Sportbikes Motorcycle Racing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
eCancelChristmas
13,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1/3

i wanna know what the dilly is with the 208 patterned DOT compound tires fitted. although similiar, the pattern's not identical. there's more tread near the edge unlike the true race 208. that's ballsy for kawi to put such a pattern on a street bike likely to be ridden in the rain.

·
eCancelChristmas
13,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
2/3

·
eCancelChristmas
13,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
3/3

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Shamar1,
The new 208 seems to be a pretty nice tire so far. I've been in some twisties and they seem to handle really well. I didn't push it becasue I'm still breaking her in, but it seemed pretty planted.

·
eCancelChristmas
13,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well just be sure to check the forecast before you leave out. i'm sure they're superb in the dry. yet as relatively heavy and powerful as that bike is, i'd personally hate to experience any wet road conditions on those OEM tires.

it seems like they would've fitted the new 207rr's if any thing...? why develop a one-off 208 "rr" fitment for a bike like the 12r...? man, i wish i had made this observation before i went to daytona. i would've posed the question directly to jim allen or dave wilkins. either way, enjoy her... :)

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
My friend seems to like and is happy with the new 12r's turnin, even with that monstrosity of a rear tire. /images/icons/smile.gif

But I'd like to see him replace the D208 in a few weeks.

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
SHAMAR, I'm probably misunderstanding you, but, when you say "more tread near the edge of the tire".........do you mean those nice cuts in the tread near the right and left edge where it meets the sidewall?

Putting grooves there will *improve* wet traction in corners, not hurt it. *Not* having any grooves on the edge of the tire makes it more like a track tire, with more surface contact, but at greater risk of slippage in the rain.

Beautiful bike though.........

BA
"<font color=blue>How about never, is never good for you??</font color=blue>"

·
Registered
404 Posts
The 12R is looking better, that little redesign of the front end looks good. Now if thwy could only make it lighter.

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
WHy make it lighter? To ruin one of the best streetbikes on the planet? I don't agree, not everything is measured in horsepower and wet weights.

·
eCancelChristmas
13,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah big al... i did notice they did that at least with grooves, but still... overall, the spacing between those grooves (at the edge and at the center) is still offering a lot more uninterrupted surface area (akin to a slick) than most other fitments out there.

from my engineers perspective, there are like a gazzilion other "off the rack" brands (ie. 010s, sportecs, pilots, 207s, dragons, etc. etc) that would seem more appropriate for a bike that is just a likely to be used for "sport touring" as it would knee dragging. again, the key phrase is "off the rack". from a manufacturer's perspective, "off the rack" or "off the shelf" is always better economically than incurring development costs for something new.

development costs, might i add for bike, that is certainly not "singular" in it's focus... say like a 600 supersport bike or a gixxer1000, an R1, or a 996... know what i mean...??? the only other fitments more "semi-slick" than that 208 would be the supercorsa's, rennsport's, or the new michelin s2s...??? and unlike the first 2, even though DOT approved... i'm not even sure the new michelins are even ideal for general street use.

·
eCancelChristmas
13,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
just had an "epiphany"... i just realized the '02 12r shares those OEM 208F's buns with the new '02 R1 of all machines...? hmmmmn, certainly two different focus of bikes... :( but i reckon, it certainly does give new 12r owners something to brag about... so long as the sun is shining... :)

also, i turns out a buddy of mine here in new jersey was the one who bought that blue 12r... imagine my surprise...!!! LOL

1 - 17 of 17 Posts