Re: pics that would \"gut\" a guy named pascal... :(

man, they sure didn't waste any time...

2/2

·
eCancelChristmas
13,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

yeah, i guess hansen wants to patronize a local American company and also have a manufacturer who can respond quickly to their development needs. remus probably couldn't do that...? or at least not to the degree they (hmc) would've liked. the supertrapp co. is located in ohio i believe...?

·
Registered
5,036 Posts

Shamar, I think they had that bike put aside for Doug before Pascal left the team. I sincerely believe that Pascal rode the Daytona only because Doug hadn't signed a contract by then.

Ever have those daydreams about being extremely wealthy?, well right now I would want to be so I could field a privateer team with Pascal riding just so he could stick it to HMC. Maybe have Polen as 2nd rider and get Ferracci to run it...you know, Old Skool style /images/icons/laugh.gif

Does anyone else think that the only thing made in Ohio on that bike is the Kerker nameplate?. Those are factory built engines and there most certainly is an exhaust system speced for it already, HMC just auctioned out the name plate rights to the highest bidder. Its not really un-common though, I leafed through the Joe Rocket 2002 catalog and I couldn't find any leathers that looked remotely like the ones NIcky, Duhamel and others were wearing. I don't mean graphics but the actual design and construction. As much as Nicky is worth I am sure he wouldn't be allowed to ride in anything less than top of the line custom made kit. Joe Rocket just paid the most to put their name on the leathers.

Take care,
Gregory

I could have been a squid, but I was too busy posing.

·
eCancelChristmas
13,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

yeah red, i was gonna say something about that too. the bike being all "chandlered up" sure does "stink" of premeditation on the part of hansen. it's as if that #10 bodywork was sitting in a back room of that "corse cafe" dealership. :(

·
Registered
2,010 Posts

redtwin,
It's funny that you said that about the leathers.. I was just telling a friend how Dainese and Spidi don't make the leathers for the race teams.... Corner does. Funny how that is, isn't it?

James Nunez
Monster Hooligan
http://www.motowheels.com
Sacto, CA

·
Registered
5,036 Posts

Its blatant if you ask me. I am not saying there is anything wrong with having the best possible protection, but to have various names on them is mis-leading. I wonder how many guys ran out and bought Joe Rocket gear thinking they were buying the same protection "Nicky gets"?. When in fact the majority of the Joe Rocket gear I have seen is cheaply made and quite possibly not very safe at all. It goes back to Shamar's other post about manufacturers taking the motorcycling consumers for fools. A few years ago there was an AGV line of leathers out that cost twice as much as the other AGV line, it was obvious that the leathers weren't actually made by AGV and they were honest about it as there were labeled as "Made for AGV by Prexport" or something to the effect. AGV still got their name on the brightly coloured bits, but buyers could tell that there was an obvious difference between the two. Maybe the Joe Rocket stuff says the same thing on the inside, but who gets to see the inside of Nicky's leathers?, certainly not the guy on the phone ordering a "Nicky" suit for $800 and thinking its the same as Nicky wears.

Take care,
Gregory

·
Registered
296 Posts

MonsterJ, where is Corner stuff available? do they have a website. i didn't know about any of this. i think it's wrong. it's like false advertising. so the gloves, boots, helmets that bayliss and the others wear are not dainese and suomy? If thats true I wouldn't be surprised if a bike says kawasaki but it's really a korean bike.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts

I sell Corner. /images/icons/blush.gif It's not quite what you think. Dainese went to Corner to make the suites. It's Dainese's design and thier specs... they just contracted it out to Corner. That happens in every level and type of business, not just in this case. Think about how cars are made.... that's a good example. Do you think Ford actually manufactures everything they sell? Another example is Teknik backprotectors. They are IDENTICAL to the Joe Rocket's. There's some dude in China cranking these things out like a mofo stamping "JR" or "Teknik" on em.

James Nunez
Monster Hooligan
http://www.motowheels.com
Sacto, CA

·
eClogs
8,998 Posts

That corner suit looks like my Spidi suit....
http://www.spidi.it

(mine is yellow off course)
Same principle?

Be afraid, be very afraid!

·
Registered
5,036 Posts

There is nothing wrong with having a 3rd party or contractor producing the goods. The issue at hand was that the average joe looking for gear and buying based on what he sees the racers wearing won't be getting the same thing. If he knows that, fine, but I tend to think that many of them actually pay extra for brand XYZ as they think its the same as the racers wear. How many people will run out and buy a Kerker system for their Ducati because they see the HMC superbike team running it?. Who here actually believes that Kerker actually makes and sells the same system as seen on the superbike?. That is beyond simple advertising, it is deceiving the consumer.

Take care,
Gregory

·
Registered
640 Posts

Well, now that we're on the subject...

I bought a set of Teknic leathers, and I was very impressed with their new stuff. It seems much better constructed, but hopefully I won't have to test that. The only problem I have is fit. The thing is, it's with any off the shelf suit, and to be honest, I can't afford a $1000 custom made one. So, for you experts out there, is it worth it to look into leather alteration? The suit is great in all but a couple of places, and they seem like easy fixes, but I haven't really looked into it. (It's a little too loose in the waist, and the arms are just a *touch* too long.) I don't think it's so loose it's unsafe, but its just one of those things. Any ideas?

If I put what I wanted in this signature, I would piss too many people off.

·
Registered
5,036 Posts

I know Z custom leathers will repair any suit, even one they didn't make so maybe they will modify any suit too. They might get expensive though so check around for local leather shops, even those B&D shops. They make all kinds of leather gear and might have the expertise and equipment to make alterations.

Take care,
Gregory

·
Registered
47 Posts

if you're riding on the race track it's very important to have a suit that fits very well. it should be tight and pretty uncomfortable when standing up, with no loose areas. the tighter it is, the less likely it is to catch and tear while sliding. don't skimp on safety equipment!

you can get a reasonably priced custom fit suit from vanson, syed, tiger angel, or bates. (around $1200-1600)

·
Registered
6,839 Posts

More on Pascal from Dean Adams:

Knowledgeable sources say that Pascal Picotte is very close to cutting a deal with the Austin Bell County Superbike race team to race their Ducati Superbike in 2002.

continued:
http://www.amasuperbike.com/2002-Mar/020326pp.htm

<font color=red>Live it</font color=red> <font color=blue>></font color=blue> <font color=red>Ride it</font color=red> <font color=blue>></font color=blue> <font color=red>Race it</font color=red>

·
Registered
6,839 Posts

My guess is that Dean's source is Pascal's manager (Labrosse) which means that this is more truth than rumor!/images/icons/wink.gif

kman

<font color=red>Live it</font color=red> <font color=blue>></font color=blue> <font color=red>Ride it</font color=red> <font color=blue>></font color=blue> <font color=red>Race it</font color=red>

1 - 20 of 30 Posts