Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
I use two milk crates to lift my rear wheel off the ground. I use them much like a swing-arm stand.

1) stand on kick-stand side of bike. Lean bike towards you.
2) Place a milk crate (or bottle jack) under the end of the swing-arm on the side of the bike opposite you.
3) Push bike away from you, causing bike to sit on top of the edge of the milk crate.
4) Place 2nd milk crate (or bottle jack) under the swingarm on the side closest to you.
5) Allow bike to rest on milk crate closest to you and then adjust each milk crate as needed.

I have found this to be a reasonably sturdy method of holding the bike up. If you're careful, and ensure that the milk crate sits level on the ground all the way around, there is little chance your bike will fall off.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Check to see if your swingarm pivot is hollow. If so, measure it and go to the hardware store and get the largest size drill rod that with fit through it. Get a piece long enough so that it sticks out a foot or so on each side of the bike. Use a floor jack or a few friends to lift the bike and set the drill rod into jack stands. That should hold the rear end up and level.

If it's solid, try these other ideas!

·
Registered
350 Posts
Lean it up on the kickstand on the one side and slide a jackstand under the footpeg mount then lift the other side and slide another on in under it...I had to use this method while changing my shock.

·
eScreaming Dizbuster
12,112 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Micah said:
you could take off the bottom fairing and use a floor jack.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or use a scissor jack under the shock linkage, with a block of wood to pad it. Loosen all fasteners first, and jack it carefully while keeping an eye on the sidestand. I've done it that way many times.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
1slowF3 said:
Check to see if your swingarm pivot is hollow. If so, measure it and go to the hardware store and get the largest size drill rod that with fit through it. Get a piece long enough so that it sticks out a foot or so on each side of the bike. Use a floor jack or a few friends to lift the bike and set the drill rod into jack stands. That should hold the rear end up and level.

If it's solid, try these other ideas!

[/ QUOTE ]

I've done this using two jack stands - but without the need for helpers. Just put the rod through the swingarm pivot whilst the bike is on the kickstand. Adjust the jackstand on the opposite side of the bike from the kickstand to just touch the rod, then lean the bike upright, levering the tire off the ground. Slide the other jackstand under the rod on the kickstand side, and you're done.

If I, 150lb brute that I am, can do this alone with my ZX9R, so can you
:waytogo:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts