Sportbike Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I NEED HELP ON WHAT BIKE SHOULD I BUY. 2002 F4I (7925.OO OUT THE DOOR)OR A 2001 929 (9500.00 OUT THE DOOR).
I AM NEW TO RIDING AND WANT SOMETHING JUST TO CRUISE AROUND TOWN ON. I AM 5"9" AND WEIGH 160 LBS.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Kawasaki EX500
Suzuki GS500
Suzuki sv650

Or any <$1000 standard (no fairing) bike you can get.

Either of the bikes you mentioned are waaaaaaay too much bike for a beginner. Plus you WILL drop it! Even if it's just a 5mph tipover. Start off small and cheap. Find out if motorcycles are for you and move up from there.

Take a course!!!

good luck /images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Your height and weight pretty much don't matter.. You should go to the Newbie forum and see what they have posted as some good beginner bikes. Have you even taken the MSF course???

<font color=red>SilverF4/images/icons/cool.gif
<font color=blue>"Respect the Wrist!!!"

·
Registered
61 Posts
You just started riding and you're EVEN thinking about a 929 or an F4i? Are you crazy? *had to close the Buell ad*

Start off small, and work your way up. You don't want to be another guy on this forum who bought a 600 supersport or a liter bike as their first ride and totalled it, or worse, got killed.

Try the EX500, SV650, GS500 or something similar, or if you really want a sporty bike, check out a CBR600F2. Riding is about your ability to handle the bike, not about how cool you look in the parking lot. Get a small bike to learn on, and once you'er comfortable with it, move up.

·
Registered
7,824 Posts
haha, do i go with the 929 or busa ot start out with? hhaha...jesus god almighty, get an older 600 don't be an f'n poser, lay a TON of miles on that bike, learn to ride it fast, before oyu get a beautiful bike and ruin it immediately cause you're a weak newbie rider.

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
Won't look too cool stalling at a light or falling over in a parking lot. You'll look even dumber in a coffin. Buy a clapped out SV650(suzuki) and use the rest of all that dosh on a helmet, leathers, gloves, and boots. Don't be one of the guys with more money than sense, patience grasshopper you'll get there.

HP is a poor substitute for experience and ability.

·
Registered
55 Posts
My first bike after i received my licence in sept 2000 was a Honda SP1. No problems. Since then it's been a Duc 996s and now the mighty 954RR.

It's aal in the wrist and between the ears. If you have control over thise two you shoud be fine. In my opinion an ER5 or SV650 cary enough speed to get you into serious trouble, just like the larger bikes. On the other hand, the chassis, brakes etc on the larger bikes are much better and that is the important part.

If you can afford it and you have some sense of control you can just about by any bike and still ride save.

However, dropping a 954RR/996S/SP1 from, lets say, the jiffy, will cost a ton more than when dropping a ER5.

My 2 euro cents...

·
Registered
424 Posts
These guys are talking alot of sense but more than likely you will go out and buy one of those bikes anyway so if you do, at least get the F4i.It is a great handling bike and way more forgiving than the 929.But bear this in mind it is extremely powerful and can easily get you hurt/killed if your not careful.I realize other smaller older bikes arent as "cool" looking as an F4i but would you rather be in one piece while learning to ride for a year or so? Then when you get some fundamental skills down go buy whatever you want.

Hangup that damn cellphone and drive!

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I started on a EX 500 and rode it for 9 months and then got my F4i. It was a really good choice because i was able to more fully enjoy riding a bike with good power and suspension. I also had the throttle control to not kill myself in the twisties. In the long run you will be faster if you start on a smaller bike because you learn to ride fast with its limitations. When you step up to a bigger bike with better components it will make going fast easier.

redCBR

Fly N LOW

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
F4i is alot of bike for a newbie, but just take it easy and you will be ok.

Professionals are predictable, but the world is full of amateurs

·
Registered
432 Posts
BE SMART!

And listen to what everyones saying, both bikes COULD be too much bike for even ppl who have ridden for a few yrs let alone a new rider altogether!
The SV650 is an AWESOME bike many experienced riders/racers use them on the street and track. Then with the $3000-4500 you will be saving get ur arse to a local track club and sign up to as many track days you cld handle and be prepared to have an absolute blast!!! I can just about guarantee you after one season of track riding 2-3x per month you WILL surpass a crap load of riders w/ several yrs of riding. If that is the type of riding ur looking to get into ur gonna find out real soon how much fun it is to out ride bigger and sportier bikes on that SV. Trust me on this one!
Gdluck!

Proud owner of a '00RC51 & '94RX7/images/icons/smile.gif !!
[email protected]

·
Registered
355 Posts
My first bike is a 97 600f3 and have fallen in love with it. It still has a lot of power to kill me but i know this and take it easy for the first few months, I put about 2500 miles on it and still haven't took it to it's full potential yet. The older cbr's are good first bikes in my opinion. I was going to get a sv650 because I rode a friends and was a blast to ride but the deal on the f3 was too good to pass up. Try to stay away from the liter bikes for awhile, I want to get a r1 real bad but at current rate I figure I have another good 2-3 years or riding the bike I have now before it makes any sense for me to put all that money into a new R1. Whatever you get just remember it's all up too you how safe to be. I layed my bike down a few weeks after I got it and it is very expensive to fix and I wasn't going very fast. Have fun!

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Try to get a better deal on the 929 and buy it.

Be carefull though. Know your limits and those of the bike.

·
Registered
6,758 Posts
If you really want to go new get a Suzuki SV650S, thats a GREAT beginners bike for someone who "has" to go new...and I think it looks A LOT better than a 500 ninja or 500ex. Also keep an eye out for a cheap F2 or F3, even if it has damage...

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
If you're talking about the better deal, I'd get the 929. It has poser value, and sure you might kill yourself but you already knew that. No use to treat you like a child and limit your choices, right?

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
That F4i is a good deal out the door. I def. think the 929 should be going for less and there was a recall on some of them for the clutch or something.

As far as what you want to use it for, "cruising around", the F4i should be suitable; and good for your size also. You have tons of power with the 600 and the looks of it are awesome. The 929 would be a waste of money IMO.

Honestly, if you are new at this, go take a course on how to ride and control a motorcycle before you buy brand new.

-Dara

·
Registered
12 Posts
Man I had a 600 and now have a '01 929, Yep some of the other is true; they might be to much bike if your trying to turn pro on your 1st bike. If your not then see if you can't get a better deal on the 929 and buy that. I honestly think that would be your best bet. That way your not trading and wasting more $$ six months down the road.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
I disagree with most people here. It's not the bike that's dangerous... it's YOU! Get the F4i! It's light and handles great and turns REAL easy. You'll be fine! Just take 1 or 2 rider safety courses and don't be a show off. I think some people like to say stuff like "that's way too much bike for a beginner" because they are insecure and need to build their self esteem by telling someone else that they should by a smaller bike. It makes them appear to be the "expert" that way. Stupid. I bought a "smaller" bike with my first bike and upgraded in 2 months! What a waste of money! It's not the way to go anymore. Hondas are soooo refined and smooth that a beginner will have NO problem with whatever they choose! I'm so sick of the tuff guys and their dumb ass advice! Go buy a REAL bike and have fun!

·
Registered
7,824 Posts
shaft don't criticize, your older 1000f would be a heavy dog compared to the 929 with it's more than likely equal power and way less flab, go with a 600 man, for sure.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts