thread. BREAK HER IN RIGHT and when the time comes, she will give you everything she's got in return.

Ride Safe,

Jen

·
Registered
964 Posts
Welcome to the Real TRUE BLUE!

It's all fun and games untill somebody looses a knee puck.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK thanks for all the nice replies (No one talk about my poor spelling----thanks)ok I have read a couple of foums that say that the break-in should be hard and then some say to take it light. OK i had a 01 gix 750 that was sweet and I broke her in right. My friend has the same bike with no mods and I had to take it to the shop for him one day and man that thing "ROCKS" he did wheel stands in the dealers parking lot. I told him about the break-in and he said yea right and rode hard for the first 2 thousand miles (he did not change his oil until 2000 miles) when i took it to the shop for the first service). his bike pulled harder than mine and would come up in 2nd with out a tug on the bars (but i did roll on and off the gas. so please let me no what you guys think, you guy have not only help me with my spelling you guys have made me much wiser rider! THANKS

danger

·
Registered
11 Posts
i have noticed that every one is giving you a hard time about breaking your bike the right way before you test the wheelies. i just got a 02 black and silver R1, i put a easy 100 miles on it, then i have been spanking on it ever since. so go on and test all the wheelies you want. you have my blessing. but i have noticed the same thing about my new R1 it does not seem as smooth as some of the other bikes i have rode. my exgirl friend has a gixxer 750 and it is smoother than the r1. but the r1 has more performance than the gixxer. i have 1400 miles on my new r1 and it has not smoothed out a bit. i guess it will be some thing you have to live with.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts